Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Before Owning A Caravan

Before Owning A Caravan Discussion and advice on all aspects involved in deciding if a static caravan is right for you.

Old 23-03-2016, 18:50

Default Static caravan sites

Hi All, I am new to the forum so please be gentle!!.

We are holidaying at Haven at the minute in one of there vans and having a great time. We are thinking about buying a Static van but do not want to pay Haven prices for the van or the site fee's. We have seen a 2014 Static on eBay that has hardly been used. What I would like help with is does anybody know of any decent Caravan sites that we could site a private van either in Devon or Cornwall. We have three young children so the entertainment and swimming pool is a must, we would also sub let to try and recover some of the site fee's every year. Thanks for reading and any info would be appreciated.

Thanks
Tabatha

Old 23-03-2016, 19:00

do a search of the forum lots of these questions have been asked before and there is loads to read through. If you want something "less" than Haven we are happy on Hoburne and they have one at Goodrington. You will struggle to site a second hand caravan compared to buying one on site. Read the small print on lots you can only rent for so long through their schemes and there is pressure to upgrade

Good friends are hard to find, difficult to leave and impossible to forget.
Old 23-03-2016, 20:21
Departed Friend

,as maddy says parks that would allow what you want are very rare,and those who do will charge a small fortune to take the van on.
Old 23-03-2016, 21:47
Supporting Member

to GoStatic.
Take your time, do plenty research and it's mostly on here.
You've come to the right place.
Good luck and enjoy checking it all out.
Old 23-03-2016, 21:58

to the forum and the world of static caravans

Can I please suggest that you don't make any decisions until you've thoroughly researched the whole process of sourcing and buying a van on here. I don't want to sound disrespectful but it's not something to rush into and don't make any definite decisions until you are at home and out of holiday mode.

We have a general rule and that is find your ideal site first, then choose your pitch and finally pick your caravan. You can have the best caravan ever built but if it's located on the wrong site, on an unsuitable pitch then you won't enjoy it. You need to list exactly what amenities you want on a caravan park and only chose your pitch when you are 100% certain it's the site for you. And make sure that you get everything you are promised in writing.

Exciting times for you. Enjoy the experience but make sure you read up on the many pitfalls listed on this forum.
Old 24-03-2016, 08:28

to the forum. Some good advice above. There are some parks that will allow you to buy a van and site it on the park but where you are looking, it may be difficult.

Perhaps some members who have there vans in the area where you are looking, will be able to give you some ideas as to possible parks that will allow you to do that. I would also look on line at Caravan parks in your chosen locations. They may have an indication on their websites that they allow tow ons.

Please look into all associated costs in buying and keeping a caravan. From your comments, it seems that you are aware of site fees but there are other costs such as insurance, a portion of the parks rates, and others. Obviously site fees are usually associated with the facilities and location of the park.

Good luck in your search. I hope you find everything you want.
Old 24-03-2016, 08:30

Great advise Marianda - took the words right out of my mouth. Like a site, like the contract and only then commit to buy...

http://joloholidayhome.weebly.com/
Old 24-03-2016, 19:32

Jump right in your on holiday & got the buzz , we've all been there ,
Might be an idea to read buying section on this forum , good info

http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/y...dy/caravan.jpg
Old 25-03-2016, 07:13

Thank you all so much for taking your time and making me feel welcome.

After phoning God knows how many caravan sites about siting Our own van and getting no where we are now looking at buying a privately owned one on a big site, just got to find one!!
Old 25-03-2016, 14:40
Departed Friend

if you do buy a privately owned van on a big site,check with seller and the park office who is going to pay the exchange costs,and how long the park will allow you to keep the van on site.and get it all in writing.
also,many parks,including ours,will charge more for your pitch fees than they would if you buy from the park.so,if say they are going to up the pitch fees by 500 a year and you plan to keep the van long term, factor into the cost of the van the number of years you intend to keep it and times it by 500.