Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

 

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Before Owning A Caravan

Before Owning A Caravan Discussion and advice on all aspects involved in deciding if a static caravan is right for you.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #21  
Old 06-06-2018, 12:07
treetopper treetopper is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Treetops
Posts: 5,823
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazeyBlue View Post
We are on a no age limit site. Its a small independent site, but we all have 20 year leases. You get 12 month leases thereafter so long as your van is kept nice and tidy.
We have a 20 year licence agreement but the lodges have 50....our runs out on 2032....I feel that the no time limit without a 20 year licence is definitely a gamble that some think is worth taking,depending on trusting site owners.
Reply With Quote

  #22  
Old 06-06-2018, 12:24
Bluebells Bluebells is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Lake District
Posts: 196
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazeyBlue View Post
We are on a no age limit site. Its a small independent site, but we all have 20 year leases. You get 12 month leases thereafter so long as your van is kept nice and tidy.
That's a great site find HazeyBlue. Its a pity more sites don't do that. It must be more settled for everybody concerned - site owners and caravan owners alike. Are the site fees reasonable for the area too? Most site owners need to bring in more cash from somewhere for site & pitch improvements as well as normal maintenance so want/need lump sums. Much of that comes from van sales - either the site selling vans directly, or the commission paid to site owner on private sales. If vans are turning over less frequently those lump sums aren't going to be forthcoming as often.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 12-06-2018, 15:25
workingclassgenius workingclassgenius is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 1
Default

Hi all,

Newbie here. I joined because a relative of mine is currently looking to sell their house and go static. However, the site fees seem crippling (2,000 per year upwards). I hear about "low site fees" and even "no site fees", but I'm struggling to find anything. My relative also wants somewhere that they can stay for 12 months of the year, although it isn't a dealbreaker. Can anyone direct me towards any good, reputable sites that may not involve high site fees? They are willing to relocate from Lancashire to basically anywhere in the UK, so location isn't a dealbreaker, either.

They would prefer not to be around "younger people", shall we say? One of the main reasons they are disillusioned with living in a terraced house is the amount of noise and partying from neighbours. Apologies in advance if it seems I'm making zero sense here; I'm just going off the info they've given me and I'm completely new to any of this. The relative, however, has owned a static home before, but was priced out of the site their home was on quite a few years ago.

Any advice is welcome. Thank you.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 12-06-2018, 19:06
slattster slattster is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 358
Default

Hello , probably best to start your own thread with this one. You won’t get free site fees ..you may get the first year free when you buy the van , £2,000 is at the low end of site fees. Make sure they end up on a residential site and not a holiday site otherwise they are setting themselves up to be homeless. Good luck
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 17-06-2018, 14:24
fhb fhb is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Essex
Posts: 211
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclassgenius View Post
Hi all,

Newbie here. I joined because a relative of mine is currently looking to sell their house and go static. However, the site fees seem crippling (2,000 per year upwards). I hear about "low site fees" and even "no site fees", but I'm struggling to find anything. My relative also wants somewhere that they can stay for 12 months of the year, although it isn't a dealbreaker. Can anyone direct me towards any good, reputable sites that may not involve high site fees? They are willing to relocate from Lancashire to basically anywhere in the UK, so location isn't a dealbreaker, either.

They would prefer not to be around "younger people", shall we say? One of the main reasons they are disillusioned with living in a terraced house is the amount of noise and partying from neighbours. Apologies in advance if it seems I'm making zero sense here; I'm just going off the info they've given me and I'm completely new to any of this. The relative, however, has owned a static home before, but was priced out of the site their home was on quite a few years ago.

