Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > Marketplace > Static Caravan Wanted

Static Caravan Wanted Are you looking to buy a satic caravan? Why not tell us?

Old 20-09-2018, 13:39

Default Caravan on a very small quiet rural site wanted/Any advice appreciated.

After staying with a friend in her static caravan and talking to others I am completely hooked. I'm now looking for a second hand static caravan on a very small quiet site in a rural or coastal setting. Essex, Suffolk, Norfolk, or any southern county that's reachable from East Sussex would be good. Preferably open for 10/11 months but for the right caravan on the right site I'm open to possibilities. Struggling to find the right site so any help gratefully received. Thank you.

Old 20-09-2018, 19:21

Do a google search for sites in the areas that you are interested in. Look at the site fees and the distance from you home. Arrange to visit those that appeal and talk to the other owners on site. If you like the site and area, then look at what caravans are for sale or wait for the right one to come up for sale. Good luck. Very exciting times ahead.
Old 20-09-2018, 22:25

Thank you Maisie and Mr B. i tried Google searching and it's pretty bewildering/hard to judge online. I think your idea of visiting the sites that look interesting, deciding and then waiting for one to come up is a good idea. It will take legwork! Much appreciated.
Old 21-09-2018, 07:32

Go to a caravan dealer who supplies these areas , they will have a list of the sites they supply to , give them your criteria and they should be able to pinpoint a few . Itís a big area your looking at so might be worth having days out here and there and see which area feels right for you , if your on the coast then the site fees will be more expensive . We used to pick around 4 sites of the internet to go and visit and whilst driving around we would pass others and drive on and have a look around , they were good days out. Once you have an idea of the area you want use google Earth to scour the area for van roofs , then if you go to street view you can usually see the name of the site , then add it to your must visit list. Take your time to find the right one , ours took a couple of years.
Old 21-09-2018, 12:07

Thank you slattster. This is really helpful. A way of breaking down a rather daunting task into fun and manageable chunks. Great idea to just bite the bulket, select four sites and then take a day out. I wouldn't have thought about driving around other parks on spec nor talking to a caravan dealer, so your ideas are much appreciated. Google Earth is helpful and has helped me to find one site that looks quiet, but I need to compare with others. I have been looking at https://www.caravansitefinder.co.uk for sites. Is this the best one do you know? Many thanks. R
Old 21-09-2018, 12:13

Dear Slattster PS - very helpful too to know how long your search took. I was looking for a quick fix as I'm working long hours and wanted this 'tick, done' asap, which is unrealistic. This reality check has also helped a lot!
Old 23-09-2018, 20:38

Forgot to say, try Salop Caravans for their very useful brochure on sites (staff also very helpful) and also Roy Kellett Caravans has a fab website with information on sites and includes site fees, size of site, amenities etc. Enjoy your visits to the sites. Build in time for lunch and coffee and to make notes about each site before it all becomes a muddle. Any you do like, go back and have a second and even third look before taking the plunge.
Old 23-09-2018, 20:41

Oh daft me. Should have reread your original enquiry about areas. Ignore the info about dealers above as relates to Wales, Shropshire etc. However the dealers in the areas that you are interested in should offer a similar service.
Old 23-09-2018, 23:38

Hello RaspberryEm. Sorry I can't help you regarding sites as I don't know that area. Maybe this part of the year isn't a good time to go for trips out to search. I suspect many of the smaller sites will be coming towards close down until next season and there will be few van owners around to talk to. I am not a very patient "waiter" and once we decided to look for a static I just got stuck in and spent a week on the internet. E mailed or phoned every site that looked a possibility within 2 hours drive of home (we live in the middle so many choices). My efforts produced hardly any response as most had answering machines on, and e mails went unanswered. I only had replies from 3 sites and the owners/managers were extremely helpful and understanding.
As it happened all 3 were in a small area and 2 were ending their season. But managers were still available and invited me make further contact with more questions.

I exchanged several e mails with the 3rd one and then some evening phone conversations by prior arrangement as the owner was actually doing building work on the site during the daytime.
He answered loads of my questions and invited us to visit for a chat without any obligation. He spent 2 hours with us. There was nobody else on site - staff or van owners. He chatted through our particular wants and needs and then showed us all around the site. The pitch work he was doing, different sorts of pitches and areas. We soon realised that todays static caravans are very different to those we had holidayed in years ago. Now with mains drainage and electricity, gas central heating and patios and balconies. We looked inside 2 vans just for comparison ..................and decided to buy one of them! He asked us to look elsewhere and compare first and then phone him back. We didn't look elsewhere, just phoned him a couple of days later. 1 week after that we went to sign up and pay up..........and soon after stayed overnight in our van in late November. No other van owners there but we knew that the owner and warden lived on-site and were just a mobile phone call away if needed. 6 years later we are just as happy as we were that first day. But having since found this forum we realise just how fortunate we were because there were so many things we didn't know about and multitudes of mistakes we could have made. Having made the decision to try to buy a static we wanted to do it as quickly as possible - and within our means. Age wasn't on our side. For us it wasn't practical to go out travelling around for a day at a time searching over several months. It was more a "now or never" decision. We had a short list of things that we thought were essential in a location and another of things that would be preferable and our budget to buy and equip the van, and ongoing yearly costs.
All the best with your search. Hope you find the right van and site for you without too much stress.
Old 24-09-2018, 16:07

We allowed three years to find the right site and pitch and van. It took less but I would rather it had taken that long than make a very expensive mistake. We looked seriously at four sites and once we decided on which one it took six months for one we wanted to be available. It would have been so easy to compromise and get in earlier but I am glad we waited

Good friends are hard to find, difficult to leave and impossible to forget.