Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Owning A Caravan > Insurance

Insurance Discussion about all issues related to static caravan insurance, from which insurer to how best to make a claim.

Old 23-11-2017, 18:41

My park insurance new for old leisuredays covering 60,000 459. Towergate covering 70,000 208. The price is set by the site. Sorry Mr park owner but the only thing missing is the mask!

Old 23-11-2017, 19:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosquito View Post
I think van owners should be able to take out their own insurance. As long as the cover is adequate there shouldn't be a problem.
I agree with the above. If you were compelled to take out the park insurance, then some parks could possibly think they could get away with charging anything? Should be the same as buying any product or service IMO, you have the freedom of choice to shop around and search for the best deal

Last edited by Cylon; 23-11-2017 at 19:59.
Old 23-11-2017, 21:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cylon View Post
I agree with the above. If you were compelled to take out the park insurance, then some parks could possibly think they could get away with charging anything? Should be the same as buying any product or service IMO, you have the freedom of choice to shop around and search for the best deal
I raised this very issue months ago under the heading cartels. I still maintain park owners run cartels on all sorts of services and the provision of goods. I was shot down in flames by members on here...??? Maybe one day the competition authority will take it up..Who knows it may turn into the next PPI scandal ?
Old 24-11-2017, 08:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter.R View Post
I raised this very issue months ago under the heading cartels. I still maintain park owners run cartels on all sorts of services and the provision of goods. I was shot down in flames by members on here...??? Maybe one day the competition authority will take it up..Who knows it may turn into the next PPI scandal ?
I can understand to an extent regarding appearance, like decking all being the same and parking areas and paths looking right. However, as long as the insurance cover is sufficient it should be a free market.
Old 24-11-2017, 10:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul BK View Post
I can understand to an extent regarding appearance, like decking all being the same and parking areas and paths looking right. However, as long as the insurance cover is sufficient it should be a free market.
I could not agree more Paul..!
Old 25-11-2017, 06:37

we went to the caravan show and tried to get a quote for decking from the firm our site uses. Not a chance would they quote or even give us a rough answer till we said where we were. We are allowed our own insurance if we produce the documents and it meets their standards. We are with towergate and its less than half the leisure days that they offer and I cant see a difference

Good friends are hard to find, difficult to leave and impossible to forget.
Old 25-11-2017, 08:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddy View Post
we went to the caravan show and tried to get a quote for decking from the firm our site uses. Not a chance would they quote or even give us a rough answer till we said where we were. We are allowed our own insurance if we produce the documents and it meets their standards. We are with towergate and its less than half the leisure days that they offer and I cant see a difference
It's only when you claim that there will be a difference....I read a financial paper acouple of years ago,basically it said that if there was a bad winter that some insurances would not be able to meet claims......sure Towergate was mentioned and that they were rerestructuring their massive debts....in other words equity firms were bailing them out....as I always say hope no one has to claim....

in our case when we claimed we were insured through site with ,compass,and had no problem ,hence the reason we stay with them,.
Old 25-11-2017, 10:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddy View Post
This exactly, actual it is better over for mine. As regards any Towergate debt etc, the are Leisure days biggest rival. The policies are underwritten by Allianz I believe.
Old 26-11-2017, 18:08

Well we have had the camper insurance with them since 2003 and the caravan since 2010 when we bought they were the sites preferred insurerer so as we already had a policy we stuck with them. I haven't claimed but when we swapped vans they were helpful and accommodating as we couldn't be certain of the date. I have just gone and looked at their reviews they still look pretty good to me and are local to us

Good friends are hard to find, difficult to leave and impossible to forget.

Last edited by Maddy; 26-11-2017 at 18:11.