Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Owning A Caravan > Disabled Access Caravan's

Disabled Access Caravan's Discussion about adapting caravans for disable use and all issues regarding disability and static caravans

Old 27-12-2011, 15:56

What annoys me, is that you can never book a disabled van online like everyone else. Ive found, you always have to call some expensive number, to be put on hold, to be told that all the vans are booked....
I went to the same park in Blackpool for 3 years in a row, the parks name sounds like tartin tear...lol....anyway, we had the same van each year. Each year I paid more money and was told that it was their highest category van - i dont think so...first year maybe, not by the third!

Old 28-08-2013, 07:21

Location: Barmouth, Gwynedd - where the mountains meet the sea
Default refresher

This is an older thread, but I've noticed quite a few guests reading this recently, so I thought it may be interesting to invite more posts.
We have a lot of new members, so I wondered if anyone would like to share their experiences prior to buying a static caravan :-) (see first post).

Were your needs met?

Live life forwards, but learn from it backwards ...

http://s1090.photobucket.com/user/ae...?sort=2&page=1

Last edited by Angela M; 28-08-2013 at 07:23.
Old 28-08-2013, 21:39

I had my first knee replaced at 54 and the second at 56 and yes, it is young as far as the medical profession are concerned.

To answer your question Angie, I have never rented a caravan suitable for disabled people but when I was looking at vans with a view to buying one I realised that not every van is suitable for people with mobility problems.

We looked at a few vans and they all seemed to be ok until I started to get tired and I had to sit down. Thats when the problems started....
A lot of beds were too low (usually the ones with the storage underneath)and I couldn't stand up on my own (not good when I also have bladder problems!). The bed in our van is a normal divan and it is much higher than the usual caravan beds
Some of the fixed seating was also too low and I found that vans with proper armchairs were more suitable as I could stand up without any assistance from other people. Saying that though, I had to be pulled out of an armchair on one occasion as the chair I was sitting in was one of the swivel types and it kept turning while I was trying to stand up.

I would recommend that anyone with hip or knee problems should try out the seating, beds and also toilet seats before you buy as it can make things very uncomfortable if you always need to have someone with you when you want to stand up.

Also its worth making sure you can get in and out of the shower. Some of the shower cubicles have a very high panel that you have to step over to get into the shower. I struggled to get over this panel in some vans and it could be even more difficult if you were wet. I cant stand for long so Ive also had to consider whether there would be room in my shower for a shower seat, fortunately there is!

Hope this is the info you wanted Angie. If not, feel free to move or delete
Old 28-08-2013, 22:00

Location: Barmouth, Gwynedd - where the mountains meet the sea

Thank you very much, that's just the kind of info we need on this thread.

Live life forwards, but learn from it backwards ...

http://s1090.photobucket.com/user/ae...?sort=2&page=1