Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Owning A Caravan

Owning A Caravan Discussion about owning a caravan.

Old 08-11-2010, 12:51

Location: Towyn North Wales..where the Brummies meet the Scousers.
Default Caravan Memories

When i was a kid i remember having holidays in a family members static on several occasions.I was only about ten or eleven then, but i can remember the excitement of the journey to Wales and the first glimpse of the caravan after a whole year away.Then the caravanny smell of the gas light mantles and the steam kettle on the gas stove.
I made me a vow everytime we had to come home that one day...just one day i would have a caravan of my very own to visit whenever i wanted.It's took a fair few years and 'nearly' buying one more times than i can remember,before we finally took the plunge and got our very own van.
Now don't get me wrong here,we love our caravan,but all those years growing up pining for our week in August in the van must have done something to my mind because now we have one it just doesnt feel...well...exciting anymore.We love the freedom and the life it affords us but when i walk up the steps and open the door i want to be that kid again,smelling all those old caravan smells and arguing which bed is going to be mine.
I think the caravans of yesteryear had more character too.Gone are the gas mantles and the bright orange seat covers that i can remember vividly and also the dark wood panelling to be replaced with light bright colours(although this is perhaps no bad thing).
I think somewhere in the last 25 years i must've grown up and become an adult(although the mother in law would dispute this) and the memories of my childhood cannot be relived either,so this is where i suppose i have to start having adult fun(wife getting worried) and to not to expect the holiday atmosphere of a child in the eighties.
Thanks for reading.

Last edited by dasboot; 08-11-2010 at 12:56.

Old 08-11-2010, 13:08

hahahah das really enjoyed reading this although i would,nt want to go back to the old vans i too remember the fun of lighting the gas mantles as it was a novelty
Old 08-11-2010, 13:21
Supporting Member

what on earth is a gas mantle?

we never holidayed in statics when i was a youngster as dad was in the forces and we were away a lot but when my children were 2 and 5 we went to wales on holiday in a static caravan, so many happy memories of the van, the club house, just the whole fun of the holiday really.. hubby being off work and spending time with the kids... precious memories- never forgotten x

and now i have my very own static and my kids are older but hopefully one day i will become a nana and i can take my grandchildren to my van..

talking of smells- i shut the van down yesterday and brought some stuff home and the double quilt that i brought home- dont laugh!!- i found myself sniffing it cos it smelt of the van.....

NEVER REGRET ANYTHING THAT MADE YOU SMILE
Old 08-11-2010, 13:49

lol Tiamaria.The gas light mantles were used to light the caravan before electric was in the vans! The one i remember had been converted to run on electric ie sockets,but there was no electric light.They were situated around the top of the caravan and were basically a gas flame with a glass shade around.They gave off a very distinctive smell once lit!
Old 08-11-2010, 14:17
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasboot View Post
lol Tiamaria.The gas light mantles were used to light the caravan before electric was in the vans! The one i remember had been converted to run on electric ie sockets,but there was no electric light.They were situated around the top of the caravan and were basically a gas flame with a glass shade around.They gave off a very distinctive smell once lit!
thanks das, hence your memories from the smell x

NEVER REGRET ANYTHING THAT MADE YOU SMILE
Old 08-11-2010, 14:55

I may be showing my age here but I can remember the gas mantles, flimsy little blighters that use to disintegrate if you were not careful and the relaxing put put sound they made. I do think the old vans had atmosphere too, mine is a 2002 and not as modern as these wonderful sudo bungalow caravans I see but I love the woodwork and the cosiness of it.
Old 08-11-2010, 15:31

I'm in my early 40 and god I remember that smell... every year August bank holiday we all went to Skeggy, hence why we have one there now.. but not the same site... Sunny Mead I think across from the Market and funfair.. which was really small back them... 4 kids, 1 babysister, 1 auntie and Mum and Dad... gods know where we all went to sleep but I can remember the curtains that separated each room.. we needed the car battery to work the telly each night... dad use to put back on the car each morning to recharge it again lol on a nice day all the cushions were pile outside for sunbathing.. on Wed the long walk from Ingoldmells and Skeggy on the top road ..god we hated that walk and Fri spent in Butlins... thats why we brought one on Walshs on the top road in between Skeggy and ingoldmells just incase I decide to walk to Skeggy...
Old 08-11-2010, 16:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen11048 View Post
I'm in my early 40 and god I remember that smell... every year August bank holiday we all went to Skeggy, hence why we have one there now.. but not the same site... Sunny Mead I think across from the Market and funfair.. which was really small back them... 4 kids, 1 babysister, 1 auntie and Mum and Dad... gods know where we all went to sleep but I can remember the curtains that separated each room:
God yes,the curtains.Orange for the windows and dark brown room separaters.Those were the days...
Old 08-11-2010, 17:41

I remember when my dad had a pemberton in the early 70's, it had gas mantles and a wood burning stove, it used to be roasting whilst the fire was lit and freezing cold in the mornings, we even had to collect our water from a tap on the site in a large aluminium barrel, there was no bathroom as such as we had to use the site toilets and wash facilities, the site is still running to this day but is now owned by salop leisure, and I nearly forgot to mention it had two pull down double beds, the one nearest the kitchen had a fold down table attached, it was really so basic but good fun when i was a kid
Old 08-11-2010, 19:11

When I was little my auntie sylvia had a beach hut and I always wanted to go there. I'm sure that's the seed of my static desire.