Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Buying A Static Caravan

Buying A Static Caravan Advice for those about to purchase a static caravan.

Old 17-05-2017, 19:26

Default Which one?

Hi,
First post, looking for some friendly advice for our first caravan purchase.

We have viewed sites and vans and have decided on a nice site. We are stuck on the van!

Option 1 - Brand new Willerby Shrewsbury, MY 2017, 2bed, 6 berth, 35x12 - 31,300 with delivery

or

Option 2 - 2010 Willerby Winchester, 3 bed, 8 berth, 38x12 - 27,995 with delivery.

Both lovely vans and we are leaning towards the new one. Any one own either or has any views that could help our decision?

Thanks

Mal

Old 17-05-2017, 19:45

We are just in the middle of buying our first static as well, the decider for us was the age limit of caravans allowed on the park (15 years in our case) it is based on the age of the actual caravan so for example in your case the Winchester would only give you 8 years before a change was needed, the Shrewsbury you would get the full 15 years, do the maths on depreciation over the years and the extra on the new caravan it will work out better as long as your in it for the long run.
Add this to a new caravan having a warranty etc so your first years should be worry free if something goes wrong and the little extra 3000 is worth it in my eyes.
Old 17-05-2017, 19:55

Hi ABI1000,

Thanks, the site we have chosen has no age limit. It's just very plain with nothing there, landscaped beautifully, kids can ride their bikes and a lovely stream under the rear decking. Your logic is pretty much the same as ours though, the prices are too close to not think the new one is a better deal for us,

Thanks again

Mal
Old 17-05-2017, 20:54

Here's a good idea....ask the site if they will give you a guaranteed cash buyback on the Shrewsbury of 15000 when it is 5 years old....

When they wont, that should tell you what the 7 year old One is really worth

In 2010 i bought a Swift Moselle new,sited for 32000 in the lakes, the site gave me 18000 for it 14 months later

By the new one, but have your eyes WIDE open regarding (real) depreciation
Old 17-05-2017, 22:22

Check the seating layout and see which one best suits your pitch , do you need 3 bedrooms ? We have the Shrewsbury , had it a couple of years and love it , had to do snagging like with any new van but it's repaired free and everything's under warranty , the other van is 7 yrs old so no guarantees . Whereabouts you getting it ?
Old 18-05-2017, 17:41

Hi slattster

The warranty is for sure a bonus. We probably don't need 3 rooms just trying to cater for guests. The van will be sited at Carmel in Welshpool

Mal
Old 18-05-2017, 18:18

Me - the newer one.

Good friends are hard to find, difficult to leave and impossible to forget.
Old 18-05-2017, 19:52
Supporting Member

hi, i have just gone through your dilemma, new vs older site licence, how long do we want the caravan for etc etc, i went with a new one, that way halfway through i can choose, where as the older one would be finished and i would be left either going elsewhere or buying a replacement in 8 or 9 years time, i went with the new, the advances in heating and insulation even over the 8 or so years has advanced, so has the manufacturers moved with the times decor colour coding etc, so for me its a new van, as for 3 vs 2 beds basically 3 beds are squeezed into the same plan as 2 beds, with a little stolen from the lounge and kitchen area, and ( i have not viewed the plans ) the loss of the en suite as well ? so 2 bed new, after all are you buying the van for you or your guests, ?? not being nasty but the van is for you and guests can always fit in somewhere, my first 10p worth !!
hope you enjoy which ever van you choose, we are at cringoed caravan park and about to go on our 2nd weekend, again with the car full of new stuff for the van, the owner paul has a few vans there new and older, but a great selection of new vans from 19k to 34k, and a willerby shrewsbury at 29k i think ?? take a look, either way enjoy, mark
Old 18-05-2017, 19:59
Supporting Member

hi, i have just gone through your dilemma, new vs older site licence, how long do we want the caravan for etc etc, i went with a new one, that way halfway through i can choose, where as the older one would be finished and i would be left either going elsewhere or buying a replacement in 8 or 9 years time, i went with the new, the advances in heating and insulation even over the 8 or so years has advanced, so has the manufacturers moved with the times decor colour coding etc, so for me its a new van, as for 3 vs 2 beds basically 3 beds are squeezed into the same plan as 2 beds, with a little stolen from the lounge and kitchen area, and ( i have not viewed the plans ) the loss of the en suite as well ? so 2 bed new, after all are you buying the van for you or your guests, ?? not being nasty but the van is for you and guests can always fit in somewhere, my first 10p worth !!
hope you enjoy which ever van you choose, we are at cringoed caravan park and about to go on our 2nd weekend, again with the car full of new stuff for the van, the owner paul has a few vans there new and older, but a great selection of new vans from 19k to 34k, and a willerby shrewsbury at 29k i think ?? take a look, either way enjoy, mark
Old 19-05-2017, 18:23

Thanks guys. The new one it is. Your right mark guests can stay in the shed!!