Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > The Lounge > General Discussion > Hobbies

Hobbies Do you have a hobby? Discuss it here

Old 18-03-2011, 08:06

Default Caravan Magpie

Wrote this as part of my other thread and got me thinking yes it is an hobby of mine not I hasten to add something I do at home
MAGPIE HOBBIE ....... Take a walk round the park see what has been thrown out at the various bins Last week I acquired caravan steps, a mini hand-held vacuum and a portable tv for the bedroom all in perfect working order.
Hasten to add here Hubby does not partake in my magpie hunt he cringes everytime I walk in and say look what I have found and cringes even more when I say get the car I cant carry so and so lol I don't drive.
am I the only Scratter (as my children would call it ) to do this it is one of the highights of my weekend at the van It is hubby that has nicknamed me Magpie but I ony take what as been thrown away I prefer to call it re-cycling

Old 18-03-2011, 08:16

Location: Barmouth, Gwynedd - where the mountains meet the sea

As I've just said on the 'plans' thread, this is a great idea, if you are brave enough to do it! Have to point out for safety reasons, obviously don't collect any thing electrical unless you know it hasn't rained on it while it's been sitting there, could have been lying around since last weekend when someone was going home.(just a thought)
I saw some wood in a large skip that was near the office last weekend that OH wanted to line the bottom of our 'new' (used) storage box, so I went into the office and asked permission to take it. They said yes (but said no to 'THAT DECKING) so I took it.- not the decking!
Some sites may be a bit funny with you, so don't upset anyone, and ALWAYS make sure it has been discarded.

Live life forwards, but learn from it backwards ...

http://s1090.photobucket.com/user/ae...?sort=2&page=1

Last edited by Angela M; 18-03-2011 at 16:21.
Old 18-03-2011, 08:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by C@lm-Se@s View Post
Wrote this as part of my other thread and got me thinking yes it is an hobby of mine not I hasten to add something I do at home
MAGPIE HOBBIE ....... Take a walk round the park see what has been thrown out at the various bins Last week I acquired caravan steps, a mini hand-held vacuum and a portable tv for the bedroom all in perfect working order.
Hasten to add here Hubby does not partake in my magpie hunt he cringes everytime I walk in and say look what I have found and cringes even more when I say get the car I cant carry so and so lol I don't drive.
am I the only Scratter (as my children would call it ) to do this it is one of the highights of my weekend at the van It is hubby that has nicknamed me Magpie but I ony take what as been thrown away I prefer to call it re-cycling
Must confess I can't pass a skip without peering in, they hold a certain fasination with what other people throw away. I used to have allotments and got lots of things to use there. I did ask though as I would have died of embarrassment if someone had shouted Oi as I was walking away.
Old 18-03-2011, 08:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by arronbrook View Post
Must confess I can't pass a skip without peering in, they hold a certain fasination with what other people throw away. I used to have allotments and got lots of things to use there. I did ask though as I would have died of embarrassment if someone had shouted Oi as I was walking away.
Oh gosh I would die!! Although its great to buy certain things brand new, I love a bargain, and a 'freebie' is even better, recycle recycle recycle...

Old 18-03-2011, 08:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angela B View Post
As I've just said on the 'plans' thread, this is a great idea, if you are brave enough to do it! Have to point out for safety reasons, obviously don't collect any thing electrical unless you know it hasn't rained on it while it's been sitting there, could have been lying around since last weekend when someone was going home.(just a thought)
I saw some wood in a large skip that was near the office last weekend that OH wanted to line the bottom of our 'new' (used) storage box, so I went into the office and asked permission to take it. They said yes (but said no to 'THAT DECKING) so I took it.
Some sites may be a bit funny with you, so don't upset anyone, and ALWAYS make sure it has been discarded.
I dont take anything from the skips near the office lol I have never thought to look there hmmm an idea forms No I only take from the bins around the caravans and only things that have been thrown/put there
Old 18-03-2011, 08:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by C@lm-Se@s View Post
I dont take anything from the skips near the office lol I have never thought to look there hmmm an idea forms No I only take from the bins around the caravans and only things that have been thrown/put there
Calm- sorry, i didn't mean it that way silly! I'm just saying KEEP SAFE! Skips near the office are full of 'golden eggs' me thinks

Old 18-03-2011, 11:21

yes it reminds me as a kid there used to be a dirt track near our house with two skips in it, anyway its amazing what peeps throw way.

i pulled out an electric welder from one once me and a mate took tries and turns carrying it home as it was very heavy and gave it to my dad who was a welder, he took the freid earth cable off it and mad a new one up and fitted it to the welder and it worked i was 10 then and i now have it in my garage at home and i am now 49 its old but it still works just as it did when we found it
in Sunny Cornwall.
Old 18-03-2011, 17:04

Location: Towyn North Wales..where the Brummies meet the Scousers.

Reminds me of our touring days.After really windy nights when the windbreaks would suffer a snapped pole or two i would always have a crafty walk past the site skip which would always have a couple of complete windbreaks chucked in with only the odd damaged pole for replacements.
Old 19-03-2011, 07:57

Default Scratting

Hi. It is recycling. We should be thanked for it. My wife hates me doing it but I cannot pass anything by that I think I can make use of. It is suprising what you can do with things. Quite often something different to its original purpose.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.
Old 19-03-2011, 18:06

Smile Fingers Crossed They Say Yes!!

Well, here I am, at Barmouth, and I've found our that the caravan infront of me is 'being scrapped'

MAGPIE ALERT!!!

So, I plucked up courage, and went to the office, and asked if I could have the oven and hob, (which look in fantastic condition and quite new) and the fire which also looks in really good condition... I suggested one of their gas geezers could transfer them both whilst doing the gas safety check. The site owner didn't know how much the fitting would cost, as it 'depends on what connections are needed' he said

I also remembered to ask for a price BEFORE anything is moved (just in-case it's a ridiculous amount!)

So I'm waiting with baited breath

Keep your fingers crossed for me!!

Altogether now... one for sorrow, two for joy, three for a girl ........