Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Buying A Static Caravan

Buying A Static Caravan Advice for those about to purchase a static caravan.

Old 13-09-2016, 18:24

Smile I'm considering purchasing a new Pemberton-any advice welcome

Hello,

I am a complete newbie to both this forum and buying a static caravan so would very much welcome any advice please.

I have had holidays in statics before and thoroughly enjoyed them so am confident the lifestyle is right for my husband, dog and I. We have found a park we like in the South of France and have reserved a plot, we now just need to buy a home to go on it! It can't be any bigger than a 35' by 12' and will be for holidays only, not to live in, although this may become an option in the future if we decide to retire to France - park rules permitting.

I have been conducting some research on the internet, and plan to go to the Beaulieu show in a couple of weeks. The home I am most interested in is a Pemberton Marlow 35' by 12' 2017 model, and from what I have read online, Pemberton appear to be a good quality manufacturer. I have however, read a few negative reviews (about 4 years old though) that Pemberton's after sales service is very poor, and have been struggling to find some more recent reviews - good, bad or indifferent.

Would anyone please be willing to share their opinion of Pemberton as a manufacturer - or any other comments in general about other manufacturers' quality?

I have been reading through many of the discussions already on this forum and have gleaned lots of really useful information about caravan ownership in general, so thank you in advance to anyone who comments.

Many thanks.

Old 13-09-2016, 18:51
Supporting Member

Would you be buying the van in the UK and transporting it to France? If so, I doubt the warranty would make a difference. If you're buying in France then your first port of call with any faults would, as in UK, be with the supplier.

Pemberton make excellent quality vans but a few of the manufacturers make export vans that are quite different to UK spec. The furnishings seem more basic and usually no carpets, I think it's because the weather tends to be better which negates the need for carpets and heavy curtains, unless you're planning on a ski resort

ML.
Old 13-09-2016, 19:09

Hi ML,

I am planning to buy a UK van and having transferred to the park in France - I have a contract with Caravans in the Sun to do this (who have been great so far). The park is on the Mediterranean coast so definitely in the sunshine, with a low winter temperature of 10 degrees. I have heard though that double glazing and good insulation is still important as it keeps out the heat as well as the cold. I have spotted on a few websites that there are European models available, but with limited information. Hopefully I'll find out more at the show.

Many thanks for your reply.
Old 14-09-2016, 12:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litlivvy View Post
Hi ML,

I am planning to buy a UK van and having transferred to the park in France - I have a contract with Caravans in the Sun to do this (who have been great so far). The park is on the Mediterranean coast so definitely in the sunshine, with a low winter temperature of 10 degrees. I have heard though that double glazing and good insulation is still important as it keeps out the heat as well as the cold. I have spotted on a few websites that there are European models available, but with limited information. Hopefully I'll find out more at the show.

Many thanks for your reply.
Hi Litlivvy and to the forum.

I'm glad that you understand the importance of good insulation and D/G. I live in Spain and the heat can be quite oppressive in the summer, so it really is a necessity. Also if you are planning to visit in July/August, you may wish to consider air conditioning. Before you do that you would be well advised to see if the electricity supply on the site is up up using A/C. You may find it isn't.

Good luck at the show and do't forget to ask lots of questions. A list might be a good idea so that you don't forget anything.
Old 14-09-2016, 17:14

Pemberton make a fantastic van, you want a good mid range unit with dg, ch and air cond.
Old 14-09-2016, 17:32

There are a few on our site and the owners seem pleased with them.

Good friends are hard to find, difficult to leave and impossible to forget.
Old 14-09-2016, 18:21

Many thanks everyone for your responses. A list of questions is a really good idea which I will definitely take with me. This is a great site and hopefully I will be able to reciprocate once I have some experience!
Old 14-09-2016, 18:22

I have never owned a Pemberton, but wish I did because I really like them.
Old 15-09-2016, 07:58

Save me asking pemberton, is factory fitted air con expensive??
Old 16-09-2016, 06:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigland2003 View Post
Save me asking pemberton, is factory fitted air con expensive??
Not sure what price A/C is from the manufacturer or if they even offer it. There will be lots of private firms who are capable of fitting it in vans and lodges in France as there are in Spain. My son is an A/C engineer and we had an A/C company here before the Crisis in 2008.

I'm not an engineer but I would think that the main unit would need to be sited on a flat plinth on the ground. Noise isn't a problem with most of the new units.