Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Owning A Caravan

Owning A Caravan Discussion about owning a caravan.

Old 04-12-2019, 19:59

Default Sky Q in static?

I currently have a Sky HD box permanently residing in my static as I watch a lot of sports. Sky are offering me a great deal on Sky Q but I can't seem to find a definitive yes or no as to whether I could get this to work in my van.

I think it's a case of having a Sky Q LNB attached to the dish and then having to take the main sky Q box with me each time I visit the van.

Has anyone else managed to do it successfully and can shed any light on what I would need to do?

Thank you.

Old 04-12-2019, 21:32

I donít have sky but my understanding from conversations in the past is that you canít move the Sky Q box about , that doesnít help much as itís not a definitive answer but what I have heard you can do is run skygo on a laptop and attach it to your tv with a Hdmi lead and watch it that way
Old 04-12-2019, 22:16

Thanks. The Sky Go option won't work as I would have to have an internet connection to stream to the iPad in the first place.

Anyone else offer advice?

Thank you.
Old 06-12-2019, 05:50

I think Q will work if you do what you do. I don't know if a problem of moving the box. I thought about this myself as I have multi room at the lodge and the main box at home but thoughy, What am I gaining? There is only the two of us, we don't watch different tv, and I don't need to move the box back and forwards. I was concert that they were gazing the fish and boxes out, but a Sky engineer said they can't as Q is not possible in some places, multi occupancy etc.
Old 06-12-2019, 18:41
Supporting Member

Hi, I can’t remember where I have seen this debate before, maybe on gostatic, but I remember the outcome being that most wished they had not changed as they were not happy and there was no going back to there sky hd.cannot remember the reasons they were unhappy with the sky q
littlefb
Old 20-12-2019, 21:24

My understanding is that Sky Q needs to have an internet connection to activate and operate. There are articles on this subject on the Sky help forum.
Old 21-12-2019, 14:07

sky q needs a permanent internet connection.sky hd will work even if not connected to nternet.if you disconnect internet from sky q it does not works as it knows intrnet is not connected
Old 26-12-2019, 21:20

When I had Sky Q fitted at home the engineer told me it wouldn't work at the van as you would need a different dish and the sky+ box wouldn't work with that dish.
I have my internet with Sky and recently had an issue and was without internet for 5 days but my Sky Q was still working for programmes and recordings, however the Sky Q apps part didn't work as there was no internet.
So, in my experience you can use sky q for tv without internet if you have the correct dish, but the apps wouldn't work
Old 11-01-2020, 16:05

With no land line , We have SkyQ in our static and internet called Homefi by 3 , ( which we can take with us when travelling "home" ) all work very well .