Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > The Lounge > General Discussion

General Discussion General non-caravan related discussion

Old 31-10-2017, 19:21

Default Heating thermostat

Could anyone tell me if they have installed a wall thermostat to their central heating??? If so how would I go about it ??? Thanks

Old 31-10-2017, 19:36

maybe better to with a wireless thermostat
Old 31-10-2017, 20:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by treetopper View Post
maybe better to with a wireless thermostat
Could you recommend any particular type ??
Old 01-11-2017, 08:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddyjak View Post
Could anyone tell me if they have installed a wall thermostat to their central heating??? If so how would I go about it ??? Thanks
i am considering a wireless thermostat, but when the gas man fitted our boiler at home the thermostat had to be positioned in a specific place like .....
not in the sunlight, not near a door, not near a radiator, in the main living area, not in the kitchen, thinking about my van seems like there will be nowhere to mount the actual thermostat. but i think maybe on the side of the coffee table facing into the room, at the moment i am just running boiler until the van is warm by then the sun has come out and we switch it off and stays warm for an hour by then we are usually up and going out, in the evenings we cook, then when temperature drops we turn heating on shower and bed so heating running for say 3 hours a day, if we were to stay in the van all day i am sure a thermostat would work better as its a case of tweaking the settings until comfortable all day so may get one next year for the spring, i have seen that other posts have mentioned a computherm QF7 wireless stat which are 42 on amazon at the moment, it has better reviews than the souls stat which is 10 cheaper IMO i think i will get one of them, if you put computherm in the search window on this site you will see if your boiler is mentioned in the posts re fitting one, i have a morco 24 and it is suitable,
hope this helps, the posts i have read have helped me on this to no end thanks
Old 01-11-2017, 09:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionblue22 View Post
i am considering a wireless thermostat, but when the gas man fitted our boiler at home the thermostat had to be positioned in a specific place like .....
not in the sunlight, not near a door, not near a radiator, in the main living area, not in the kitchen, thinking about my van seems like there will be nowhere to mount the actual thermostat. but i think maybe on the side of the coffee table facing into the room, at the moment i am just running boiler until the van is warm by then the sun has come out and we switch it off and stays warm for an hour by then we are usually up and going out, in the evenings we cook, then when temperature drops we turn heating on shower and bed so heating running for say 3 hours a day, if we were to stay in the van all day i am sure a thermostat would work better as its a case of tweaking the settings until comfortable all day so may get one next year for the spring, i have seen that other posts have mentioned a computherm QF7 wireless stat which are 42 on amazon at the moment, it has better reviews than the souls stat which is 10 cheaper IMO i think i will get one of them, if you put computherm in the search window on this site you will see if your boiler is mentioned in the posts re fitting one, i have a morco 24 and it is suitable,
hope this helps, the posts i have read have helped me on this to no end thanks
We have a wireless thermostat and it can sit on any surface as it has a stand incorporated into the casing. You can move them to any room as they are just a small portable independent unit. They are easy to fit although I didn't do it myself. The gas safe engineer did it for me as part of the work he did for the park. The model is CENTER which is made by Honeywell and does the same job but is a lot cheaper to buy. It's a really good piece of kit, doesn't need a WI-FI connection and the controller runs on batteries. There is a receiver that connects to the boiler.

Last edited by Mosquito; 01-11-2017 at 09:37.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosquito View Post
We have a wireless thermostat and it can sit on any surface as it has a stand incorporated into the casing. You can move them to any room as they are just a small portable independent unit. They are easy to fit although I didn't do it myself. The gas safe engineer did it for me as part of the work he did for the park. The model is CENTER which is made by Honeywell and does the same job but is a lot cheaper to buy. It's a really good piece of kit, doesn't need a WI-FI connection and the controller runs on batteries. There is a receiver that connects to the boiler.
hi, so if i take the thermostat into the bedroom at night, and set say at 17, then the bedroom will be heated to 17 and the rest of the van will be warmed up a bit, as the bedroom is smaller than the living area it will warm up quicker, so i would need to shut the door i am assuming, what about the rad thermo valves what should i do with them ? set a little warmer than i have set at the moment ?
is the stat you have suggested a seven day programable type as we only get to use our van at weekends ( she will retire one day ) but we arrive on a friday at 6.15 and leave on a sunday at 8pm ish
i would like to set weekends to be on say at 5pm friday till 8pm sunday but in the week leave at 7 degrees all the time especially in march and april, we are shutting early this year as expecting a new grandchild on the 21st nv so only 2 weekends left for us
thanks mark
Old 01-11-2017, 15:09

We have a Computherm, 7 day wireless thermostat and find it does everyting we need. Bear in mind even though the 'sender' is wireless the receiver still has to be wired into your boiler. I believe a lots of people do this themselves, but we had a plumber to do it for us.

As to your question Missionblue22, if you take the wireless sender into the bedroom and set it to 17 degrees for the night it will keep the room to that temperature. I would keep the bedroom door closed, or you maybe 'leaking' the heat out. Also the instructions recomend that in the room where the stat is positioned you should turn the radiator valve to full, so that the radiator doesn't turn itself off before the room temperature is reached. The Computherm can be set for 6 different time periods for each day of the week, so yes you could set Monday to Friday at a lower temperature and the weekends for whatever temperatures you want. As we don't go to our van on set days all we do is when we leave is override the thermostat and lock it to 7 degrees and when we arrive just switch the override off and back on to the set program. Bear in mind you need to leave your gas and electricity on for this to work.

http://s1167.photobucket.com/user/He...deshow/?sort=4
Old 01-11-2017, 17:30

thanks for this, so basically thermostats on rads up and experiment with temperature setting on the new wireless stat, and position of it which is the main thing giving me concern, but that i think will need experimentation, sure will be nice not to have to get up to flip the heating on, and wait for those tender words " while you are up put the kettle on " and "let the dogs out" at least i won't be cold... thanks for the info
Old 01-11-2017, 19:26

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Salus-RT500...=wireless+stat

This is what we had fitted saved us money already, last year we had the central heating and electric fire on for hours at a time not realising the electric fire alone comfortably heats our large lounge kitchen area to 20 plus degrees must have been burning gas for hours when not needed last year like you say easy enough to carry the sender around with you,
Old 01-11-2017, 20:01

Some good advice here , thanks all