Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Owning A Caravan > Insurance

Insurance Discussion about all issues related to static caravan insurance, from which insurer to how best to make a claim.

Old 07-06-2015, 08:05

Well, we renewed our insurance through Towergate as it was much cheaper than the site's 'block policy' company. I understand it is our legal right to choose any insurance company we want. We have now had a letter from the site office stating that if we don't renew with their chosen company we will have to pay an admin fee of 35 +vat, we did expect this but what we didn't expect was the statements that -
1) if we aren't with their chosen company the site may not carry out any emergency repairs if needed.
2) if we do not insure with their chosen company they may decide not to extend our licence at the end of 10 years.
This is a shocker as we were told when we bought that we had 10 years, then would be given a further 2, followed by a licence on a year by year basis if the caravan is maintained. I feel this is almost like being blackmailed into buying their insurance, why should who I insure with effect my licence, as long as I am insured, surely this is wrong, what do others think?

http://s1167.photobucket.com/user/He...deshow/?sort=4

Old 07-06-2015, 10:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bells64 View Post
Well, we renewed our insurance through Towergate as it was much cheaper than the site's 'block policy' company. I understand it is our legal right to choose any insurance company we want. We have now had a letter from the site office stating that if we don't renew with their chosen company we will have to pay an admin fee of 35 +vat, we did expect this but what we didn't expect was the statements that -
1) if we aren't with their chosen company the site may not carry out any emergency repairs if needed.
2) if we do not insure with their chosen company they may decide not to extend our licence at the end of 10 years.
This is a shocker as we were told when we bought that we had 10 years, then would be given a further 2, followed by a licence on a year by year basis if the caravan is maintained. I feel this is almost like being blackmailed into buying their insurance, why should who I insure with effect my licence, as long as I am insured, surely this is wrong, what do others think?
The honeymoon is over
to fontygary
I did warn people about this park, judging by my experiences over the years on there
Old 07-06-2015, 13:12
Supporting Member

"Almost like being blackmailed " !!
I think you are being kind Heather. I understand it is common for some parks to charge a fee, admin. or however they wish to dress it up, but threats to withhold service should it be required and to suggest using your own insurer may affect your license is at best placing a heavy pressure on you as a customer to comply, and at worse, I guess you could say it is blackmail.
Very strange that they appear to make it clear that if you use your own insurer, they will charge a 35 fee, yet if a customer takes up that option, they become unpleasant.
What I think is, that's no way to run a business and it's certainly not endearing themselves to their customers. What a shame Heather.
Perhaps though, they are just flexing their muscle and you pay the fee and forget it, with nothing likely to happen.
Don't let it spoil your fun. That's why you are there.
Cheers.
Old 07-06-2015, 14:28

We have always gone with parks insurance which is new for old,and this year the price per 1000 has gone down and we have got more cover...and I can see why your site will not do repairs as your insurance may not re imburse your site for any work,unless you have claimed,which could take days.....For us its worth paying parks insurance for peace of mind,and believe it or not is cheaper than other insurances..

Last edited by treetopper; 07-06-2015 at 14:33.