Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Before Owning A Caravan

Before Owning A Caravan Discussion and advice on all aspects involved in deciding if a static caravan is right for you.

Old 06-09-2011, 14:33

Send a message via Skype™ to Another1
Default Confused!!

Been out and about this last weekend viewing sites. We have found one nr were we life, so we can carry one working, question is how do you check the site IS residential. We have contacted the site and asked if they are, they replied Yes, but advertise them selfs as a holiday park (open all year}, with a caviat that the said residents vacate for 7days over the year. When asked if we get a postal address, the owner stated yes, like everyother resident. Is there a body that sites register with, that i can checkup with?

Old 06-09-2011, 15:34

Jumping in before the park owners......I would suspect that this is not residential.The local council will have issued a licence.....There is a site in Rhyl that is 12 months BUT not residential.
Surely if it is residential you would have to pay FULL council tax and FULL price for gas and electric.and be on the ELECTORAL roll.
Old 06-09-2011, 15:40

Location: Towyn North Wales..where the Brummies meet the Scousers.

Yes,agree with treetopper on this and i know the one in rhyl that you are on about treetopper.If its 12 month residential then you are obliged to pay the rates etc as on bricks and mortar
Old 06-09-2011, 16:11

Is there some way of checking the site is residental?
Old 06-09-2011, 16:23

Location: Towyn North Wales..where the Brummies meet the Scousers.

You might be able to check with the BHHPA but im not certain.
Old 06-09-2011, 23:40

Without wishing to sound stupid, is that in Scotland or England? The law varies.

Personal view, without knowing all the fact is it's not a residential park as you can't occupy if 365 days of the year.

Agree with the coments about paying council tax, if it's residential you should.

Dont let the postal address fool you. I could take post for my customers, but I choose not to because of the responsibility, the park owner can make that rule, have a look on www.ukparks.co.UK and see if the park is listed as residential or holiday.

It's interesting to note that a lot of sales people and even park owners don't understand that not having a permanent residence and spending every day of the season on park deems it your main / only residence. I know that sounds mad, but in have these conversations all the time

Finally, well done for asking the right questions and doing your home work. Feel free to PM me if I can be of any help. I like people who have their eyes open and are thinking things through.

Cheers

Andy

You Can Find Us In The Following Places:
Website -- Flickr Album -- FaceBook -- Blog -- Twitter -- YouTube
Old 07-09-2011, 06:29

Thanks for the replys, we have made an appointment {2nd one) with the site, with the intention of getting the imfo i need. We are sat here complying a A4sheet of questions ranging from Ariels to Water charges. As a yorkie, if i aint happy..my will sit in my pocket
Old 07-09-2011, 06:46
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another1 View Post
Thanks for the replys, we have made an appointment {2nd one) with the site, with the intention of getting the imfo i need. We are sat here complying a A4sheet of questions ranging from Ariels to Water charges. As a yorkie, if i aint happy..my will sit in my pocket
nice one
do your homework, listen to all the advice and enjoy looking around the site again ...
.if you dont get it right, then it is an expensive mistake to make.... xx

NEVER REGRET ANYTHING THAT MADE YOU SMILE
Old 07-09-2011, 07:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another1 View Post
If you want to live in the caravan forget about aerials and the like and worry about the contract and the tenure it gives you.

If the park closes, even if it's for a week, then I would bet it's not residential.

You Can Find Us In The Following Places:
Website -- Flickr Album -- FaceBook -- Blog -- Twitter -- YouTube
Old 07-09-2011, 13:43

Simply ask to see a copy of the parks licence. If it is residential it will say so on that and they should be happy to show it to you. We are required to keep a copy of our site licence in our reception so anyone can see it and my money is on them having to do the same thing.

If they are not residential my advice would be to walk away, after all, if they are lying to you before you've even bought a van what are they going to lie about once you have?