Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Owning A Caravan > Insurance

Insurance Discussion about all issues related to static caravan insurance, from which insurer to how best to make a claim.

Old 27-01-2019, 21:48

Default Beware ! Towergate insurance renewal

Hi all , just got my Leisure home renewal notice through from Towergate . Not only do they want £260 as opposed to £219 last year but as I'm reading through the documentation it seems that the insurer in changing from Allianz to AIG and also now doesn't cover 'When the home is unoccupied, escape of water or oil, frost damage to plumbing installations, loss of metered water, domestic heating oil, LPG and garden cover is not covered' . No mention of what unoccupied means in terms of length of time , drain down of water etc . Has anyone else noticed this on their renewal or queried it when renewing ? I am on a 12 month site and do draindown using a Floe unit and leave CH on frost setting when we're not there so feel reasonably safe but how many others may get caught out ? Does anyone have a new policy booklet that may clarify any of my concerns ? Steve

Last edited by bishboy; 27-01-2019 at 21:58.

Old 27-01-2019, 22:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishboy View Post
Hi all , just got my Leisure home renewal notice through from Towergate . Not only do they want £260 as opposed to £219 last year but as I'm reading through the documentation it seems that the insurer in changing from Allianz to AIG and also now doesn't cover 'When the home is unoccupied, escape of water or oil, frost damage to plumbing installations, loss of metered water, domestic heating oil, LPG and garden cover is not covered' . No mention of what unoccupied means in terms of length of time , drain down of water etc . Has anyone else noticed this on their renewal or queried it when renewing ? I am on a 12 month site and do draindown using a Floe unit and leave CH on frost setting when we're not there so feel reasonably safe but how many others may get caught out ? Does anyone have a new policy booklet that may clarify any of my concerns ? Steve

Sounds rediculuos !! All insurance policies say " please check this policy suites your requirements " clearly this does not ?

Call them and ask them ..."what do they actually cover ?"
Old 27-01-2019, 22:23

I read it twice to understand it , basically itís saying when your not there itís not covering you for water damage , frost damage and outdoor equipment . I have no idea if mine states the same or not , iím with leisure days but when I am not at the van I do turn off the water and drain down in the colder months and if someone nicked the table and chairs that I leave on decking I wouldnít claim for them so I donít think this clause would bother me . Even though our site is a12 month site we still as part of our insurance have to drain down between nov and mid March.
Thinking about it again , I would want my van covered for water damage if iím not there just in case I forgot to turn the water off ... I will have to check mine now.
Old 28-01-2019, 07:28

Have they sent you a holiday insurance or a residential insurance?
Unoccupied normally means "not lived in by you or any member of your family" and is a clause in most residential policies.
There is then normally a section telling you what will not be covered if the home is "unoccupied" for more than x number of consecutive days (30 or 60, usually).

As a holiday static is designed to be left unoccupied at regular intervals, simply stating "unoccupied" without clarifying what you are expected to do prior to leaving it for how long sounds as if the wrong policy has been sent to you, or the underwriter is not used to statics (you would not believe some of the clauses I have seen in residential park home cover from some underwriters).
Old 28-01-2019, 08:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhb View Post
Have they sent you a holiday insurance or a residential insurance?
Unoccupied normally means "not lived in by you or any member of your family" and is a clause in most residential policies.
There is then normally a section telling you what will not be covered if the home is "unoccupied" for more than x number of consecutive days (30 or 60, usually).

As a holiday static is designed to be left unoccupied at regular intervals, simply stating "unoccupied" without clarifying what you are expected to do prior to leaving it for how long sounds as if the wrong policy has been sent to you, or the underwriter is not used to statics (you would not believe some of the clauses I have seen in residential park home cover from some underwriters).
I have to agree ALL insurance policies are written in a way that comes down to personal interpretation of a Claus.....So what "we" see in not necessarily what the insurance company or a solicitor actually means..

It has been discussed many times on this forum...You only find out how good an insurance company is .......When to come to claim ..!
Old 28-01-2019, 09:28
Supporting Member

I got my insurance with Naco, and they were very good at what was included,

I'm insured for £26,000, Flood Cover, and £3000 Contents i think it costs around £13 a month

https://www.nacoservices.com/

You can do a quote online and you get discount if your a Naco Member (10% i think?)
Old 28-01-2019, 10:00
Supporting Member

This starts to sound like a renewal price hike 1st of all. So it may be time to shop around, if you would prefer to stay with them then it could well be worth the price of a phone call. Tell them your concerns and see what they say... You never know until you try.
Old 28-01-2019, 12:46

We've had one underwriter telling us that if we were away in winter we had to leave the loft hatch open with the heating on to save the cold water tank freezing.
Suspect that they had not carried out much research into the structure of Park Homes...
Old 28-01-2019, 12:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishboy View Post
I've just read my policy schedule and document from Towergate. It covers flood damage rtf if the normal procedures are carried out between the specified dates. It doesn't cover frost damage, but, there shouldn't be any if the procedures have been carried out. This is an AIG policy from July. Much the same wording as my Leisuredsys policy was.
Old 28-01-2019, 19:47

I had 3 quotes within last few months but after asking each company about vermin cover, there was only my existing company that insured up to the full structure and that was Leisuredays.
Towergate No cover, and Naco up to £1000.
Nobody would insure my outside furniture, and stipulated static to be drained during the winter months.
Daft thing is as Martin Lewis suggests, cancel existing cover, and start another new policy, did that and saved myself £60 and increased my cover.

Last edited by sparkrace22; 28-01-2019 at 19:51.