Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > The Lounge > Introduction

Introduction Why not take a moment to introduce yourself.

Old 04-02-2018, 21:26

The main bedroom are standard size , could be double or king size , itís the twin beds .... affectionately known as fish finger beds that are different to singles at home

Old 04-02-2018, 23:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateF View Post
Any idea where to look. Think caravan mattress sizes are slightly different to household ones.
I suggest you let the mattresses settle down a bit before you decide what to do. If the van has been moved about and beds not used the mattresses might have been standing on end etc. If you decide to replace mattresses you really need to check exact size required. Main bed will probably be a standard size double or king size mattress that you could buy anywhere but the originals tend to be shallower in depth. Replacing the mattresses on the twins needs careful measurement as they vary a lot. We joined our twin beds together and bought a double mattress which we had made with shorter length of 6ft because of fixed wardrobe restricting length. What we didn't allow for was the extra thickness of the mattress and it is a very tight fit because it doesn't tuck under the fixed headboard like the originals. Also if you buy a pocket spring mattress it will probably be quite heavy and rigid - so you need to be cautious if you have to turn a tight corner to get it into the bedroom. We struggled to get ours in from the narrow passageway.
Old 16-02-2018, 23:45

Mattresses are made in our town so I got a 4 foot one. We have a Pemberton sovreign , which are wheelchair accessible and I needed a bed bigger than a three foot, so our joiner put a piece of 4 feet wide mdf on it and I got a firm mattress.
I hadnt bargained for just how firm it is!
Soft ones aren’t any good for me though.
Old 17-02-2018, 00:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by LissaLyon View Post
Mattresses are made in our town so I got a 4 foot one. We have a Pemberton sovreign , which are wheelchair accessible and I needed a bed bigger than a three foot, so our joiner put a piece of 4 feet wide mdf on it and I got a firm mattress.
I hadnt bargained for just how firm it is!
Soft ones arenít any good for me though.
We too live in a town (W.Yorks) where mattresses are made in abundance and its great to be able to get them made up in whatever odd size you need and be able to see what you are buying. We had to transport ours to our static in the Lakes though because they didn't deliver direct from the factory to that area. Fortunately had 7 seater car at time so no problem getting 4ft wide in - but when we got to site it had shifted and was jammed in - took 3 men to get it out.
Old 17-02-2018, 00:19

Lol..bet that was hilarious
Old 17-02-2018, 16:52

Quote:
Mattress is on a firm base.
It lifts up for under bed storage.
Nice mattress but bit too soft for us.
Think would like something like memory foam but not rock solid!!!!
We've got memory foam (Willerby Aspen van, so probably the same type of bed as yours), and it's OK for us. It was installed by the previous owner and we just kept it. If you google "memory foam cut to size" you'll find lots of dealers (some quite good prices too). One word of advice though, be sure memory foam suits you, it's not everyones preference. I notice the difference from home where we've got a deep sprung mattress with memory foam top, but after the 1st night I soon get back in the swing. Good luck, enjoy your van.
ps
Old 18-02-2018, 14:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by slattster View Post
The main bedroom are standard size , could be double or king size , itís the twin beds .... affectionately known as fish finger beds that are different to singles at home
That's not always the case sometimes they are 6" shorter. Ours is a Kingsize and seems shorter than it should be, although it is long enough for us.
Old 18-02-2018, 16:08
Supporting Member

We have a Willerby van as well and we eventually worked out the double bed was in fact double bed length but king size width when compared to “home beds” . As to the singles, well, there are different widths and different lengths so it is very much a tape measure job every time but there are firms out there that do mattress made to measure.
Old 18-02-2018, 20:28

Thanks everyone.
It’s a king size width but think it’s a tad shorter in length.
Memory foam good thought but don’t know if they do different sort of ‘softness’.
Don’t want something rock hard but then again nothing too soft.
( princess and the pea comes to mind!!).
Any recommendations for firms that do made to measure.
Old 19-02-2018, 14:31
Supporting Member

Quote:
Thanks everyone.
Itís a king size width but think itís a tad shorter in length.
Memory foam good thought but donít know if they do different sort of Ďsoftnessí.
Donít want something rock hard but then again nothing too soft.
( princess and the pea comes to mind!!).
Any recommendations for firms that do made to measure.

Now you've got me Googling