Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Owning A Caravan

Owning A Caravan Discussion about owning a caravan.

Old 08-05-2018, 15:17

Default Requesting a utility bill

Is this a new thing or down to ind sites to ask the question, we are primary a 11 month site closed from 31st Jan to 1st feb we have been requested by the site owners to produce a recent copy of a utility bill or council tax reminder to keep on record, obviously to prove we have a residentual address and not living here permenatly, as i have said in the past there are at least six residents flouting this i wonder if someone has raised a concern ?

Old 08-05-2018, 15:25

Probably individual sites, as some councils are more pro-active then others about fining sites for breaches of their site licence.
Allowing people to live on a holiday site is a definite breach.. maybe someone has reported the site to the council.
Old 08-05-2018, 22:48
Supporting Member

From what I had seen across various groups on the internet, it appears councils around the country are enforcing their licence restrictions more. One of which is to require holiday parks to keep an annual register of van owners details including the proof of home address. The site I’m has always done this by the book and it seems perfectly reasonable to us as it is an HOLIDAY park not a residential one when all said and done.
Old 09-05-2018, 07:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by water hog View Post
Is this a new thing or down to ind sites to ask the question, we are primary a 11 month site closed from 31st Jan to 1st feb we have been requested by the site owners to produce a recent copy of a utility bill or council tax reminder to keep on record, obviously to prove we have a residentual address and not living here permenatly, as i have said in the past there are at least six residents flouting this i wonder if someone has raised a concern ?
1st MARCH? Perhaps?
Old 09-05-2018, 11:18
Administrator

It will be something that becomes the norm over the next year or so as more and more parks get longer and longer seasons.

Unfortunately, a lot of people either are mis-sold or misunderstand that because the park is open for 11moth etc, you cannot stay on it for that long.

Follow us on Twitter (Info)
Old 09-05-2018, 21:20
Supporting Member

As far as I am aware, all well run holiday parks require proof of residence via a council tax bill from the outset when they sell you a holiday home.
Why would it be a problem for a new buyer to provide that information ?
Old 09-05-2018, 21:39

We have never asked any owners for utility bills. Reason is they are all used only occasionally as holiday homes without exception so no need to ask. If anyone tried to stay all of the season it would stand out like a sore thumb.
Old 09-05-2018, 23:46

Bigland's site isn't big and only has 1 entrance so the comings and goings of van/lodge owners can easily be observed. The problems seem to be caused by folk living on the huge sites where they can't easily be observed - particularly the holiday parks that are open all year. On some parks folk have to declare which weeks their van WON'T be occupied but the requirement can be as little as 2weeks. The managements are tightening up on things to make it more difficult to live there. They do ask for a variety of utility bills etc. and no longer allow incoming personal mail but there are still folk who find a way round it.

One problem of genuinely being away from our permanent homes for longer holidays is that some insurance companies are now limiting their cover. Some only cover max 30 consecutive days at a time. Some a total of 60days in 1 year etc. Worth checking your insurance policy as they do vary.
Old 10-05-2018, 16:33

Speaking with a little knowledge on the subject:-
With reduced funding from Government all Councils are now looking to maximise their income, so they will be looking to charge Council Tax wherever possible (and correct). A lot of seaside councils know that people on Housing Benefit (or UC as it is becoming) live in their area on "holiday" sites and are now actively pursuing them for Council Tax. Add this to the Site Owners terms, conditions and obligations and I think you'll find this will become a more regular request. Certainly around the East Coast it is a common practise. (Sorry I've just re-read my post and it seems a bit "councilly", but you get my gist)
Old 10-05-2018, 18:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithJ View Post
Speaking with a little knowledge on the subject:-
With reduced funding from Government all Councils are now looking to maximise their income, so they will be looking to charge Council Tax wherever possible (and correct). A lot of seaside councils know that people on Housing Benefit (or UC as it is becoming) live in their area on "holiday" sites and are now actively pursuing them for Council Tax. Add this to the Site Owners terms, conditions and obligations and I think you'll find this will become a more regular request. Certainly around the East Coast it is a common practise. (Sorry I've just re-read my post and it seems a bit "councilly", but you get my gist)
Which is where people sometimes come unstuck; they assume that because the council is charging council tax they are on a residential site.
Then the site changes hands, the new owners want to develop so start looking for contracts they can terminate to make space - and anyone using a holiday site to live in is almost certainly in breach of contract, so are first in line for eviction.