Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Owning A Caravan

Owning A Caravan Discussion about owning a caravan.

Old 28-12-2019, 17:18

Default Can a gas regulator freeze up in winter?

We visited our static at the start of this month on the coldest weekend of the year. I was worried about the gas lasting all night so I hooked up a fresh 47kg cylinder of propane in the afternoon. The cooker and fire worked fine all night till we went to bed.
When I got up at 6.30 it was VERY cold and there was no gas coming out of the fire or the cooker. I knew there was plenty in the cylinder. Not a great start to the day. We've spent some very cold winter weekends at the van and never had any problems.
Once it was daylight I uncoupled the gas regulator, tapped it a few times on the cylinder, blew down it and hooked it back up to the cylinder. Bingo, the gas started coming through again fine.
Has this ever happened to anyone else? Could moisture have frozen in the regulator overnight which then blocked the flow? This is the only thing I can think of as the system is very basic. Is there anything else I should be checking or doing to prevent this from happening again? Any ideas or suggestions much appreciated.

Old 29-12-2019, 07:18
Supporting Member

It does appear to be a known problem.
When we were on piped gas people around us used outside tap protective ( insulated )collars to help against this.
Old 29-12-2019, 17:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
We visited our static at the start of this month on the coldest weekend of the year. I was worried about the gas lasting all night so I hooked up a fresh 47kg cylinder of propane in the afternoon. The cooker and fire worked fine all night till we went to bed.
When I got up at 6.30 it was VERY cold and there was no gas coming out of the fire or the cooker. I knew there was plenty in the cylinder. Not a great start to the day. We've spent some very cold winter weekends at the van and never had any problems.
Once it was daylight I uncoupled the gas regulator, tapped it a few times on the cylinder, blew down it and hooked it back up to the cylinder. Bingo, the gas started coming through again fine.
Has this ever happened to anyone else? Could moisture have frozen in the regulator overnight which then blocked the flow? This is the only thing I can think of as the system is very basic. Is there anything else I should be checking or doing to prevent this from happening again? Any ideas or suggestions much appreciated.
I suppose it's possible I have often seen roofers who use propane bottles to melt the roof bitchamen their bottles get iced up on the outside ?....Never seen it on a caravan bottle before ? Could it be the type of gas ?....Calor .. Propane....Mac gas ...Etc ????
Old 30-12-2019, 10:28

Peter thanks for your contribution. I've read that propane freezes at -44 degrees. It definitely wasn't that cold, more like -5. So I'm thinking that it was moisture or water vapour freezing somewhere in the system and the likeliest place that I can think of where this might happen is the regulator or the connection to the cylinder.
Old 30-12-2019, 20:31

Sonic, it sounds like your regulator connects directly to the cylinder rather than being permanently fixed.
Make sure the breather hole in the regulator casing is pointing downwards.

G
Old 03-01-2020, 09:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gram View Post
Sonic, it sounds like your regulator connects directly to the cylinder rather than being permanently fixed.
Make sure the breather hole in the regulator casing is pointing downwards.

G
Gram thanks for your suggestion. My regulator is a bogstandard red one without a breather hole that does connect directly to the cylinder. I think you're referring to the propane regulators that have two chambers, one of which has a vent that needs to be pointing down.
However you got me to do some more research to get to the bottom of this and I came across a credible online article that recommends that regulators be changed every five years. I've had my static for nearly four years and the regulator was probably fitted way before then. I think it may be time to renew it and see how I get on. You can get them with gauges now that indicate the level of propane in the tank, although these seem to get mixed reviews...
Old 03-01-2020, 15:42

the company that does my yearly gas test told me 2018 that i needed the regulator and hose replacing as it would be out of datefor 2019 test when due for test and certificate in sept 2019 i had these replaced at same time.They have a code on that tells when fitted and need to be replaced.