Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > The Lounge > General Discussion

General Discussion General non-caravan related discussion

Old 25-03-2015, 12:51

Default caravan holidays in the 1960's & 1970's

Reading through some of the memories of caravanning it reminds me of holidays as a child in the 1960's and 1970's. For ten years from 1965-75 during August's 'factory fortnight' my parents would rent a caravan at Crimdon Dene in North East England. Although it was less than ten miles from home, it seemed to us kids like a whole new world. My Dad was in his element as he always liked caravans and caravan people, but I'm certain that my mother hated it though!
At the time, the site was owned by the local council in Easington (it's now Park Resorts) and was very basic with toilet blocks and stand-pipes for drinking water. The caravans had no fixed sewerage or water supply, so plastic containers were constantly being filled with drinking water. There was no electricity supply either and caravan lighting often used strange little gas lights lit by hand. The cooker was usually a 'baby belling' which looked like a childs' toy but seemed very efficient - the fresh air always made us starving - the tiny gas bottle was in a cupboard underneath! A portable radio, Monopoly and card games were evening entertainment - the TV was never missed.
As children we loved it of course, going to the beach everyday to collect driftwood and sea-coal for the solid-fuel stove, wandering around the really quite large site looking at all the different styles of caravan and walking our Yorkshire Terriers - we even took the cat once, together with a washing line to stop him running away home!
For entertainment (though we usually made our own) there was a small fairground open everyday and the 'Lido' was a basic family oriented centre where bands sometimes performed. Strangely, the weather always seemed fine in those times!
A trip out meant catching a 'Northern' bus to Peterlee 'New Town' or Durham City. Once, we even ventured as far as Bishop Auckland - with our parents and the Yorkies of course!

Happy Days...

Old 25-03-2015, 16:21

I remember the smell of the gas for cooking etc as we never had gas anywhere near us at home. I also remember my dear dad going for the milk and eggs to the farm where the caravan was sited. We didn't have a car so we had to catch a bus into Silloth. I'm 58 now and I would have been about 5 or 6 judging by the photos (black and white). The caravan wasn't a static but a little one with a rounded kind of roof with little metal steps to get in and out. There was a thick curtain to pull over when I went to bed. It was all very exciting and another world to me.
Old 25-03-2015, 17:27
Departed Friend

we once stayed in a caravan on a site by the river in stratford on avon.no electricity,lights run off gas canister,and a tiny tv connected to a car battery.and no toilet in it.
Old 25-03-2015, 18:25

Also just remember my parents having a caravan on Lakeside I believe it was called at Burnham on Sea in the sixties. Remember the site more than the caravan, but being young was always playing out. Fishing in the lake, walking across the fields to climb Brent Knoll, even walking down the railway line to Brean Down and best of all the short walk to the beach and the amusements :-). Heady days when you only saw your parents when you were hungry :-)
Old 25-03-2015, 18:45
Departed Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam Yam View Post
Also just remember my parents having a caravan on Lakeside I believe it was called at Burnham on Sea in the sixties. Remember the site more than the caravan, but being young was always playing out. Fishing in the lake, walking across the fields to climb Brent Knoll, even walking down the railway line to Brean Down and best of all the short walk to the beach and the amusements :-). Heady days when you only saw your parents when you were hungry :-)
those were the days.
Old 25-03-2015, 19:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick1950 View Post
those were the days.
Exactly Mick1950. I'm so glad computers weren't around at the time. (Well they were but one of them would fill several rooms). Would hate to think my childhood memories only consisted of playing computer games and not being allowed out of sight of my parents. Bit sad really

Last edited by Yam Yam; 25-03-2015 at 21:47. Reason: spelling
Old 25-03-2015, 21:34

Not much money around when I was a kid (now 56) so little memories of camping and was never out of Scotland but we have had a static now for 10 years and have had one grandson up while he was young now seventeen and not interested and he has memories of it and now we have grandsons aged 5 and 3 who just today were asking when they are going up to the van, can't wait to have them there so not much memories myself but in the process of making them!

They call me Scary Granda! as I'm always looking for opertunities to ambush them! but now they are getting savy and I'm now the prey!

Just love it.
Old 26-03-2015, 11:20

Location: Barmouth, Gwynedd - where the mountains meet the sea

And that's what it's ultimately all about, making memories - you can't buy those

Live life forwards, but learn from it backwards ...

http://s1090.photobucket.com/user/ae...?sort=2&page=1
Old 27-03-2015, 19:12

A saying I was taught a while ago is 'if you don't do it' you don't have a memory!
Old 27-03-2015, 20:39
Departed Friend

we have lovely statics now,whether they are old or new,but we,ll never see those good days again................or am i just getting old?