Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > The Lounge > General Discussion

General Discussion General non-caravan related discussion

Old 16-02-2011, 11:37

Location: Barmouth, Gwynedd - where the mountains meet the sea
Smile What fond memories of early caravan holidays do you have?

Over the last few weeks, I've been looking at the photo's people are posting on here, and it's started me thinking, gosh, how caravans have changed since I first had a caravan holiday with my parents as a little girl...
My dad worked for 'British Rail' so he used to get so many free passes per year, and that's where it all began I suppose...
Dad bought a caravan in Rhyl, and we spent many happy years there as a family.
Our caravan was a was a four berth, with an actual coal fire as heating, we had no hot water, no toilet or shower! We used the shower/toilet block, and so did everyone else. The two single beds were like they are in a tourer ~ full length single, mum and dads bed pulled down from an inside wall ~ once down, she undid the straps which kept all the mattress and bedding in place, and hey presto! When I think about it I can hear the sound of those springs as if it was yesterday lol. She then would pull a curtain across that she had made for privacy and that was that ~ simples...
Gosh how things have changed eh?

My entertainment as a child on holiday, would be hiring a bike (which all the kids did with their pocket money) for a couple of hours, or hiring one of those two person bench-seated bikes with a canopy overhead ~ they probably don't exist anymore lol. I'd spend hours playing outside exploring, and used to race to the fence on the edge of the site to wave to the train drivers as they sped past, I was soo excited if they waved back.
On the main parade in Rhyl there used to be a theatre with a domed roof, an outdoor rollerskating ring, and an open air swimming pool that was always FREEZING no matter how nice the weather was lol, I wonder if any have survived?
We would walk with our picnic along the path that stretched through the golf course, over the sand dunes, and onto the beach. Sometimes I'd do a spot of fishing with dad (I was a bit of a tomboy).
Our leisure time seemed so simple looking back, nowadays its sooo hard to drag my 'big' kids away from the playstation, and facebook and computers (says me ha ha!)

If mum and dad were still with us, I can't imagine what they would think of new caravans today...

So, how have things changed in your life as far as caravans go??

Live life forwards, but learn from it backwards ...

http://s1090.photobucket.com/user/ae...?sort=2&page=1
Old 16-02-2011, 11:55
Supporting Member

wow Angela what a question...and the train thing? me ole mum's brother was a train driver in Manchester Area and when my older brother was little she used to go to the level crossing when his train was due and he used to toot his train horn at her......

well i never ever had a caravan holiday as a child... dad was in the forces and we went 'all over' the place...
But when my children were 4 and 1 we went on our first caravanholiday to, funny enough, Rhyl, well Towyn actually...
It was on Ty Mawr and it was- i think- a Haven site back then....
well the excitement on the kids faces was a treat.... It had bunk beds and a tiny bedroom for me and hubby.... No DG and No CH and i remember it was freezing at night!!
the camp entertainment catered for the children which was what it was all about, after all, if the kids are happy then I am happy...
we went into Rhyl shopping and also the beach... many many happy memories....
subsequent caravan holidays were at Martin mere, Cala gran, morecombe, presthaven... all van holidays and i remember son and daughter being chased round the van by hubby and then hubby lifting son up and putting him on top of someones van!!! and daughter always fed the birds and ducks giving them one crumb at a time.... many many happy memories of me and my family and our van holidays
I think that is why i have got one now.. do you think hubby could lift son up now?? haha 24 and 6' 2"

NEVER REGRET ANYTHING THAT MADE YOU SMILE
Old 16-02-2011, 12:09
Supporting Member

