Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > Marketplace > Static Caravan Wanted

Static Caravan Wanted Are you looking to buy a satic caravan? Why not tell us?

Old 23-04-2017, 15:08

Default Looking for a 3 bed in Kent

Hi - I'm new to the group and actively looking to buy my first static caravan.
I have done some research and I'm looking for a 3 bed caravan with double glazing and heating.
I'd like a caravan that has a door between the bedrooms and living area preferably.
I've been looking at Park Holiday sites (sorrybif im not allowed to mention) but unsure if I'm getting a good deal.
I have a family with children of all ages so would like something on a site that is family oriented, very close to the sea and easy commute from London/by train.
I've asked the park I'm interested in if I can bring a static on to the site and waiting their reply.
I'm a cash buyer and was hoping the park I liked would have been a little more eager for my custom!!

Any suggestions/advice is greatly appreciated

Old 24-04-2017, 00:26

Hi Morning Treacle, I can't offer much advice with regards to the area as I'm a few hundred mile north of Kent.
The "big" park owners like the one you're looking at and the one beginning with "H" do seem to charge a far higher price for the vans rather than the smaller sites. If you have to sell back to them they will offer you a much lower price than you paid, so please do think carefully before committing. A caravan is very much a lifestyle and you need to factor in site fees, rates, gas, electricity, drain downs, insurance etc. Usually you can get much better value from a smaller site, however the trade off is usually less amenities, so it depends on what your needs are. You would need to check with the Park with regards to a "bring on" (as you have done), they usually stipulate that the van has to be under a certain age and also that it you have owned it on another site for a minimum of 12 months, and there are all sorts of other restrictions, so it may not be the best way for you, depending on your circumstances.
May I suggest having a look on google and google earth as you can sometimes spot caravan parks that don't necessarily have a web site. Good luck in your search
Old 24-04-2017, 20:26

That's a great idea I'll definitely be google earthing!!

The park called Sunday said they'd give me a deal
For cash etc on what looked like an attractive option - today i was told it wasn't three bed but two (!)

Needless to say I'm devastated
Old 25-04-2017, 02:33

Oh no, I bet you were. Do you definitely need a 3 bed? Mine is a 2 bed and I like the extra space in the bedroom, though we do have an en-suite loo. I find that 3 beds are very tight on space in the bedrooms but that's a personal choice and it may not suit you needs.
I always chuckle when I see 3 beds as that would sleep 8 people, however, there isn't enough room to get 8 people round the dining table so you would need to have a relay system for meals lol.
Don't give up, your site and van is out there waiting for you - it's just a matter of finding "the one" and once you do it will be worth it :-)
Old 25-04-2017, 20:50

Default Gutted is not the word

The site offered to bring a static to Kent for me to view and I fell in the with the pictures and they agreed my price so I was thrilled and already deciding what to buy for it in my head......

The next day the salesperson rang to say a wall had been taken out so it was in fact a two bed now not the three I had been told!
I've got five children and I think it would be good to split everyone up into rooms and avoid sleeping in the lounge as I like to get up and have a mental health moment before the family wake up.

I might be being too picky I'm not sure but my hopes have been dashed!
Old 26-04-2017, 04:07

Hmmm, 5 children - you definitely need a mental health moment lol ... or a tv sorry, only joking!. I think a 3 bed would be better for you - then you can get the kids to bed and still have a place to relax and unwind, you can't exactly do that with kids sleeping in the living room - unless you get a tv in main bedroom and retire to there.

Personally, I wouldn't want a van that has had structural alterations in the form of fixed seating taking out or walls taking out. I would be concerned as to the safety of the structure as both walls and seating can form part of the structure. There has been a lot of discussion on this forum with regards to that. Also, when you come to sell a van on, if it's structure has been altered apparently dealers won't touch it as they want it as standard or as it was when it was built. Obviously if it's a 20 yr old van this won't make a difference as the van will be worth nothing anyway.
I'd say stick it out with your search. Carry on looking til you find your 3 bedroom with the layout that works for your family, a van is a considered purchase and you don't want to be having to change it in 6 months as you will lose a lot of money on it. The right van and site is out there for you, don't let the site pressure you into buying something that's not right for you.
Old 26-04-2017, 11:59

There are 4 bedroom vans out there...
Old 27-04-2017, 16:57

Hi Morning Treacle and to GoStatic. I love your user name by the way.

I'm not situated in your required area so can't help in that respect but I agree with everything Trish has said. Any van that has been changed, especially by taking down walls, should normally be avoided as it could make it structurally unsound and let's face it there are more than enough proper 2 and 3 bedroomed vans about without having to make do. Also as Treetopper suggested, why not look around for one of the not so easy to find 4 bedroom vans which would make life with 5 kids much more easy.

It's lovely that you are able to consider buying a static caravan while you children are young as they will love spending their summers in a caravan and you'll be making lots of happy memories for them to cherish.

Good luck in your search xxx
Old 27-04-2017, 17:08

Europa do a 4 bedroom cypress van...so you might be able to find a used one..