Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > The Lounge > General Discussion

General Discussion General non-caravan related discussion

Old 10-12-2014, 15:47

Default Decorating your caravan for Christmas

Does anyone on here, who uses their caravan for Christmas, put up Christmas lights/decorations?

We have always put up a tree inside the caravan at Christmas, but this year, we decided to buy some outside lights and hang them up at the front of the caravan. In previous years, when walking around the park, we have never seen anyone with outside lights. We didn't think the director, who was based at our site would approve, but he has moved on and the manager is more lenient. We put up the lights two weekends ago at the beginning of December and still no-one had lights, yet this weekend during one of our jaunts around the park, half the caravans had lights hanging from the caravans as well as outdoor prelit trees and Christmas wreaths.

We have either started a trend or we all had the same idea because the numpty director has left. LOL!

Old 10-12-2014, 17:27

Although we will be at home for Xmas the site is open. As our van is only 40 mins drive away if we spend a day there before Xmas I will take a little sparkly tree to put on her window. Hubby thinks I'm daft but I like to think that she has a tree for Xmas.
Old 10-12-2014, 17:46
Departed Friend

we won,t be putting up lights at the van even though we will probably go up christmas weekend.
we will be decorating and visiting our daughters grave on christmas day though.
Old 10-12-2014, 19:11

Two-sleeps-to-go and we'll arrive for handover-day with a sprinkling of Christmas decorations among our 'first fill' of inventory items.

(As there is a mini patch of potential garden at the rear of our pitch we might even get a 3 or 4 foot potted Christmas tree for outside then transplant it to that wee garden soon afterwards.)

Regarding external lights: If readily available we might get some solar powered ones for outside but I'd would also like to know if any folk here have added a weather-proof external mains socket to their static?

I'd imagine it might have to be internally RCB protected and also capable of being switched off from the inside. Besides providing an outlet for seasonal lights such a socket would have plenty of potential for powering various other external electrical items.

Any advice welcome, please!
Old 10-12-2014, 19:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick1950 View Post
we won,t be putting up lights at the van even though we will probably go up christmas weekend.
we will be decorating and visiting our daughters grave on christmas day though.
I'm so sorry to hear you have lost your daughter. Christmas time must be a difficult time for you.
Old 10-12-2014, 19:52

We do not have an external socket, but our windows have a part open locking feature on them, so we have fed the cable for the lights through a window. The cable is fine enough not to be damaged by the window which, when partly open by a few millimeters, is then locked for security. We have also stuffed some material in the gap to keep out the cold, although it does no harm to have a bit of ventilation.
Old 11-12-2014, 17:53

We have 1 medium and 1 small fibre optic tree, lights in the patio window, various snowmen that light up various colours and 2 candle lights in our caravan and have just bought some battery operated outside coloured lights that we have along our decking outside that flash. I'm sure we can be seen for miles lol
Old 11-12-2014, 18:00

There's nothing wrong with making your presence felt. I also have some battery operated lights which will be adorning the two shrubs in front of the caravan as from the coming weekend.
Old 11-12-2014, 20:15

Mick, sending you a big hug and thinking of you
Old 15-12-2014, 20:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traction View Post
Mick, sending you a big hug and thinking of you
Us too, Mick...whilst so much excitement and happy preparation surrounds this season it's always particularly sad for those of us with loved ones missed or absent at this time.

Decorations? - In the end we took along a few decorations and tinsel but too wet/windy/busy to string up the external solar led lights for now.

One of our grandaughters straightaway noticed the absence of a star atop the mini-tree so her home made version now fits perfectly.

Very few neighbours in occupation around our particular patch but there is the odd well-lit Christmassy lighthouse on this vast site.