Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > The Lounge > Introduction

Introduction Why not take a moment to introduce yourself.

Old 17-09-2014, 08:37

Default Touring to Static...

Hello.
We have been camping and caravaning all our natural lives - both my wife and from an early age, we both grew up with camping through the Scout and Guide movement, caravaning with our families and then when married camping, trailer tenting and finally caravanning. Our first child went away with us in a tent one March when he was just 16 weeks old...

We set off to find a new touring caravan a few months ago, the present one is getting too small for us and we really have struggled to find something suitable. Because I work shifts we keep the van sited about a 45 minute drive from home in the North West and nicely located to be 30 mins from Bowness and 30 mins from Kirkby Lonsdale, that way the family can use it when I am working unsociable hours without having to worry about pitching it, leveling it and putting the awning up.

Very recently our minds turned to a static, which Ive always been reluctant to own on the grounds that we would be "stuck in one place" (this from the bloke who has had his touring van sited in the same place for the last 5 years...) and discussed the option of finding a used van to place on the site we are currently at, anyway to cut a long story short we were offered such a good deal we have purchased an ABI Summer Breeze 3 bedroom (sleeps 8) with winter pack. I know its a basic van as statics go but we will soon upgrade the internal fittings. My main priority will be getting underneath once sited and insulating the pipework ready for winter use.

(one of these, but not this actual van)

We are no strangers to statics, we holiday out of our normal area usually in a static on a holiday park, but its going to be interesting living with one full time. Im a little surprised that they (the ABI) only comes with a 12 month warranty which compared with a tourer is very very short and dont seem to be able to find if that covers water ingress as well as just other items like the boiler going FUBAR in the first year.

So, eagerly awaiting delivery, a list of small jobs that I want to do (auto gas changeover, TV points in the kids bedrooms, insulating the pipework underneath etc) and a whole new world of adventure.

Still have my tent though for weekends in the wilds

Hello, from MicraShed et-al.

Old 17-09-2014, 09:00

Morning MicraShed welcome to the forum hope you will be happy with your new van we upgraded 2 weeks ago i just started lagging the pipes under the van last weekend there are lots of jobs to keep you going when you start.
Old 17-09-2014, 12:04
Departed Friend

hello and welcome to our world.the fun starts now.
Old 20-09-2014, 08:40

aboard .nice little van .i hired one of those a few years ago in cardigan bay

http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/y...dy/caravan.jpg
Old 20-09-2014, 11:46

and look forward to hearing how you get on!
Old 20-09-2014, 14:58

to the form, sounds like you're going to be busy. It will all be worth though when it's done. Can't wait to hear about your adventures and how they compare
Old 20-09-2014, 16:35

Good grief and that exclamation was nothing to do with your change over its sheer jaw dropping at your enthusiasm for starting those jobs. Please come and rub shoulders with Mr AB in the vague hope some of it could rub off onto him Hope you have many happy holidays in your new 2nd home.
Old 20-09-2014, 17:59

Hello and welcome to this friendly bunch!
Old 24-09-2014, 21:28

Many thanks.
Been buying bits for the new van from ikea today. Not sure if it will come with a regulator to connect the gas bottle to - can anyone advise what size to opt for? Presumably a 37mB/4Kg-hr type. I have a new unused 19kg bottle so I plan to empty that then swap to twin 47kg bottles on an auto changeover so that Mrs Micrashed doesnt have to faff with the gas bottles.
Also due to access ssues contemplating spray foam insulation for the underfloor - not sure if that is DIY-able though.
4 weeks to delivery
Old 25-09-2014, 15:26
Departed Friend

i think you,ll need to have the regulator installed by a gas safe engineer.he,ll do the annual gas check at the same time.