Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > The Lounge > Introduction

Introduction Why not take a moment to introduce yourself.

Old 22-10-2013, 04:48

Default New & in Devon

My parents had a static in Barmouth, OH's parents had one in Bala, they both swapped later in life to tourers, we have only ever done touring.
I worked part time on our site upto 18 years old.
We both love the environment & the people so much so that we bought a site, I like reading the posts on here they are enlightening to us. I think anyone buying a static must be bonkers, its financial suicide, but then all your posts are starting to make us realise why you do it. It's really nice to read about the enjoyment your van brings to you. Hopefully my contribution to your forum will be an alternative opinion if something isn't going quite right with your site owner.
We are in Devon
When I was a child I learn't Welsh as we spent so much time at the van, I am almost fluent in south waleian these days as we have lots of guests from Wales. Have any of you learn't Welsh ?
Anyone on Rob & Chris's site opposite the wayside ?

Old 22-10-2013, 11:38

Hello and welcome, it is nice to have you here.

For years whilst my daughter (27 now), was growing up, we rented a van on that site opp wayside, right at the bottom in front of the sea........gorgeous, thats when i got the static bug, and always knew that one day, we would have our own. My friend still has a van there and we used to use it, but havent since bought my own van.

If i was retired i would be most likely on that site, though they have packed the vans in a bit tighter than they used to. However, it just couldnt be done, as i still have 17 years working to go - unless win lottery
When we bought our van it had to be an easier travel than Barmouth is, for us to be able to use it every weekend. I love the drive and from us in Cheshire, it is approx 2.5 hours.......just too much for our useage.

Last edited by DianeW; 22-10-2013 at 11:42.
Old 22-10-2013, 12:19

Hi and ...hope you have a successful time....my only welsh is Bargain
Old 23-10-2013, 20:18

Financial suicide, depreciating asset etc etc.... But we still joined the club! Every sensible advice my dear father gave (retired bank manager) went out of the window when 'we bought the lifestyle we wanted'
I make myself feel better by saying to the OH ' Some people spend 4000 a year on an all inclusive package holiday- for only 2 weeks!'
Old 23-10-2013, 20:39
Supporting Member

[QUOTE=Lifesforliving;129693]Financial suicide, depreciating asset etc etc.... But we still joined the club! Every sensible advice my dear father gave (retired bank manager) went out of the window when 'we bought the lifestyle we wanted'
I make myself feel better by saying to the OH ' Some people spend 4000 a year on an all inclusive package holiday- for only 2 weeks!'[/QUOTE]

yes I agree and each to their own I say.... we used to go abroad in the peak summer months to Greece, we had to go in july/august because of my hubby's work holidays....
it used to cost us a bomb...by owning our static we can go whenever we like.. that is how we justify the costs.....
not that we have to justify ourselves to anyone...but it makes me feel better for saying that....

NEVER REGRET ANYTHING THAT MADE YOU SMILE
Old 23-10-2013, 21:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysport View Post
My parents had a static in Barmouth, OH's parents had one in Bala, they both swapped later in life to tourers, we have only ever done touring.
I worked part time on our site upto 18 years old.
We both love the environment & the people so much so that we bought a site, I like reading the posts on here they are enlightening to us. I think anyone buying a static must be bonkers, its financial suicide, but then all your posts are starting to make us realise why you do it. It's really nice to read about the enjoyment your van brings to you. Hopefully my contribution to your forum will be an alternative opinion if something isn't going quite right with your site owner.
We are in Devon
When I was a child I learn't Welsh as we spent so much time at the van, I am almost fluent in south waleian these days as we have lots of guests from Wales. Have any of you learn't Welsh ?
Anyone on Rob & Chris's site opposite the wayside ?
to GS Andy
I would really love to learn Welsh and I even investigated any colleges in the vicinity of our van that do Welsh language courses. Trouble was that they were on weekdays when I couldn't guarantee being in the area.
When I get chance to chat to our site owners I often ask them how to pronounce the local place names and I have a BBC Welsh dictionary on my iPad

I spent a lot of my childhood holidaying in the Aberdovey area of Wales but we decided that the distance, travelling time and winding roads (I suffer with travel sickness) were a must to avoid so we decided to buy on the North Wales coast.
Old 24-10-2013, 20:41

Marianda 24 try bbc speaksomethinginwelsh
Old 25-10-2013, 10:19

to the forum Andysport, it's good to get different perspectives - van owners and park owners

http://s1256.photobucket.com/albums/ii490/bluemax90/
Old 25-10-2013, 11:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysport View Post
Marianda 24 try bbc speaksomethinginwelsh
Thanks Andy I will!
Old 26-10-2013, 04:49

Marianda 24,
I think you mean't to say "Diolch Andy byddaf yn"
Pob lwc yn mwynhau

It's a lot harder to write than it is to speak