Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > Marketplace > Static Caravan Wanted

Static Caravan Wanted Are you looking to buy a satic caravan? Why not tell us?

Old 13-05-2015, 19:14

Default Looking to Buy - Lancs, North Wales or Cumbria

Hi there,

I have posted on this site before but I was living in Spain then...hence the name. I am now back in the UK but as yet don't have a car, I have ordered one, just waiting for delivery. Looking to buy a (first time) van, no more than a 2 hour drive from Blackpool, other considerations:
  • Site MUST accept Dogs
  • Preferably LOW site fees.
  • Facilities not important but site MUST be within walking distance of a pub
    • Adults only would be nice, don't want to have to put up with other peoples kids/grandkids.......sorry!!!!

I have done a lot of research generally about buying a van and haven't always been happy at what I have read. The depreciation is "worrying" and the sharp practices employed by some sites/salesman border on the criminal but I am willing to give it a go.

ANY IDEAS OR SUGGESTIONS?

Thanks in advance.

Old 13-05-2015, 19:33

Hey Almeriaman, welcome back to the sunny (or not so sunny) UK.
My van is in Durham so would probably be outside the 2hr drive for you.
Good luck with your search, hope you can find somewhere you like.
I would say find your site first, then look for a van on that site. have a budget in mind and stick to it. Along with the site fees I would look at how much the business rates are for your site, how much is charged for water, gas bottles and electricity as these also have to be paid each year.
Good luck with your car too, hope it arrives soon x
Old 13-05-2015, 19:41

Thank you Trish. I came back in my Spanish car but could re-register it.....long story. I've been told by the dealer it could take 3 months but I've been "carless" this long, I can wait a bit longer.

The 2 hours isn't set in stone. I am hoping to find a site that will let me stay for prolonged periods.....perhaps up to 3 months. I notice that some parks actually state a time limit on how long you can stay.....for instance 30 days.

I do have a budget.....10,000 and for a first time purchase don't really want to go over it.

Almeriaman
Old 13-05-2015, 19:49
Supporting Member

i'm sure you'll find something within your range and wish list...
good luck and happy hunting...
do your homework, don't rush in, ask any questions on here first, if you can and someone usually comes along to help..
I would say buy on a smaller park..
I also would say that I like your criteria too! low site fees, must accept dogs, a pub within walking distance, but the other one I cant comment on as i'm going to be a grandparent within the next few weeks so my park will have to accept 'little 'uns'
x

NEVER REGRET ANYTHING THAT MADE YOU SMILE
Old 13-05-2015, 19:53
Supporting Member

ive just suggested to another poster that maybe you have a few days 'holiday' on a site first to get the feel of the place..
x

NEVER REGRET ANYTHING THAT MADE YOU SMILE
Old 13-05-2015, 20:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmeriaMan View Post
Thank you Trish. I came back in my Spanish car but could re-register it.....long story. I've been told by the dealer it could take 3 months but I've been "carless" this long, I can wait a bit longer.

The 2 hours isn't set in stone. I am hoping to find a site that will let me stay for prolonged periods.....perhaps up to 3 months. I notice that some parks actually state a time limit on how long you can stay.....for instance 30 days.

I do have a budget.....10,000 and for a first time purchase don't really want to go over it.

Almeriaman
We are on Sockenber Caravan park Kings Meaburn near Appleby, One was for sale I think @ 8k, there are a few kids but not many and nice and peaceful, Google Sockenber caravan park.

Last edited by Welly; 14-05-2015 at 06:04.
Old 13-05-2015, 21:13

Capernwray.
There are three main sites, Old Hall is probably the one with least children followed by The Glade/Castle View. New England has a pool and kids.
50 mins from Blackpool - its a half hour walk to the Eagle (pub) though.
Old 15-05-2015, 13:30

Thanks to everyone who replied, to update you:

Sockenber told me they have no vans for sale. Old Hall do have vans for sale and it looks promising but their web site states that second hand vans are sold with the remainder of the original 10 year lease, yet they are selling vans which are up to 12-13 years old.

When I pointed this out they said that vans over 10 years old have the lease renewed each year, so you never get mor than a 1 year lease.......is this normal?

I would be worried that they would take my money and then after a year tell me to remove my van......or am I being silly?
Old 15-05-2015, 14:59

Quote:
Thanks to everyone who replied, to update you:

Sockenber told me they have no vans for sale. Old Hall do have vans for sale and it looks promising but their web site states that second hand vans are sold with the remainder of the original 10 year lease, yet they are selling vans which are up to 12-13 years old.

When I pointed this out they said that vans over 10 years old have the lease renewed each year, so you never get mor than a 1 year lease.......is this normal?

I would be worried that they would take my money and then after a year tell me to remove my van......or am I being silly?
Alan must of sold it at last, the one up from us was for sale last year and into this year.
Thanks
Welly
Old 15-05-2015, 19:42

Quote:
Old Hall do have vans for sale and it looks promising but their web site states that second hand vans are sold with the remainder of the original 10 year lease, yet they are selling vans which are up to 12-13 years old.

For Old Hall, yes - their stipulation is that the van must look in keeping with the site and be neat and presentable. We used to be on there but moved. New England are a lot more relaxed about the age of vans (or were a year or two back) as are Castle View - but then you have the exponential rise of children - that said, there are not loads at Castle View.