Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Buying A Static Caravan

Buying A Static Caravan Advice for those about to purchase a static caravan.

Old 24-05-2012, 16:17
Banned

Default Advice required please.

Well I finaly got her who must be obeyd to go looking at vans today she had been on a downer after the last time we were out looking and couldnt find anything.Well today we looked at a site which is only an hour and a quarter frome our house.We found a van an Atlas Concept 2006 39x13 it had been altered as the previous owner had taken out the folding bed in the lounge and replaced it with a 3 peice suite thus in fact reducing it from a 6 berth to a 4 berth it has wrap around plastic decking and is sited right on the shore front of the loch.It is in very nice condition both inside and out the site has fishing and boating and a restuarant and a mini market on site and is open from the end of March until the end of October ( is this a bit to short? ) the views from the van are superb ( but as you know I was thinking of the Lake District as there is much more going on) site fees currently are 2,050 and that includes rates and electricity.The site has 250 static vans approx and has 14 vacant piches but only two on the front row on the waters edge one a brand new one which was out of our price range and the 2006 Atlas which is right at the top end of our budget the site is owned by a large caravan dealer Perthshire caravans the asking price is 30,000 plus a percentage of this years site fees now I have read on this great site that you should haggle so after rambling on what do you folks think a sensible offer would be?

Old 24-05-2012, 16:51

Only a 7 month season making site fees nearly 300 per month.The caravan looks nice and has lovely views,however all along you have been adamant it had to be in the Lakes.If it were me I would be offering around 26000 and probably pay upto 27500.
How long can you keep it on site?
Old 24-05-2012, 16:53
Retired Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuggiegreen View Post
Well I finaly got her who must be obeyd to go looking at vans today she had been on a downer after the last time we were out looking and couldnt find anything.Well today we looked at a site which is only an hour and a quarter frome our house.We found a van an Atlas Concept 2006 39x13 it had been altered as the previous owner had taken out the folding bed in the lounge and replaced it with a 3 peice suite thus in fact reducing it from a 6 berth to a 4 berth it has wrap around plastic decking and is sited right on the shore front of the loch.It is in very nice condition both inside and out the site has fishing and boating and a restuarant and a mini market on site and is open from the end of March until the end of October ( is this a bit to short? ) the views from the van are superb ( but as you know I was thinking of the Lake District as there is much more going on) site fees currently are 2,050 and that includes rates and electricity.The site has 250 static vans approx and has 14 vacant piches but only two on the front row on the waters edge one a brand new one which was out of our price range and the 2006 Atlas which is right at the top end of our budget the site is owned by a large caravan dealer Perthshire caravans the asking price is 30,000 plus a percentage of this years site fees now I have read on this great site that you should haggle so after rambling on what do you folks think a sensible offer would be?
shuggie ! have you found one you really like ? well i am so pleased for you , i dont know about haggling as like i say our site had waiting list so if i didnt pay the price which was reasonable anyway , someone else would have ,

are you ok with the price then ? the site fees seem reasonable to me especially if you have lovely views too , it does seem a lot for a 6 year old van doesnt it ?, are you allowed stay on with no age restriction too ?

is your wife happy with this site then ? how far is site from the lakes now ?
there is a lot going in the towns in the lakes , grasmere village ambleside , wordsworth cotage , fell walkers , shops , lakes but it does get very busy peak season , i hope you can strike a deal shuggie as it sounds lovely , pleased for you , ,
Old 24-05-2012, 16:56

if you are a cash buyer then go in at around 26,250 telling them you are paying cash,it might sound a little low but you can always go up.see what polite reply you get lol and then work from there by asking what they would except. if you tell them it's at the top of your budget for buying a van AND kitting it out you should be able to save a few quid. don't forget to ask all the usual questions BEFORE parting with any cash. good luck with it and hope you catch them in a good mood. (try and go when the sun is shining lol)
Old 24-05-2012, 17:06

Send a message via MSN to Bobsnobs Send a message via Skype™ to Bobsnobs

Dont forget you can also use the arguement that it is a 4 berth and not a 6 like intended. If you do decide to go for it you can always have one of those blow up beds in the lounge for the extra guests if needs arise.
Old 24-05-2012, 17:09
Retired Member

yes suppose paying cash you should get a bit of a discount , , shuggie did want lakes but sounds like hes done most of the possibilities now , fees are too high there , so he would have to be outside a bit or wait until end season see if new ones come up , , not ideal , our site fees are a little more than that for 7 and half months season too , sounds ok to me ,
Old 24-05-2012, 17:09
Banned

Folks the van has 12 yrs left on the site but yes I have allways said it was the Lake District for us however,price wise it would be difficult to get a van on the shores of a Lake.It is one of the decisions we have to talk long and hard about to ensure we are both happy if indeed we buy in Scotland.
Old 24-05-2012, 17:13

is there not a site thats just a short drive to the lakes that you could look at. not something i've been to so don't know the area etc but if there is you might find something in your price range.
Old 24-05-2012, 17:16
Retired Member

i just googled it and found one for sale 2006 model 39x12 , 33,000 so i suppose its probably a top pf the range model is it ? it looks like a park home so i guess it must be worth a lot , it said reduced from 40000 so i dont know ? hate shuggie to miss out again as it looks very nice , but as my dad used to say you can go up with offer not down start low work up i suppose but you have decking and sited , so i suppose its not a bad deal ,

Last edited by Retired Member 4; 24-05-2012 at 17:19.
Old 24-05-2012, 17:17

Too expensive for the van even with the decking. Just looked at the van pics, nice but not worth 30k IMO. I would be looking at 25k tops for the amount of time left on the van and the short site owning time. Don't forget that the van has aslo been faffed with regarding the seating-that wll devalue it somewhat.

Si

Check out the social group clubs on my page:http://www.gostatic.co.uk/member.php?u=17474
BERT the Gostatic mascot-RIP 2012. Fare well faithful defender of our static