Any advice is welcome. Thank you.
First, your relative needs to do some research about the difference between holiday and residential. There is a section on this forum about residential park homes, and there is another forum linked to the website parkhome-living.co.uk which is solely about residential homes. If they intend to buy on a holiday site, they need to make sure they have a failsafe back-up plan for the very strong possibility of being kicked off for mis-use of a holiday home (it is happening quite a lot lately).
Most - not all but most - residential sites are age restricted, nowadays it seems to be a minimum 45-50 to live in a Park home.
The site fees are usually cheaper towards the Midlands and North, usually paid monthly in advance, and they WILL increase each year by RPI (the increase is strictly controlled by legislation, and can only happen once a year).
I have never heard of a residential Park offering the first year free of site fees.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 17-06-2018, 16:07
Mosquito Mosquito is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Fold House Park, Pilling , Lancashire.
Posts: 1,386
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhb View Post
First, your relative needs to do some research about the difference between holiday and residential. There is a section on this forum about residential park homes, and there is another forum linked to the website parkhome-living.co.uk which is solely about residential homes. If they intend to buy on a holiday site, they need to make sure they have a failsafe back-up plan for the very strong possibility of being kicked off for mis-use of a holiday home (it is happening quite a lot lately).
Most - not all but most - residential sites are age restricted, nowadays it seems to be a minimum 45-50 to live in a Park home.
The site fees are usually cheaper towards the Midlands and North, usually paid monthly in advance, and they WILL increase each year by RPI (the increase is strictly controlled by legislation, and can only happen once a year).
I have never heard of a residential Park offering the first year free of site fees.
One other point to remember regarding some park home sites (Not all), some do not allow children or grandchildren to stay on the park which can be restrictive for some owners.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 17-06-2018, 18:50
fhb fhb is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Essex
Posts: 211
Default

Mosquito wrote:
"One other point to remember regarding some park home sites (Not all), some do not allow children or grandchildren to stay on the park which can be restrictive for some owners."
I believe the 2013 review made this rule illegal. Visitors cannot be restricted by age, and I believe that the length of visit cannot be restricted.
Children/grandchildren can visit and stay for quite lengthy periods, as long as they are not actually living there. The stipulation is "bona-fide visitors" (so subletting, holiday lets or lodgers are legally banned).
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 18-06-2018, 07:56
Mosquito Mosquito is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Fold House Park, Pilling , Lancashire.
Posts: 1,386
Default

fhb, you will, of course, know the rules as you live on a residential park. When I was looking for a suitable park to buy on, I trolled through dozens of parks in my chosen area. Some holiday parks and some residential. What I found in 2015/6 was that park owners were still advertising the rule that children could visit the park but could not stay overnight. They also advertised age limits, which I understand a lot of residential parks do. This tied in very neatly with the fact that they didn't want children running around and making a noise as children tend to do.

I apologize for placing wrong information on the forum but that was the situation when I was looking in 2015/6, well after the law was changed.

Last edited by Mosquito; 18-06-2018 at 07:59.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 18-06-2018, 10:53
fhb fhb is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Essex
Posts: 211
Default

There is absolutely no need for any apology - especially as you are very correct in that some residential parks are still saying that children cannot stay overnight, it is apparent that many residential park operators are not themselves up to date with legislation.
Happily, while our Park usually has a large assortment of neighbours whose children/grandchildren/great-grandchildren are staying, noise is not a problem, as the gardens are too small for any except the very littlest to run around in - so they all go to the nearby beach.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 19-06-2018, 07:28
Mosquito Mosquito is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Fold House Park, Pilling , Lancashire.
Posts: 1,386
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhb View Post
There is absolutely no need for any apology - especially as you are very correct in that some residential parks are still saying that children cannot stay overnight, it is apparent that many residential park operators are not themselves up to date with legislation.
Happily, while our Park usually has a large assortment of neighbours whose children/grandchildren/great-grandchildren are staying, noise is not a problem, as the gardens are too small for any except the very littlest to run around in - so they all go to the nearby beach.
And what would life be without children and grandchildren? They light up my life.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

West Coast Windows


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hope it's 12 month site treetopper General Discussion 6 14-07-2015 17:42
12 month park jbjb Static Caravan Wanted 7 30-12-2014 13:50
More 12 month site licences treetopper Before Owning A Caravan 73 12-05-2014 20:10
12 month yorkshire site treetopper News 10 23-07-2013 20:11
12 month sites treetopper Before Owning A Caravan 40 10-04-2013 21:11


All times are GMT. The time now is 15:26.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.