Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Owning A Caravan

Owning A Caravan Discussion about owning a caravan.

Old 08-05-2017, 17:17
Supporting Member

Default Ants in your pants.....

Well not quite....

We got to our van (2013 Swift Moselle 2 bedroom) on Friday and noticed 1 or 2 small ants around the fridge and in bedroom. This is extremely annoying as we honestly gut it when we leave every weekend, every surfaced wiped with dettol spray, I hoover top to bottom during the stay and just before we leave and mop all floors so can't understand why we have ants.

Can anyone suggest any tips to get rid as it gives me the boak!

Thanks as always

Old 08-05-2017, 17:52
Supporting Member

Hope you get that sorted to your satisfaction.
I'm no expert but worth a check under the van and treating any suspect areas with one of the many ant/insect powders or sprays, paying particular attention to the areas underneath floor vents and inlet/outlet pipes.
Good luck with it. That would "give me the boak" too 😬
Old 08-05-2017, 21:03

Be careful when using ant "killer" traps. They often work by having the ants take the poison back to their nest. In order to do this, they first have to attract the ants to the poison.
Somebody did this after seeing a few ants, put the poison down, which then attracted every ant in the area, and a few wandering ants turned into a procession of a few thousand - took over a week to stop....
Ants scout around - it is what they do - and unless there is something to attract them, the odd one or two won't turn in to a regular stream.
Old 08-05-2017, 22:28
Supporting Member

My sympathies. I detest ants. This year they were around early and have kept going. We had a touring van for a while when our kids were teens. Kept it in the garden on a concrete base. Went out to prepare if for the first trip of the year and it was walking with ants everywhere. Couldn't find anything attracting them but they marched like great armies. There used to be a very effective aerosol that you could spray around the edge of the carpet or under ledges etc. but haven't seen it for ages. Had to spray the tourer throughout and shut it up for a few days to clear them. Then a thorough vac and scrub and the windows wide open.

The route that they used to get into the tourer was very obvious as we could still see them marching. They came from the concrete base via the metal corner stays and then up through the only floor vent. Under the kitchen sink. So my suggestion to you is that you spray those sort of areas underneath the van if you can get to them. However, all the ant treatments around seem to warn against using them where there are children and pets so take care. As others have said, you can use the bait stations - but it takes an awful lot of willpower not to kill the ants that you see go in, come out again and would carry the bait to their pals in the nest.

Hopefully you won't get anymore. Maybe just came for a look around and you happened to arrive at the time. We had a few tiny ones in our static early this season. They seem to have disappeared again - hopefully !!!
Old 09-05-2017, 03:33
Supporting Member

Thanks for advice so far.

I have a 2 year old son and a labrador so not really able to use any powders etc.

Someone posted on another forum that ants hate smell of vinegar, any more truth to this?
Old 09-05-2017, 08:51
Supporting Member

I had the same but just sprinkled canderel sweetner .
It was suggested that they kill the ants nest by carrying it there .
A bit cruel but essential nothing worse than ants crawling over you it seems to work though ..
Old 10-05-2017, 08:42

We have used the ant stations at home, well away from our dogs. The ants were quickly eradicated without seemingly attracting more to our home and area. Thankfully not had a problem with them for years, might be more of a problem in rural areas?

Non seen at caravan, but if ever an issue would go back to the bait traps, carefully and safely placed.

Hope soon sorted x
Old 10-05-2017, 12:11

Everyone thinks different, but does not sound you have a major problem with ants and would have thought with the small amount you are getting it is not far off being normal. I would probably just leave things as they are unless you start getting a major problem with them. Sounds as though you are possibly just making hard work for yourself with all the cleaning you are doing, as I don't really think the clean environment would make much difference as far as ants are concerned?
Old 10-05-2017, 15:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhb View Post
Be careful when using ant "killer" traps. They often work by having the ants take the poison back to their nest. In order to do this, they first have to attract the ants to the poison.
Somebody did this after seeing a few ants, put the poison down, which then attracted every ant in the area, and a few wandering ants turned into a procession of a few thousand - took over a week to stop....
Ants scout around - it is what they do - and unless there is something to attract them, the odd one or two won't turn in to a regular stream.
Good point, never considered this possibility