We used to go on Hoseasons holidays with my grandparents - sometimes in those cardboard chalets they used to have (!!), but sometimes in caravans. I remember one year we went to a site near Christchurch that had loads of trees - it was normal to be woken in the morning by the sound of squirrels playing on the carvan roofs (some people put food up there for them, eventhough holiday-makers were asked not to - it's hard to resist tempting them so the kids can watch them up-close!). About mid-way through the week, an African hornbill (HUGE bird!) escaped from a nearby wildlife park and took up residence in the site's trees - now THAT made a noise on the roof!!
Old 16-02-2011, 12:36
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scampi View Post
We used to go on Hoseasons holidays with my grandparents - sometimes in those cardboard chalets they used to have (!!), but sometimes in caravans. I remember one year we went to a site near Christchurch that had loads of trees - it was normal to be woken in the morning by the sound of squirrels playing on the carvan roofs (some people put food up there for them, eventhough holiday-makers were asked not to - it's hard to resist tempting them so the kids can watch them up-close!). About mid-way through the week, an African hornbill (HUGE bird!) escaped from a nearby wildlife park and took up residence in the site's trees - now THAT made a noise on the roof!!
ooo i forgot about the birds on the roof.... always had seagulls pitter pattering.. i loved it...

haven't had one seagull on my van roof yet!! there are lots of ducks in the park waddling around tho... are the seagulls scared of ducks or sumat??

NEVER REGRET ANYTHING THAT MADE YOU SMILE
Old 16-02-2011, 13:02

We have some 'real mamas' on ours, its funny I love it

Old 16-02-2011, 13:26

i can vaguely remember going in a caravan when i was little but whenmy kids cme along we always hired one with my mam and dad then hubbys parents bought one and we hired theres at least it had leccy when i was little it was gas mantles but we had some great holidays is mam and dad used to go in march and unless anyone wanted it would not come back till october i remember saying to hubby how the heck can they stay in that caravan all that time.............heeeee now ide do it givn half a chance
Old 16-02-2011, 15:07
Supporting Member

I can remember the vans with no electric and no running water, no fridges so the milk had to stand in a bucket of cold water. I didn't mind fetching the water but I hated emptying the 'slop' bucket from under the sink. My mum used to pack a box of things so we could have a drink and something to eat as soon as we arrived. I remember the large tins of 'tom piper' and the condensed milk in squeezy tubes that tasted disgusting. I remember the trips to the shower block and loos before bedtime but I can't ever remember being cold.
Shooting on a few years to being a teenager and going to my cousins van at Primrose Valley, he had electric so when we went out drinking (me and my mates) we used to leave the bedroom light on so we could find the van in the dark (no one else had electric near his van). We were so lazy and none of us would fetch clean water, so we used to wash the sink out with lemonade. I once had a brainwave, we had no water so I put milk in the kettle for a coffee, I wouldn't recommend it though, all the boiling milk came shooting out of the spout, well you're only 17 once.
When we bought our first van as a newly married couple it was like paradise, electric, shower and toilet, absolute heaven and Primrose Valley was a lot smaller than it is now and Butlins was next door.
ML.
Old 16-02-2011, 15:11

Location: Towyn North Wales..where the Brummies meet the Scousers.

I didn't have many holidays as a kid.Times were hard for us and because of my dad being a self employed gardener summer was his busiest time so he couldn't afford the time off to take us away much.I can remember a caravan holiday in devon and i'd be about six or seven then.Then the next holiday would be when i was about ten and thats when it felt like my first real holiday.God i loved that caravan.It was a family members van in Towyn but i can't remember whos in the family it was now.I remember the fold down beds and the bright orange fabrics on the cushions like it were yesterday.I cried on leaving day because i knew it would be ages before i saw it again,and it was.I vowed that one day i would buy our own in Towyn and i have now.I think we went once more to the caravan when i was about fourteen but it was a more modern one and wether it was because i was older i don't know but it just didn't feel as nice as the other one.Funny reading posts above about huge birds waddling about.Theres a couple on our site but they aint got no feathers....
Old 16-02-2011, 15:16

Daaaas! don't be naughty!!

I'm loving these stories ... more please!

Old 16-02-2011, 15:30

Although I live near Tenby I recall going there to Kiln Park with my best friend and her Mum and "Uncle" to stay in their caravan. The caravan had a half door we leaned out on. We had time on the beach and saw a guy who had drowned being pulled out on North Beach! Funny the things that stick in your mind. Later my parents had a tourer at Little Haven and then a static at Broad Haven....I just dread the day when we decide to hang up our caravan keys.....in retirement now, it's our escape, change of scenery....ooooh it's in me blood methinks!!!