Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Owning A Caravan > Technical Issues

Technical Issues A place to ask and/or give advice on technical issues

Old 13-05-2013, 12:15

Unhappy Water Ingress in my caravan

Hi, I'm hoping that I can get some advice as to what is causing my 'wet' problem.
I have a 2009 Pemberton Park Lane which until this season has been our pride and joy. Sadly this season we have an ingress of water into the master bedroom and I'm really struggling to see from where, so any help/suggestions greatly appreciated.
The caravan faces SouthWest and is pretty exposed, the damp area is much worse in high winds and driving rain.
The water appears in the main bedroom at the join between the floor and the wall, commencing at a point below the corner of the window. There is NO damp showing on any of the internal walls. I originally suspected the mastic around the window but I have re-placed the mastic here and there appears little improvement. I have also checked all the external panels and vents and there is no obvious sign of damp. As I wasn't completely happy with the mastic replacement I have just removed and replaced the mastic again, and am hoping for some improvement.
If anyone has any suggestions as to where else I should look I would be very grateful.

Old 13-05-2013, 12:32

Location: Barmouth, Gwynedd - where the mountains meet the sea

Hi Stuart, we usually recommend checking corner capping seals, these can become brittle. There are some posts on here by Parkandleisure, I'll find them for you. There are different types if sealant too, I'll find the right post for that too.
Dont worry, nothing is impossible.

You could also check the guttering too for blockages, or damage.

Be back soon with links for you

aboard

Live life forwards, but learn from it backwards ...

http://s1090.photobucket.com/user/ae...?sort=2&page=1
Old 13-05-2013, 13:01

Location: Barmouth, Gwynedd - where the mountains meet the sea

In this thread, the subject of sealant is mentioned : http://www.gostatic.co.uk/showthread...tylene+sealant

This is Parkandleisure's website, he will help you if you need advice re changing corner capping, and if you use the GS10 code you'll also get 10% off any purchase.

Other members will offer advice too shortly I'm sure

Live life forwards, but learn from it backwards ...

http://s1090.photobucket.com/user/ae...?sort=2&page=1
Old 13-05-2013, 15:57

Thumbs up ThankYou

AngelaB, first can I say a genuine ThankYou for such a prompt and helpful reply..

In truth I did make a fundamental mistake at the end of last season by using a good quality and very expensive Silicone sealant to seal that particular window, due to the existing mastic cracking and splits showing. Over Xmas I did some more investigations and realised my mistake. This was compounded when I found water ingress in our bedroom last month. So I now know that I should have used a Butylene mastic.
This weekend I removed the old Silicone and have used a Butylene IDL99, which I see is recommended by PandL. I'm just hoping that this has solved the problem, but it will be a few days before I can get back to the cvan to check..
(Incidentally IDL99 is claimed to be cream but it's very BROWN and unsightly on our van, I see that IDL110 is white so if my problem is solved then I will spend another day replacing IDL 99 with 110 !)
So that is my embarrassing confession .......!!!!!

Incidentally are the corner capping seals the plastic caps and mouldings around the Inside of the windows and how do you remove them without breaking them.

Thanks again