Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Buying A Static Caravan

Buying A Static Caravan Advice for those about to purchase a static caravan.

Old 24-05-2012, 17:21

Location wise you'll be much happier with the shorter travel time - and probably manage to visit it more.

Sounds like the spot is perfect even if the site isn't exactly where you want it.

Which is the best compromise for you - the location or the fact that you may not get the exact one you want for a year or 2?

Old 24-05-2012, 17:27
Retired Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiesolo View Post
Too expensive for the van even with the decking. Just looked at the van pics, nice but not worth 30k IMO. I would be looking at 25k tops for the amount of time left on the van and the short site owning time. Don't forget that the van has aslo been faffed with regarding the seating-that wll devalue it somewhat.

Si
yes thats true , , guess so then ., its true you prob wont ever get a lake shore spot up the lakes as too expensive , i suppose its down to what you want to do up the lakes in spare time and whether will miss doing that? is the site in scotland quite remote ? , think there will be sites outside lakes so can drive in now and again ,but its frustrating not being there really so we found anyway ,
Old 24-05-2012, 17:36
Retired Member

i just looked on the caravan dealers site and seen the actual van , well the views from the lounge are to die for ! i dont know about the value whether too much or not , but in a position like that i wouldnt think it would be around for long , and i expect if it was on another site you may pay a premium for that view and pitch , as some have said before about prime pitches costing more , so i think its down to whether mr and mrs shuggie like the van and site enough to make an offer , or whether its the lakes ? its a very modern van isnt it , i could sit there watching that view and be quite content , but then we live in midlands so dont see it very often ,
looking at the reviews on the site it says its down a narrow lane and the next village is bit quiet nice pub etc , site has good reviews but is based around watersports jet skis , etc , if they are using the loch that could be noisy i suppose , it does come down to which is more important really ,

Last edited by Retired Member 4; 24-05-2012 at 17:49.
Old 24-05-2012, 17:38
Banned

It looks like a well finished van and was probably very expensive when new I have delt with the company selling it before when buying a tourer and they are a pretty hard nosed bunch.I agree that 30k seems a bit high but the situation on the shores of the loch make it a prime position.However I am trying to keep in mind the guidlines of park,site,van in that order I also understand we couldnt have picked a better day to see it as it was a scorcher.
Old 24-05-2012, 17:54
Retired Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuggiegreen View Post
It looks like a well finished van and was probably very expensive when new I have delt with the company selling it before when buying a tourer and they are a pretty hard nosed bunch.I agree that 30k seems a bit high but the situation on the shores of the loch make it a prime position.However I am trying to keep in mind the guidlines of park,site,van in that order I also understand we couldnt have picked a better day to see it as it was a scorcher.
yes it seems like a high spec van to me , it wouldnt have ben cheap new looking at it , and there are otheres advertised on net about that price and more , with the deck and the view it wouldnt be cheap? just wondered about the watersports ? were they using the loch much when you visited shughie ?, think i would like see it at busy times too like weekends just to see what happens with the jet skis , if they use them there
Old 24-05-2012, 18:05
Banned

Just below the van there is a shore area where you can sit and there was a group enjoying a picnic and a few beers in the sunshine.They had a speed boat which the towed somone behind it was quite interesting but dont know if it would bother me or not ?there is a jetty for mooring boats not to far away but thats good as maybe I could get a small boat through time.The site doesnt allow letting of vans so it should be owners and families.I tell you though fair gives you a headache all this thinking am I thinking to much or were you folk the same when you bought your vans?
Old 24-05-2012, 18:22

you only at the headache stage !!! wait till the migrains kick in
Old 24-05-2012, 18:24

You know something Shugs. You have been looking for ages, the site fees on this site are not too bad-the time to get to the van is spot on making it cost effective in time and fuel. If can afford the van and like the pitch and van then go for it mate. I truly mean that. I think that it may well be worth it for you despite what I said about price-the location is damn near perfect-the van is damn near perfect-site fees are not bad at all-pity the season is a tad short. Overall, I think it is well worth considering-and quickly as has been said that van on that pitch will not last long.

Si

Check out the social group clubs on my page:http://www.gostatic.co.uk/member.php?u=17474
BERT the Gostatic mascot-RIP 2012. Fare well faithful defender of our static
Old 24-05-2012, 18:26
Retired Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuggiegreen View Post
Just below the van there is a shore area where you can sit and there was a group enjoying a picnic and a few beers in the sunshine.They had a speed boat which the towed somone behind it was quite interesting but dont know if it would bother me or not ?there is a jetty for mooring boats not to far away but thats good as maybe I could get a small boat through time.The site doesnt allow letting of vans so it should be owners and families.I tell you though fair gives you a headache all this thinking am I thinking to much or were you folk the same when you bought your vans?
the van was fine for us shuggie , didnt have to think too muh about that as knew whch site we wanted , that or not having one , so bit different to you , and only had one to look at but luckily we loved it , and we werent in your price range , so limited , our biggest headaches was making the decision knowing the motorhome had to go as hubby loved it , but he was fine when saw van i left it to him we had the key and had a look all afternoon site owner went home ! hubby looked round and asked what i thought , i said its lovely but youll have to sell motorhome , he said well i like it ........... dont you ? i said yes but you have to be sure wont miss it after , its your thing really , he said he was sure he would adjust as static would suit better more space , bed made up and all family can use it , so that was it , we liked it soon as saw it , it sounds as tho youre not sure of location shuggie , is your wife realy keen , whats her view on it ?
i booked hubby on a jet ski lesson when he was 40 , the noise from half dozen on lake was pretty annoying , nice to watch tho ,

one of the reviews mentioned never having seen so many speedboats and jet skis before , thats the part i would be concerned about , its weekends and school hols when will get busy , but its mainly statics by sound of it , so where do the boats come from , ? ,, you do have to think as its big decision want all be perfect , least the weathers better so can see the sites in sun , so is this site further up into scotland than where you live , away from lake district ?
Old 24-05-2012, 18:41
Banned

janinel. I know how you felt about selling your motorhome it was a wrentch you know you will miss it but the static offers different things.I have my tourer which I need to move on so its not pain free but im not going to get any younger and travelling long distances and then setting it up will be more of a chore.I dont think there will be lots of water craft as it is one of Scotlands smaller lochs.You asked what my wife thinks she is such a quiet person its difficult to know her stock phrase is its up to you.The bit about your family useing your van is good and our family could also use it when you weigh up te pros and cons confusion reigns.However,as has already been said I dont think it will be for sale for long so there is a time constraint.