Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Before Owning A Caravan

Before Owning A Caravan Discussion and advice on all aspects involved in deciding if a static caravan is right for you.

Old 21-05-2018, 10:38

Default Newbie- help 12 month lease contract

Hi everyone
This site is so amazing. I just wondered what people’s thoughts are on this before I sign and buy my new home next week . The site in East Yorkshire is only offering a 12 month lease / agreement contract whatever we call it . I have seen that most of you get 15/20 years normally . Is a yearly one very unusual . They say there is no age limit on the park and the van I am looking at it is new but really worried now every year we could be asked to leave ( I know in theory this could happen anyway) . Could I please ask for you comments / pro and cons of this 12 month only agreement please before I part with my hard earned cash !
Thanking you all in advance

Old 21-05-2018, 11:56

Others will more experience of holiday contracts and lease terms will be along soon, but I am really worried where you say your "new home".
Please re-assure me that it is to be used for holidays, not as a residential home.
If you are planning to live in it as a home - DON'T DO IT! before you have read the numerous warnings on this site and the parkhome-living.co.uk site about the genuine, increasing and very real risks of living in a holiday home.
Old 21-05-2018, 12:07

Hi sorry for confusion it’s a holiday home won’t be living in it thanks for pointing that out though .
Old 21-05-2018, 13:33

Whew - that's a relief, thank you.
Have you asked the Park why they are only offering a 12 month lease?
I know little about holiday contracts, but is it a case that the lease itself is longer, meaning that you can keep the van on the park, but there is a separate contract for things such as the pitch fee and what is included in the pitch fee, renewable each year?
If the actual lease itself is for only 12 months, then that would make me nervous.
I know little about holiday statics, but I would want the actual lease to include the van on a particular pitch to be allowed to remain for a lot longer than 12 months.
Is your Park undergoing a lot of development? If so, could be that in 12 months time your selected pitch could be used for someone or something else.
Better wait for those who know a lot more about this type o thing to come along.
Old 21-05-2018, 13:51

Default Lease

We are on a brand new section of the park along with a few others and lots of pitches still for sale. But yes its only a 12 month renewable licence making me very nervous of the deal now!
Old 21-05-2018, 18:56

A 12-month lease is a new one on me. What I would advise is that you talk to as many private owners on the park as possible and ask them how the park is run and if any van owners are asked to leave the park and if so for what reasons.

It may not be a problem but hopefully, you will get good advise from Static owners on the park.

Good luck.

Last edited by Mosquito; 23-05-2018 at 11:03.
Old 21-05-2018, 21:12

As above a 12 month lease i think if thats the case i would be wary, if you are willing to commit to buying a new static why are they only giving you a twelve month lease you could be seriously out of pocket if you forked out on new decking then were asked to leave are you sure its not a twelve month season ?
Old 21-05-2018, 22:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahharahouse View Post
We are on a brand new section of the park along with a few others and lots of pitches still for sale. But yes its only a 12 month renewable licence making me very nervous of the deal now!
Anyone on a no limit site has only a 12 month renewable licence...so the site could choose not to renew and you would not have a leg to stand on...
Old 22-05-2018, 08:13

Hi
I have spoken with a few people on the site and everyone is the same. The reason the park give is there isnt a age limit on the park as long as your van is looking nice and kept well then they dont ask you to leave. Still doesnt make sense but it seems to be how this smaller company run. But yes makes me unsure but everyone on the site seems to be happy ?
Old 22-05-2018, 08:51

Does/will your contract specify that there is no age limit?
I can see another side to this - if it is a small independent owner who takes a hand-on approach and takes pride in a friendly site, this could be the site owner's way of making sure that anyone who causes friction/problems on site can be easily removed.
How long have the other owners been there? Have several of them been there years, or is everybody mainly new? As Mosquito said, other owners can paint a truer picture for you, but if everybody is also new there will not be much of a picture to paint.
In the end it is your money and your nerves, so you are the only one who will be able to decide whether or not it is a risk worth taking - talk to everybody on the site that you can.