Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Buying A Static Caravan

Buying A Static Caravan Advice for those about to purchase a static caravan.

Old 04-08-2009, 16:04

Default Buying a used caravan

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum, and to the idea of buying a static caravan...but having read through some of the topics on here this seems to be an excellent place to get some advice.

Having spent many family holidays in a static caravan owned by a friend, my parents (who are close to retiring) are thinking of buying a caravan. We dropped in to a couple of parks at the weekend to have a look at what was available. Because we hadn't arranged a viewing we were only able to look at new ones which we were very taken with but I think we have now decided that the cost is too high.

My thoughts, having not viewed any caravans, is to 'test the water' by buying a pre-owned static. That way we would not lose too much if it didn't work out and we wanted to sell in a couple of years. Also, it would be for us to go down when we wanted or to let to friends and family so it infact does'nt need to be new or particularly swish. If at the end of the licence if we wanted another one we could upgrade with the money saved from buying pre-owned in the first place.

I've seen a Cosalt Torino 2000 28x10 for 11,000 sited at a park we like and with 6 years left on the licence. Firstly, would this be considered a good price? And secondly, what kind of things would we need to consider in buying a used static - questions to ask and things to look for when viewing. Are there any problems associated with this manufacturer?

And just out of interest, are 3 bedroom ones more difficult to come across? That was the size of the one we used to stay in, but the majority of the ones i've seen looking on the internet have been only 2 bed.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Old 07-08-2009, 09:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by battenburg88 View Post
Hello all,

I'm new to the forum, and to the idea of buying a static caravan...but having read through some of the topics on here this seems to be an excellent place to get some advice.

Having spent many family holidays in a static caravan owned by a friend, my parents (who are close to retiring) are thinking of buying a caravan. We dropped in to a couple of parks at the weekend to have a look at what was available. Because we hadn't arranged a viewing we were only able to look at new ones which we were very taken with but I think we have now decided that the cost is too high.

My thoughts, having not viewed any caravans, is to 'test the water' by buying a pre-owned static. That way we would not lose too much if it didn't work out and we wanted to sell in a couple of years. Also, it would be for us to go down when we wanted or to let to friends and family so it infact does'nt need to be new or particularly swish. If at the end of the licence if we wanted another one we could upgrade with the money saved from buying pre-owned in the first place.

I've seen a Cosalt Torino 2000 28x10 for 11,000 sited at a park we like and with 6 years left on the licence. Firstly, would this be considered a good price? And secondly, what kind of things would we need to consider in buying a used static - questions to ask and things to look for when viewing. Are there any problems associated with this manufacturer?

And just out of interest, are 3 bedroom ones more difficult to come across? That was the size of the one we used to stay in, but the majority of the ones i've seen looking on the internet have been only 2 bed.

Any advice would be much appreciated!
Firstly, the park is the most important thing. You could have the best van in the world but if you are not happy with the park you won't be spending much time in it. Try and stay for a weekend and get a feel for the place. Talk to as many owners as you can, you'll get far more information from them rather than a salesman trying to sell you a caravan.

Lots of parks throw in this years fees but will usually be built in to the price of the van.
11,000 for 6 years sounds reasonable but the Torino you mention is pretty basic (and small) and Cosalt no longer exist, although that isn't really an issue here. I've never had a problem getting 3 bed vans.

You are certainly doing the right thing by testing the water and all in all it's not too bad a deal as long as you get plenty of use out of it.
As discussed in other threads it is essential you get a proper licence agreement from the park owners stating the length of tenure.
Hope that helps!

Last edited by indianwells; 07-08-2009 at 09:14.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:21
Administrator

Hi,

I think that Indianwells has answered your question well (as usual), so I would just like to welcome you to the forum,

Happy posting,

Darren

Follow us on Twitter (Info)
Old 08-08-2009, 18:28

Thanks very much.

I think we got a little bit carried away after seeing the new ones, realising they were too much and then going to the complete other end of the spectrum by looking for the cheapest at the park.

I think we just need to to take a bit more time to wait for the right caravan to come up - probably not brand new but perhaps a little bit bigger, and I assume more expensive, than a 28x10 one.

My Mum's theory is that more will become available towards September or October as people have one last summer before deciding to sell. I don't know is correct, but I will certainly suggest we find out about the licence agreement at the park before going any further towards buying one.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by battenburg88 View Post
Thanks very much.

I think we got a little bit carried away after seeing the new ones, realising they were too much and then going to the complete other end of the spectrum by looking for the cheapest at the park.

I think we just need to to take a bit more time to wait for the right caravan to come up - probably not brand new but perhaps a little bit bigger, and I assume more expensive, than a 28x10 one.

My Mum's theory is that more will become available towards September or October as people have one last summer before deciding to sell. I don't know is correct, but I will certainly suggest we find out about the licence agreement at the park before going any further towards buying one.
Your mums theory is correct, you will have far more choice if you wait until Sept/Oct.
Old 10-08-2009, 18:38

If you find a park you like the look of on the net I then do a search for reviews of it on Google - people that have stayed at the park and don't own the caravan themselves will generally give you a balanced view. Basically do your homework first would be my advice

butlinsmum x
Old 13-08-2009, 15:56

When you find a site you like get the postcode of the site (the actual post code of the site and not the owners office address) and go to the Environment Agency flood map http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/ or in Scotland http://www.sepa.org.uk/flooding/flood_map.aspx and check out the site.

If it floods some insurers may not insure you which means that the ones that do can charge you a higher premium. Also some impose larger excesses or conditions on your insurance.

Having said that some of the most beautiful sites have flooded in recent years and who would give up a Windermere lake side view because of the risk of flooding?

I guess the point is to add this to your information gathering.

Good luck

Phil

Last edited by Caravanwise; 13-08-2009 at 15:58. Reason: So I can't nofollow links then.