Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Owning A Caravan > Technical Issues

Technical Issues A place to ask and/or give advice on technical issues

Old 22-07-2015, 15:36

Default Plea from an inept DIYer - Fitting Security light onto van

Hallo I bought a small, light, solar LED security light. I am hoping to place the solar cell onto the guttering/downpipe, roof level anyway.
For the lights unit, I have a choice, either onto the bodywork of the van or the gutter itself, not keen on drilling holes into either. I have some strong velcro for external jobs, that might be an option unless any here has any bright ideas? Thanks!

Old 22-07-2015, 16:15

What about no more nails for outside? We have used it to glue an outside light to the stairs of the decking, worked wonders.
Old 22-07-2015, 19:28

I too have major misgivings about drilling holes in the van. Im not wild about the gas changeover being bolted to the van - thats two holes it didnt come out of the factory with and two holes water can potentially get in...
Another +1 for No Nails but make sure that it is secured in place whilst it goes off and that both surfaces are scrupilously clean before applying.
Old 23-07-2015, 11:51

Screwing into the van will be fine, for extra peace of mind add some silicon sealant into the hole prior to screwing. I wouldn't attach anything to the gutter area just the body of the van.

Check out the social group clubs on my page:http://www.gostatic.co.uk/member.php?u=17474
BERT the Gostatic mascot-RIP 2012. Fare well faithful defender of our static
Old 23-07-2015, 12:49

No More Nails is excellent if you never intend to remove the item. I fitted an external cellular telephone antenna to my van as the phone reception was terrible. When I upgraded, I tried to remove the antenna but it proved impossible without causing major damage to the caravan. I would try the external quality Velcro you have already got first. If it works, thats the problem solved. If not, at least you can try something else. Solar lamps are not very heavy so you may be fine with what you have. I use the 3M product myself & it sticks very well but can be removed without causing any damage should you change your mind & need to remove it. No More Nails is perfect if you are sure you NEVER want to remove the item.
Old 23-07-2015, 13:02

Smile There we are, I just 'knew' you'd know.

Thanks so much, that's given me some options. I've learned loads about being a static owner since I became a member, grateful for that too!
Old 23-07-2015, 13:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRRob View Post
No More Nails is excellent if you never intend to remove the item. I fitted an external cellular telephone antenna to my van as the phone reception was terrible. When I upgraded, I tried to remove the antenna but it proved impossible without causing major damage to the caravan. I would try the external quality Velcro you have already got first. If it works, thats the problem solved. If not, at least you can try something else. Solar lamps are not very heavy so you may be fine with what you have. I use the 3M product myself & it sticks very well but can be removed without causing any damage should you change your mind & need to remove it. No More Nails is perfect if you are sure you NEVER want to remove the item.
You might have solved another of my difficulties here, appalling phone reception,thank you! Off to research for an antenna...
Old 23-07-2015, 17:26

Try something like this. They are more powerful than your mobile & have a more efficient antenna. I went from 1 bar intermittent signal to 4 bars constant.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wireless-G...item25a9938b7c
Old 23-08-2015, 21:35

Thanks for the link, I'll follow it up!