Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Buying A Static Caravan

Buying A Static Caravan Advice for those about to purchase a static caravan.

Old 13-03-2018, 06:21

Default First time buyer (kind off)

Hi folks

New member here looking for some thoughts and guidance please

A year ago I bought my first static which was an older model with only a year or so left before needing replaced. I liked the pitch it was on so went for it. Thought it was a good way to experience having my own caravan with spending a fortune. The outcome is we love having it and are now looking to replace it by the end of the year with a new one.

The park were on used to let you bring on a van uptown 5 years old but they've changed that and you now can only buy new, and have to go through the park. Its hard to get a break down off their costs, but it seems about 5500 above what the rrp of the van is. This is delivery, siting, removal of old van, any foundation work, etc. Its a bit more than I had bargained for but from looking around it seems there is no set figure around the UK and they can vary quite a bit, but 5500 seems to be somewhere in the middle.

We like the Pemberton Avon and Marlow. The Marlow 35x12 with residential spec and canexel cladding, trace heating, integrated washer/dryer and fridge freezer is coming in at 48,500 all in. Still waiting on a price for the Avon.

That is a bit more than we are looking to spend, so I ave checked some other websites for Willerby, ABI etc. It is hard to find a price on the websites for these vans with the same upgrades as the Pemberton such as residential spec and canexel cladding. Is the only way to get prices for each van to go through the park and get them to get a quote?

We are going to be up just outside Aviemore so think the residential spec will be quite a good benefit in the winter months, although we have coped over winter in the almost 20 year old Willerby we have at the moment. Do you think its a worthwhile upgrade or is the money better spent elsewhere? I read some great tips from a forum member on one of the threads about putting reflective insulation behind radiators etc.

Last question, when it comes to buying is there usually room for negotiating with the quotes either with the dealer or the park? Are there ways of bringing cost down like if someone wanted the van that could pick it up themselves and take it away?

Many thanks in advance, il be sure to keep reading through all the helpful threads and look forward to hearing from the other members

Old 13-03-2018, 09:41

If you are in the Cairngorms especially in the winter, get a resi spec van if funds allow. We live even further north (50 miles beyond Inverness) on the coast and last summer upgraded to a resi spec Willerby Sheraton with trace heating. Proved its worth in the recent very cold spells.

Last edited by edders; 13-03-2018 at 09:44.
Old 13-03-2018, 10:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by edders View Post
If you are in the Cairngorms especially in the winter, get a resi spec van if funds allow. We live even further north (50 miles beyond Inverness) on the coast and last summer upgraded to a resi spec Willerby Sheraton with trace heating. Proved its worth in the recent very cold spells.
Thanks edders. Yeah I can imagine the extra insulation will be worth it in the winter.

If you don't mind me asking how much was it to upgrade to the rest spec on the Willerby? There are a couple of Willerby models we like but can't get a price with any upgrades just the standard price.
Old 13-03-2018, 10:36

On the Willerby, to upgrade to resi spec is 565 inc vat. The following link takes you to the Willerby Price List. https://www.willerby.com/brochures-price-lists#no-back Siting is extra. Hope this helps? Trace heating for some reason is not on the list so not sure if still a factory option. No doubt can be fitted after. Mine came with it in already as an unexpected bonus.
Old 13-03-2018, 11:56

My experience is that you can be successful in negotiating a reduction. However, all parks are different. If you can't get a reduction in price, you can always ask for 12 months free pitch fees. You have to play the game in a good manner but hard, otherwise, you will get nothing. Explain how much maximum you have to spend and that you can't go over that figure. If you start to waver, you lose.

Don't forget the park will also be getting a commission from the manufacturer. They don't do the job for love.

Good luck.
Old 15-03-2018, 03:26

Thanks for the reply guys much appreciated.

I spoke with Willerby the other day and they have said they don't do residential spec on vans other than the top 4 models, so not going to be an option if we go with Willerby. I got a call back from the show ground in Lanark so we will take a trip over when I get home to view some anyway.

I will be going up to the caravan soon and will have a proper chat with them when im up, hopefully we will be able to sort something out.

We are not due to upgrade until the very end of the year so Im not sure if prices will have changed by then or not, but good to get an understanding of costs in advance, plus I imagine we will need to order a few months at least to minimise time without a van.
Old 15-03-2018, 12:32

At least you have time to sort things out. Good luck, I hope everything goes to plan.