Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > Marketplace > The Exchange > Available

Available Post your caravan available for exchange.

Old 18-10-2017, 04:39

Default Sites in Gloucestershire

I am looking to buy a cheap static caravan on a site in Gloucestershire which I can use for 6 weeks at a time a few times a year (I live in the States) I have found Willows, Sunset View, Little Meadow, Mill Avon, and Oakmere Park to name a few. My question is does anyone know if I can buy a van and get it sited on one of these sites. Do any forum members own on any of the mentioned sites. There is one possibility on Oakmere, but until I get the money together in about three months I can't go to England to look. Also, would a US water bll suffice as proof of a permanent residence. One last question, do the prices listed and the ground rent listed include VAT?

Old 18-10-2017, 13:31

Hi Alhan

welcome to the forum. I don't know the area so I can't give you any details to those specific sites unfortunately. You would need to ask if they allow "bring ons", and if they do then what are the charges. Many sites don't allow them and if they do the charges for taking your own van onto site can be very costly.
As a rule, you would need to show a UK residence as they need to be able to prove that you aren't going to live in the caravan permanently and that you are paying council tax at a permanent UK residence. However, you could always ring the site and ask them if that would suffice, if you don't ask then you don't get! It's better to get that sorted before you pay over any hard earned cash.
The prices listed and the site fees usually do include VAT, but again it's better to ask the site specifically as they may not be VAT registered if they have a turnover of under 85k, but it's highly likely that they will be VAT registered.
Also, you will need to think about the non business rates, ask how much they are as they aren't always included in the site fees and need to be paid separately. If on your chosen site you have a private electricity meter then VAT will be charged at 5% so you may be able to reclaim that as you are resident overseas. It will also be worth asking if your chosen site makes an "admin or service charge" for the electricity meter, if they do then that could also include a 20% VAT charge.
Good luck with your search, hopefully someone may be along soon and can give you more details, especially with regards to the specific sites.
Old 18-10-2017, 18:17
Supporting Member

Not all sites require a UK permanent address. The site we were on (not Gloucestershire though) have a couple who's main home is Holland.
Old 19-10-2017, 07:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traction View Post
Hi Alhan

welcome to the forum. I don't know the area so I can't give you any details to those specific sites unfortunately. You would need to ask if they allow "bring ons", and if they do then what are the charges. Many sites don't allow them and if they do the charges for taking your own van onto site can be very costly.
As a rule, you would need to show a UK residence as they need to be able to prove that you aren't going to live in the caravan permanently and that you are paying council tax at a permanent UK residence. However, you could always ring the site and ask them if that would suffice, if you don't ask then you don't get! It's better to get that sorted before you pay over any hard earned cash.
The prices listed and the site fees usually do include VAT, but again it's better to ask the site specifically as they may not be VAT registered if they have a turnover of under 85k, but it's highly likely that they will be VAT registered.
Also, you will need to think about the non business rates, ask how much they are as they aren't always included in the site fees and need to be paid separately. If on your chosen site you have a private electricity meter then VAT will be charged at 5% so you may be able to reclaim that as you are resident overseas. It will also be worth asking if your chosen site makes an "admin or service charge" for the electricity meter, if they do then that could also include a 20% VAT charge.
Good luck with your search, hopefully someone may be along soon and can give you more details, especially with regards to the specific sites.
Hi Trish, You don't need to be a UK resident and you don't need to pay Council tax. What you would need is to provide proof of paying your appropriate rates in your country of residence. Basically, that's all you need. Your rates bill or equivalent will have your home address noted on the bill.
Old 19-10-2017, 12:00

Hello and welcome.
It is unlikely that you will be able to buy a caravan and move it on to the Parks you are looking at - although I do not know the area, a quick internet search suggests that they are all carrying out some development and siting holiday lodges and park-home type statics, so they would be unlikely to allow a cheap caravan on when they have more expensive models to be sold.
The area you are looking at is not a particularly cheap area, and the things that do worry me are where you first say that you want to buy a cheap van, and then say that you cannot visit until you can get the money together in about three months.
I am probably speaking out of turn here - sorry - but are you sure that financially buying a static caravan is the right way to go for your visits? There are ongoing costs, and remember that the pitch fee is unlikely to remain the same, it will almost certainly go up each year. Have you investigated what you could rent to stay in when you visit?
If you do go ahead, it will all depend on the Park what they think is necessary to prove a permanent address elsewhere, but many are now targetting people who live overseas and want a UK base, so most parks are geared to recognise proof of residency outside of the UK, that should not present any problems at all.
Old 19-10-2017, 15:30

I initially looked at Sunset View and Little Meadows owned by Holland Parks. They had several holiday homes for sale, and the site fees were reasonable. However, the website was out of date, and now they only have one for sale at 30,000. The site fees at Oakmere are 3,000 plus which is too much. Therefore, I am rethinking everything. If I don''t buy one, then the money I get for my business will leave us debt free including our house, a much more sensible way to go I feel. Yes, I think I will look to rent, or spread myself around my friends so I don't have to stay too long with each one. Thanks for the advice guys. Maybe a van is in my future, but I don't think now.