Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Buying A Static Caravan

Buying A Static Caravan Advice for those about to purchase a static caravan.

Old 14-08-2011, 14:07

Default Atlas Super Mirage, 2002 - 3 bedrooms

Needing some advice please. Found this caravan on the south coast, a very nice sight on a great pitch. It is being offered to us for 27k which includes new skirting and carpets, shed, two new gas bottles and free rent and insurance for first three months. I have been told that this van, at trade is worth between 6k and 4k (can someone confirm that?). The van is in great shape for the age and the owners Of the site do not put an age limit on the vans on the site as long as they are looked after. We are going into this with eyes wide open, knowing that we will not be making money, however does this seem like slot of money for this van? I appreciate it hard to knwo without seeing it but the mark up does seem a little extreme.........they have asked asked to make an offer, but how long should I try without taking the preverbal??

Any suggestions and comments very welcome.

Cheers

Old 14-08-2011, 14:50

Hello cant be much help with regards the price of the van etc, however in my opinion, from what you have said the site and pitch all seem to suit you, so it is just cost issues, i think personally that 27K is too much for a van of this age...though i do appreciate the site and pitch do come at a premium too.

If you reallly like it, i would look at what vans that are similar are going for in your area, sited etc, and go in with a similar offer.

My guess would be 15k, if they turn you down at least you have given it a go, and you can reconsider what you are prepared to pay for something you like.

I am sure others will be along with more knowledge on prices and values.
Old 14-08-2011, 15:05
Supporting Member

I would say the trade price means nothing when you are buying a sited van because you're investing in a lot more than a van.
All sites put a premium on vans, some a lot more than others, depending on the facilities, area, how well maintained the site is, and whether they allow sub-letting or not.
That van will have many different values in different parts of the country so I think it's up to you to decide the maximum you want to pay for it. Is there a price you would be willing to walk away at? You know already the van wont cost 27k because they've asked for offers, so think of a price that would make you more eager to buy, or negotiate more ground rent and insurance in the package.
Good luck, you'll know if it's right for you if you've done all your homework.
ML.
Old 14-08-2011, 15:08

The top book price for that van is 6,850. The trade price (bottom book) is 3,600. It retailed new at 14,408.

In short, they are taking the piss. Only you can decide what to offer. If it was me I wouldn't even go back there.
Old 14-08-2011, 15:41

Lightbulb

There's always another caravan for sale, at the right price. Remember the Mantra, Park First, then Pitch, then price, then property(caravan). Talk to other owners and ask lots of questions, of them. You need to visit a lot of sites for elimination purposes, and although gut instinct can be reliable, you can't beat backing it up with some hard research and facts and figures. Its got to be head ruling heart unless you've got loadsa money!
Old 14-08-2011, 19:33

We could buy a new van sited on ours for almost that and they put 10 000 on the list price. 2002 vans are about the 16 000 so to me it seems too much.

Good friends are hard to find, difficult to leave and impossible to forget.
Old 14-08-2011, 21:16

Wow that's a massive Mark up on price, I would def shop around as I would feel annoyed that they'd even tried to sell me a van worth maybe 5k at 27k! Even if it's the most amazing site you've ever seen it surly still can't be worth that amount? Our site marked our van up approx 3k and we were happy with that amount.
Old 14-08-2011, 21:25

Wow that sounds pricey.We are new to this but that sound very expensive
Old 14-08-2011, 21:52

If you like it and can afford it and want it then go for it. BUT in the open market it seems hellishy toppy. Our van (a 2008 3 bedroom 12 foot wide thing) with deck was only around 22k new.... even figuring some commission for the saleman (they have to eat too) Its hard to reconcile the price you've been offered.

http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc475/BarryD65/
Old 14-08-2011, 22:37

I think that is way too expensive. We bought an Atlas Everglade Super 2002 - 3 bedrooms with full decking, shed, gas bottles in very good condition last year for 11,750. We also found silly prices were being asked at some sites we looked at.
A few new carpets wouldn't cost very much and you could do them yourself.

Last edited by Clarissa; 14-08-2011 at 22:39.