Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Owning A Caravan

Owning A Caravan Discussion about owning a caravan.

Old 18-04-2010, 13:48

Default Sky tv in a caravan

Hi all, We are looking at getting a dish for our van so that we can access sky sports, has any-one done this? If you already have sky at home is there a way to do this without having to pay for your subscription twice? It's been suggested that if we got a dish and a cable and brought our sky box from home that we would be able to access all the channels that we can from home.

It would be a pain to keep having to connect/disconnect each weekend, but worth it I think. I'm going to ring sky this week for the official line but any one any hints/tips/advice?
Thanks

Old 18-04-2010, 20:59
Administrator

Hi Jules,

I have only ever had sky either at the van or at home never both (i don't think) so can't offer any advice but similar questions have been asked on here before so they may be of help.

Darrren

http://www.gostatic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=778 is one of the most replied to

Follow us on Twitter (Info)
Old 18-04-2010, 22:26

Thanks Darren....will have a read
Old 19-04-2010, 09:58

Send a message via AIM to G4Shallow

How spooky, I was just going to ask a similar question. We have been quoted 180 for installation of a std box, dish and 12 months warranty with a Freeview card. Seems expensive to me but I don't know anyone else who can do it.

He also stated that if we have the new white card we would probably be able to bring that card with us and it would work as Sky had not currently blocked them from working like the old card - anyone know if this is true?
Old 19-04-2010, 10:56

easy , get a dish fitted to your van then take your box and card with you , remember if you have a hd box the dish must be a hd compatable,
by the way the card is registerd to box, so if you get another box your card wont work in it, well youll get most programmes but not sky sports
Old 19-04-2010, 12:22

Thanks for your replies..... had another thought.......we have the standard package at home with sky sports, if we were to upgrade at home to sky mulirooom, we get a new sky box with a new card presumably? Could we then take that new box complete with card to the van and be able to watch skysports?

I know the multiroom subscription is 10, but don't know if this would include the skysports. We wouldn't mind paying 10 a month more....going to ring sky now to get the "official" view
Old 19-04-2010, 14:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jules66 View Post
Thanks for your replies..... had another thought.......we have the standard package at home with sky sports, if we were to upgrade at home to sky mulirooom, we get a new sky box with a new card presumably? Could we then take that new box complete with card to the van and be able to watch skysports?

I know the multiroom subscription is 10, but don't know if this would include the skysports. We wouldn't mind paying 10 a month more....going to ring sky now to get the "official" view

Hmmm, not got through to sky yet but on their website re multi room it says "Please note that the additional box will have to be connected to a working telephone line - this is to verify that all the boxes are being used at the same address"

I know my current box isn't connected to a phone line as the connection is loose and nothing has ever been said or no problems have so far occured...
Old 03-05-2010, 17:52

Location: Seacroft Holiday Estate, Trusthorpe near Sutton-on-Sea

I think the issue with the phone line is for new contracts, but if in doubt, use the new box at home and take your original to the van. Personally I wouldn't bother with multi room, just take your box with you. You can get adaptors on eBay to save you keep screwing and unscrewing connectors, they just push on. I "scrounged" a dish and fitted it to my existing tv arial bracket on the van, bought a new quad LNB for sky+ 6, a meter for lining up the dish 7, both from eBay and a few mtrs of twin cable from local supplier, took me about an hour to fix and run cable, (plenty of ways in for cable under floor into a cupboard). A tv arial installer should only charge about 40 to do it for you if you're not confident with having a go.

Hope this helps, Graham

PS: I have spare scart and power lead in place at the van
Old 03-05-2010, 19:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by jules66 View Post
Hmmm, not got through to sky yet but on their website re multi room it says "Please note that the additional box will have to be connected to a working telephone line - this is to verify that all the boxes are being used at the same address"

I know my current box isn't connected to a phone line as the connection is loose and nothing has ever been said or no problems have so far occured...
Sorry wrong thread

Last edited by JillyJane; 03-05-2010 at 19:45. Reason: in error oooooops
Old 10-05-2010, 20:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellabelly View Post
I think the issue with the phone line is for new contracts, but if in doubt, use the new box at home and take your original to the van. Personally I wouldn't bother with multi room, just take your box with you. You can get adaptors on eBay to save you keep screwing and unscrewing connectors, they just push on. I "scrounged" a dish and fitted it to my existing tv arial bracket on the van, bought a new quad LNB for sky+ 6, a meter for lining up the dish 7, both from eBay and a few mtrs of twin cable from local supplier, took me about an hour to fix and run cable, (plenty of ways in for cable under floor into a cupboard). A tv arial installer should only charge about 40 to do it for you if you're not confident with having a go.

Hope this helps, Graham

PS: I have spare scart and power lead in place at the van
Thanks Graham......
We've got a couple of other things connected to the sky box, so we just feel it would be a bit fiddly (and lazy I know!) to take the skybox each weekend. The main fiddly bit is that we have a sender unit transmitting the signal to other tv's in the house and we'd have to set that up again each time, which can be a pain. If we thought the multiroom would work, we'd be happy to pay 10 a month.....