Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Buying A Static Caravan

Buying A Static Caravan Advice for those about to purchase a static caravan.

Old 16-05-2017, 21:25

Default Any Reasurance Appreciated (a lot)

I high jacked somebody else's topic but thought it best to ask my question separately (sorry new to the forum).
We have just paid a deposit on a new ABI Oakley, spent months looking at parks and caravans before deciding, but as with every new purchase of this value I am nervous, just wanted to get people's views :-
- Wanted a fully galvanised chassis but the park is inland (mid Wales) and the Oakley has a pre galvanised is this enough protection ? (Worried about rust)
- Spent a lot of time looking at insulation and thermal ratings for the colder months (won't use all year but fancy Christmas in it) the Oakley has 100mm roof and floor insulation and 50mm in walls, with a thermal rating of 8.1 which looked good compared to others , is this the right thinking ?
- Noticed a couple of minor issues on initially looking at the caravan that we would want resolving (daft maybe but they carpet to Lino plastic strip was damaged, inner wall joint cover strip come away a little in the hall, plastic screw cap cover missing of mixer shower plate etc), do you get a chance to make a snag list on final handover ?
Thanks for your help, first static after 10 years touring so any advise / reasurance from experienced owners is very much appreciated.

Old 17-05-2017, 06:03

There are Abi Oakleys on our site which are used in the winter and the owners seem happy with them. If its new then yes I would expect to be able to snag and have it sorted out. I'd make my list and get it confirmed before signing. We are inland and non galvanised chassis are the norm and last the 15 years our site allows. Its a heck of lot of money so its normal to be nervous.

Good friends are hard to find, difficult to leave and impossible to forget.
Old 17-05-2017, 09:02

As far as the chassis goes, it may re-assure you to know that residential park homes, which are expected to last 40 plus years, rarely have a galvanised chassis; they are coated with protective paint, but the chassis is not galvanised.
Old 17-05-2017, 15:59

ABI is a great reliable manufacturer and their units are well made and great value for money. No worries.
We use our van all year and it is single glazed with no central heating. Never been an issue with us.

http://joloholidayhome.weebly.com/
Old 17-05-2017, 16:42
Supporting Member

We bought a new ABI Roxbury in 2015. We had a few minor issues which we recorded on a snagging list. ( door adjustments, ripple in kitchen flooring, scratch on glass wall cabinet).
All were dealt with quickly by ABI service guy who couldn't have been more helpful.
Old 17-05-2017, 17:57

Thanks to all for your comments it's great to hear from experienced owners , the Oakley is brand new, we had a good initial walk around the caravan, it was brought onto the park for us but we then wanted it moving to another pitch so I was reluctant to complete any final checks until then just in case anything was damaged in the move.
Hoping to hear some feedback from any ABI Oakley owners so might start another thread but don't want to be seen as a nuisance.
Thanks again.
Old 17-05-2017, 18:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABI1000 View Post
Thanks to all for your comments it's great to hear from experienced owners , the Oakley is brand new, we had a good initial walk around the caravan, it was brought onto the park for us but we then wanted it moving to another pitch so I was reluctant to complete any final checks until then just in case anything was damaged in the move.
Hoping to hear some feedback from any ABI Oakley owners so might start another thread but don't want to be seen as a nuisance.
Thanks again.
Good idea to check after final setup..
Old 17-05-2017, 20:59
Supporting Member

Chassis will outlive the van in reality
Turn the GCH up and enjoy all year
Draindown (not central heating) after EVERY visit mid Oct to mid April

ABI a good van