Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Owning A Caravan

Owning A Caravan Discussion about owning a caravan.

Old 24-11-2009, 21:28

Default free standing furniture

You may see this post under a reply to 'sprung a leak'. Oooops sorry, couldn't find how to start a new thread. Hurray, got it now. I am hoping someone could keep me right regarding freestanding furniture. Today we closed the caravan down for the winter and when I took the cushions off the base setee which is fitted around the end of the living room, it came to me that I could easily get rid of the whole lot, and replace with maybe a small three piece suite. I just absolutely hate those seats. Firstly they are covered with rose pattern material which is so busy it would give you a headache and secondly they are not comfortable. I thought I could do the same with the fitted seating around the dining table. On suggesting this to my other half, he said before you do, (note the you and not we) better find out if this would reduce the resale price. We bought this willerby countryside 8 years old for 11,000 in June this year. Lovely lovely condition, but not the best spot on the site, which makes me think the caravan could have cost more if it was in a nicer position. Anyway, I diverse, the thought of getting rid of this seating is getting me excited. Now I know the caravan doors are quite narrow so I would need to measure very carefully what I would put in as a replacement. Before I do though, would it reduce the resale value. Personally I have no intention of ever selling it, but we are no spring chickens and who knows what the future holds. Hopefully comfortable seating for a start though. Thank you all for reading this saga.

Old 25-11-2009, 08:51

We used this company in March - www.nabru.co.uk
Modular so no probs with the door size and really comfortable.
Best thing we've done with the caravan so far - its 25 yrs old, and although very well cared for by the previous owners, the seat coverings did need replacing/updating.

Mart.
Old 25-11-2009, 11:17

Gosh thankyou, I had no idea this is existed. What a good idea. Thing is, we just had a patio laid at an extorionate cost, so I am hoping to do this on a cheaper budget (maybe your idea sometime in the future). My husband is just getting over the shock of the patio price so there's absolutely no chance of me getting this. It is a marvellous idea though and I will keep it for future use. What I really need to know at the minute is - will me getting rid of the built in furniture have a detrimental effect on the resale price or not. Thankyou very much for taking the time to send me that link, I appreciate your kindness.
Old 29-11-2009, 11:59

changing to free standing , could have a effect on price if you px/upgrade , thru the sales office, as it would be non standard seating , but i could be wrong
Old 29-11-2009, 14:08

Thankyou for replying. Do you mean, it would decrease or increase? Thankyou again.
Old 29-11-2009, 19:23

decrease, but then it depends on how the sales team see it , a nice free standing sofa or worn fixed seating ?
Old 30-11-2009, 22:04

Thankyou for the reply. In view of your advice I'll ask the owners of the site what they think before I take a sledgehammer to it. The covers aren't worn and are in good condition, it just those pink/peach roses all over that I would like to see go. Recovering would be an option, but I thought freestanding furniture would be more comfortable and modern. It may be of course that it could be a private sale, then it wouldn't matter so much. I appreciate your replying. Thanks again.
Old 30-11-2009, 22:05

Thankyou for the reply. In view of your advice I'll ask the owners of the site what they think before I take a sledgehammer to it. The covers aren't worn and are in good condition, it just those pink/peach roses all over that I would like to see go. Recovering would be an option, but I thought freestanding furniture would be more comfortable and modern. It may be of course that it could be a private sale, then it wouldn't matter so much. I appreciate your replying. Thanks again.
Old 30-11-2009, 22:05