Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > The Lounge > General Discussion

General Discussion General non-caravan related discussion

Old 08-11-2018, 16:40
Supporting Member

Default DOH, Forgot to turn the Heating down !

Oh well i guess it was due to happen, I packed up yesterday and was half way home when i had to turn back and turn the heating down to the frost setting.

I thought about others doing the same, Family members or renters. Then i saw these WiFi Thermostats on Amazon that you can control via an app. Since my wifi is on all the time at the caravan i'm looking at getting one of these to install

I'm thinking also when others have been there i will be able to keep track and make sure heating is off remotely when i'm not there?

The thermostat i have is a wired 3 wire and earth so i'm sure the basics to wire it up is the same, You have a Permanent Live, A Load Live and a neutral, Plus the earth. Will ask the site electrician first to see if its ok to just swop them over.

Anyone else have one of these in their Caravan ? I'm surprised at the price also its only 33.99 from amazon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B076BNCY...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Plus when i'm going there i can turn up the heating from the frost setting to a nice toasty 20 degrees before i get there

Old 09-11-2018, 12:38

I have one of these more expensive but the thermostat part of it is wireless so you can put it in the bedroom at night. Internet control means I can turn on the heating at home so caravans nice and warm when I arrive, or turn it off if I forget when leaving. You need your own internet router at the caravan as it has to be wired into a network port.

Last edited by Sea View; 09-11-2018 at 12:41.
Old 09-11-2018, 13:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry1964 View Post
Oh well i guess it was due to happen, I packed up yesterday and was half way home when i had to turn back and turn the heating down to the frost setting.

I thought about others doing the same, Family members or renters. Then i saw these WiFi Thermostats on Amazon that you can control via an app. Since my wifi is on all the time at the caravan i'm looking at getting one of these to install

I'm thinking also when others have been there i will be able to keep track and make sure heating is off remotely when i'm not there?

The thermostat i have is a wired 3 wire and earth so i'm sure the basics to wire it up is the same, You have a Permanent Live, A Load Live and a neutral, Plus the earth. Will ask the site electrician first to see if its ok to just swop them over.

Anyone else have one of these in their Caravan ? I'm surprised at the price also its only 33.99 from amazon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B076BNCYPN

Plus when i'm going there i can turn up the heating from the frost setting to a nice toasty 20 degrees before i get there
Looks like a bargain. It could be a good investment.
Old 09-11-2018, 13:30
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosquito View Post
Looks like a bargain. It could be a good investment.
The other thing is you can regulate and set the Thermostat to the max temperature, so you know if you do rent yours out, no one will simply put the heating on full just for the sake of it.

If it saves enough gas not to have to buy an additional gas bottle then its more or less paid for itself.

Mind you there's nothing worse than getting half way home and thinking did i leave the heating on or off ??

Old 09-11-2018, 14:10
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea View View Post
I have one of these more expensive but the thermostat part of it is wireless so you can put it in the bedroom at night.
That looks a decent piece of kit Sea View, I went for a Wall fixed one as hopefully i may rent my caravan out to friends and Family later, I have thermostatic Radiator valves on all the radiators so i don't need to move the sat into the bedroom at night.

Can't wait till it turns up, I will speak with the Electrician at work but i've been told its pretty easy to connect.
Old 10-11-2018, 13:43

We had a digital thermometer fitted when the van arrived. It took the gas safe fitter about 5 minutes to fit.
Old 10-11-2018, 16:42
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosquito View Post
We had a digital thermometer fitted when the van arrived. It took the gas safe fitter about 5 minutes to fit.
Yeah its not hard, The old manual Dial ones have 3 wires a Live, A switched live and a Neutral, apparently the older manual ones need a neutral to get the temperature ?? But the newer digital ones have just 2 wires a Perm Live and a Switched live. Normally the neutral is taped up and not connected.

You don't need to get a gas safe engineer as its not doing nothing with Gas, The electrician at work told me that if you can wire up a 3 pin plug you can change the thermostat, Just make sure the power is off and you go by the wiring diagram, of course you should never attempt to do this unless your confident to do so. If in doubt get a sparkie in a five minute job won't be much if he's on the site.

I'll be doing mine on Tuesday when i get to the van after working all weekend and i'll post it on here step by step
Old 10-11-2018, 19:47
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry1964 View Post

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B076BNCY...v_ov_lig_dp_it

hi, good post, so you say your wifi is on all the time at your van, i take it it is your own personal wifi set up, not the sire wifi ? i was under the impression that you needed a cat5 connection to the router to control ? or have you logger the controller to the site wifi ? i know people that would be interested in this or similar, i have my own MIFI devise and so connect my hive heating controller to that, but if there is a way to control heating without having your own wifi that would be great, please advise, thanks
mark
Old 10-11-2018, 21:30
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionblue22 View Post
hi, good post, so you say your wifi is on all the time at your van, i take it it is your own personal wifi set up, not the sire wifi ? i was under the impression that you needed a cat5 connection to the router to control ? or have you logger the controller to the site wifi ? i know people that would be interested in this or similar, i have my own MIFI devise and so connect my hive heating controller to that, but if there is a way to control heating without having your own wifi that would be great, please advise, thanks
mark
Mark, I had a spare sim with 20GB of data on w2hich i used in an old unlocked EE dongle, But it had to be plugged into a USB port and got a bit too hot for my liking.

So i bought a wireless 4g Router off amazon, so i can keep it plugged into the mains and use it when i'm there for my laptop, Now TV and Netlix, not to mention my new Thermostat

When i'm down the van next week i'll post on here how i set it all up.

The Sites internet is very slow, and only guarantees you 512kb, I'd be waiting a full weekend to download a film

Heres the little beauty on amazon
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B015E3MKSW/

The great thing about this Hub is that you can attach a 4g external Aerial should your network signal not be that great but it pays to check what network works better on your site and use a data sim card from that network. Plus if you buy a hub like this, make sure its unlocked, so you'll be able to use any network sim card.

Hope that makes sense

Last edited by Gerry1964; 10-11-2018 at 21:34.
Old 10-11-2018, 22:40
Supporting Member

ok, i see same sort of set up as i have, own router to get online, i find netflix uses a lot of data, and so i download at home, put onto a usb stick and watch through that, then if we really want to watch a film use the fire stick for that, but tend to not connect that to save data.
there are only really 4 service providers, and all the others piggy back off them, i have ee or bt as same 4g LTE supplier 30GB for 23 a month as i have my home fibre broadband through them so 5 a month saving, 3 do a 40gb card but i don't think the signal on 3 that good on my site,

anyway, just to confirm, caravans would need their own wifi, or MIFI and a 4g sim card to enable this thermostat to work, not all bad, you can get a hub at a reasonable cost of amazon, but make sure it has unlocked to any network, and also cat5 plug in capacity, as not all have, then you can get a data card for 14.50 from ee for 2gb a month that lasts 3 months this will easily run your heating controller, and allow you to check and adjust temperature, my wife says it is soooo much better to arrive with the van warmed up, and i like to see what the temperature is doing several times a day, in the summer when we were not at the van i recorded a temperature of 38 degrees inside the van, and so far this year its been down to 8 degrees, so not quite hit the 7degree frost setting yet, its 9.6 degrees at the moment, we are not there at the moment, going monday or wednesday, not sure just yet, thanks for the info Gerry,