Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > Marketplace > Static Caravan Wanted

Static Caravan Wanted Are you looking to buy a satic caravan? Why not tell us?

Old 06-12-2015, 10:11

Smile I/We are still looking and still LURKING

Hi again,

We are still looking for that ideal site and did think we had found it but once again something was said that put us off. The site in question suggested that we couldn't stay there for long periods of time i.e. the whole summer. My reasoning was if we had purchased the van, then surely we want to get as much out of it as we can? However, the site owner saw it differently and suggested that we would be living there....which we weren't.

Also, for first time (elderly) purchasers what would you consider to be a fair budget? Nobody knows what the future holds, should we buy new and not worry, or should we be more cautious.

We accept that essentially whatever money we spend on purchasing a van is essentially lost and that doesn't bother us.

ADVICE PLEASE.

Old 06-12-2015, 17:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmeriaMan View Post
Hi again,

We are still looking for that ideal site and did think we had found it but once again something was said that put us off. The site in question suggested that we couldn't stay there for long periods of time i.e. the whole summer. My reasoning was if we had purchased the van, then surely we want to get as much out of it as we can? However, the site owner saw it differently and suggested that we would be living there....which we weren't.

Also, for first time (elderly) purchasers what would you consider to be a fair budget? Nobody knows what the future holds, should we buy new and not worry, or should we be more cautious.

We accept that essentially whatever money we spend on purchasing a van is essentially lost and that doesn't bother us.

ADVICE PLEASE.
Myself personally I wouldn't buy new.....for me I would definitely buy a high spec van a few years old, and make sure you get everything in writing from the site...even little assurances they give you, make sure you are happy with everything your told.
Old 06-12-2015, 18:15
Departed Friend

i agree with dianne.as for the not staying for the whole summer,many site licences are granted with the proviso that owners can only stay a maximum of 28 days at any one time.
at least the site didn,t give you the false impression that you could stay for months at a time,just so that they could get a sale.
Old 06-12-2015, 20:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick1950 View Post
i agree with dianne.as for the not staying for the whole summer,many site licences are granted with the proviso that owners can only stay a maximum of 28 days at any one time.
at least the site didn,t give you the false impression that you could stay for months at a time,just so that they could get a sale.
We have a 3 week maximum but we have a couple from Tenerife that stay from April to September!
Old 06-12-2015, 20:28
Supporting Member

We have a couple on our site that stay most of the season and their main home is abroad.

ML.
Old 06-12-2015, 23:46

I would walk away from any site that stipulates anything other than you can spend any amount of time during open season at your van.....as long as you can prove its not your permanent home.

It's your choice how much or little time you spend at your van, you pay your fees and should be able to stay the whole season if you want.
Old 07-12-2015, 06:23

I must admit that the 28 day rule did put us off. It seems that sites want it both ways, they want you to invest money in a caravan but then say "ah but you can't use it as you wish" and I find that slightly disturbing.

I know that some of you will spring to the sites defence and say that rules are rules but it seems a silly rule to me. Particularly when we all know that some rules only apply to some owners.

I was interested in the reply that suggested we purchase a high spec used van.......could I ask why you think that?

My reasons for also looking at a low spec new van are simply that....IT'S NEW. I do have issues with somewhere I live being used by someone else, which is why I could never let......silly, I know.
Old 07-12-2015, 08:19
Departed Friend

if you buy a high sbec used van,it should still be far cheaper than a low sbec new van.then if things don,t work out you won,t lose so much.hopefully things will go ok,and you can then upgrade.as for subletting,i agree with you.........i wouldn,t want strangers using our van.
Old 07-12-2015, 09:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmeriaMan View Post
I must admit that the 28 day rule did put us off. It seems that sites want it both ways, they want you to invest money in a caravan but then say "ah but you can't use it as you wish" and I find that slightly disturbing.

I know that some of you will spring to the sites defence and say that rules are rules but it seems a silly rule to me. Particularly when we all know that some rules only apply to some owners.

I was interested in the reply that suggested we purchase a high spec used van.......could I ask why you think that?

My reasons for also looking at a low spec new van are simply that....IT'S NEW. I do have issues with somewhere I live being used by someone else, which is why I could never let......silly, I know.
Also something to think about, if the site allows sub letting - EVEN IF YOU DONT WANT TO LET YOUR PRIDE AND JOY OUT - your neighbour might not be so fussy, and you could end up with 'tenants' next door who's total investment in the site is a weekends rent-
Old 07-12-2015, 10:24
Supporting Member

I think you will find that while "rules may be rules", they do vary and it's worth investing time to ensure that you get what you want. The right van on the right park will be achievable.
Our park for example, does not allow renting out of caravans. That was important to us.
They open 1st March and close mid November. Within the time the park is open, we can use OUR van as long and as often as we wish. I too would be amazed if it were otherwise.
When we bought earlier this year, we had to produce copies of council tax and utility bills from home, so the park managers know we don't live on the site.
As for buying new or used, that's a personal preference thing. Like you, a new van appealed as we were the only people to use it and we bought knowing static caravans are in no way a financial investment, so we won't end up disappointed.
Having said that, we have looked at some lovely, clean "previously owned" statics and I wouldn't have ruled them out 100 %.
Sounds silly I know, but on our final visit of the season, and thinking about rules, I asked if it was OK to call in to check our caravan at any time during the winter closed period. That was met with a smile and I was told
" It's your van, of course you can ".