Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > The Lounge > General Discussion

General Discussion General non-caravan related discussion

Old 31-03-2019, 18:47

Default Room thermostat settings

I have just fitted a wifi thermostat to my van , for convenience of installation it is fitted 4 feet high in the main bedroom . It has 6 different settings , my question is what should it be set at temperature and time .we like it quite warm but not hot , any information would be greatly appreciated .when we are away from van I turn it off so boiler never comes on , just turn it on remotely 2 hours before arrival.

Old 31-03-2019, 19:22

My thermostat (located in lounge area) settings are:
Night 5 degrees.
Day 15 degrees, unless vacated - then revert to 5 degrees.
Evening 19 degrees, augmented to 20-21 degrees by electric fire.

G
Old 01-04-2019, 07:31

As Gram says it depends where you have sited the thermostat.....Most people move it from room to room...
Old 01-04-2019, 17:16
Supporting Member

If it’s a WiFi thermostat it should be movable so why not take advantage of that. Have it in the room you are in I.e. lounge during the day & bedroom overnight ( if you keep the heating on). I’d just say why not experiment and find what way it works the best for you.
Old 02-04-2019, 04:18
Supporting Member

My Wifi Thermostat is fixed to the wall, so i turn it up before i get there and the van is nice and toasty. 21-25 At night time i'll turn it right down to about 10 but still find it about 15 when i get up, so not at all bad.

When i'm not there it goes back to 5
Old 02-04-2019, 07:23
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry1964 View Post
My Wifi Thermostat is fixed to the wall, so i turn it up before i get there and the van is nice and toasty. 21-25 At night time i'll turn it right down to about 10 but still find it about 15 when i get up, so not at all bad.

When i'm not there it goes back to 5
If it works for you Gerry then that’s brilliant. We put ours on a freestanding stand and are still experimenting how to get the best out of it. We have a schedule set for when we are at the ‘van but are still refining what’s best for us. Like you though we set ours down to a setting of 5 degrees when we leave for home and kick it back to life as we are travelling there again next trip.
Old 02-04-2019, 09:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidjones24 View Post
I have just fitted a wifi thermostat to my van , for convenience of installation it is fitted 4 feet high in the main bedroom . It has 6 different settings , my question is what should it be set at temperature and time .we like it quite warm but not hot , any information would be greatly appreciated .when we are away from van I turn it off so boiler never comes on , just turn it on remotely 2 hours before arrival.
Obviously where you locate the thermostat and the temperature you set it at determines the temperature of that room..That does not necessarily mean every room is that temperature ?..
Old 02-04-2019, 12:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter.R View Post
Obviously where you locate the thermostat and the temperature you set it at determines the temperature of that room..That does not necessarily mean every room is that temperature ?..
Very true about not same temperature in every room....its just about experimenting,but the rad stat Where the thermostat is,has to be set to full..

Whilst experimenting I set the thermostat to 18 degree in bedroom,...The lounge went up to 24 degree,and that was without elect fire on...

It's down to individual preferences re heat...and cost to some..
Old 04-04-2019, 08:40

Our thermostat is moveable but we tend to leave it in the room where we spend most of our time in the lounge/kitchen/dining area. we set it to switch on the heating 30 minutes before we are due to arrive back at the van at 22 Degrees C. It's set at 5C when we don't need it or go to bed. It then switches on 30 minutes before we get up, again at 22 C. it works for us but everyone will have their own preferred temperature.

We aren't at the van in summer so the thermostat is set to the off position from May till September. Of course, if the weather warms up whilst we are at the van, we manually set it to the off position.

Last edited by Mosquito; 04-04-2019 at 08:44.
Old 05-04-2019, 19:30

My thermostat is not Wi-Fi but it is wireless, so I could move it around if I wished to.
However, I leave it in the lounge area where the TRVs are opened fully on both radiators.
The TRVs in the other rooms are set to a very low value so as not to needlessly heat these rooms when they are not being used.
Half to three-quarters of an hour before retiring the fan heater in the master bedroom is switched on and the ensuite door is opened. This raises the temperature to a comfortable level for going to bed.
I set the lounge thermostat to 5 degrees as we go to bed.
In the morning I get up and set the thermostat to 15 degrees and switch on the bedroom heater.
When we leave the 'van to go home, and there is no chance of frost, I switch off the electric and therefore the heating. We use the 'van March - December.
Upon returning to the static I switch the heating on and set the thermostat to 15 degrees or higher. It is surprising what a short time it takes to warm up the 'van.
The gas heating is very efficient when only a couple of radiators are set at full pelt.

There, that's the intimate details of my holiday home heating habits set before you all!

On my way home I set my house Wi-Fi Nest thermostat to resume the heating and hot water schedules - if I remember!

G