Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Owning A Caravan

Owning A Caravan Discussion about owning a caravan.

Old 10-04-2016, 12:33

Default Flies

Hi to all. Now the new season has begun I guess the same old issues crop up! Has anyone got a good solution to prevent flies coming in when the door is open? Please don't say close the door!!. I'd be interested to hear all the different ideas. Thanks

Old 10-04-2016, 12:40

We use these http://www.amazon.co.uk/Magnetic-Fly...ds=fly+screens
Old 10-04-2016, 13:05
Departed Friend

strange you should post about flies.i have just come back to the van and noticed there are none on the outside of our van,but the van next to us is covered with them.
Old 10-04-2016, 13:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick1950 View Post
strange you should post about flies.i have just come back to the van and noticed there are none on the outside of our van,but the van next to us is covered with them.
Perhaps somebody is dead in there
Old 10-04-2016, 13:17

ROFL! You'd better look in through the window Mick, but don't forget the peg for your nose.
Old 10-04-2016, 13:35
Supporting Member

I found this whilst searching the www a while ago, I made a note of it but can't remember whose site it was from.
I've not yet tried it but will once the little pests start making an appearance.

Peppermint Oil
This oil is fantastic and can be bought online, in chemists or aromatherapy shops. Pure concentrated peppermint oil can be mixed with water in a spray bottle. Around 8 drops to a half litre container will work.
Having mixed your oil and water you can spray in all the places that bugs tend to hide, on the window frames and around the doors. You can also spray outside around your static caravan. If you have an ant problem you can really test this out by spraying the ants with the mixture and they will disappear, not returning for up to a month even if it rains in between.
Spiders detest peppermint oil so if you suffer from arachnophobia you should always keep a bottle handy.
As an arachnophobic person, I acknowledge that I have an irrational fear and that it is not the spiderís fault I am frightened of it. Hence, I donít like the idea of killing them but take the view that they have a million places to live other than in holiday static caravans, and more particularly in mine! Peppermint oil doesnít kill them but it does keep them away. It also keeps the flies at a minimum.
Old 10-04-2016, 14:46
Departed Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
ROFL! You'd better look in through the window Mick, but don't forget the peg for your nose.
i once did that on a previous park with a van the owner was renovating.i said loudly to my wife that it was b.........y horrible inside,and wasn,t worth renovating.only to then realise that the owner was inside by the window i was looking through,and he heard every word..............so embarrasing.
Old 10-04-2016, 15:00

Thanks Mevennais for you reply, is this something that you've bought and used? and was is successful.
Old 10-04-2016, 15:02

Quote:
i once did that on a previous park with a van the owner was renovating.i said loudly to my wife that it was b.........y horrible inside,and wasn,t worth renovating.only to then realise that the owner was inside by the window i was looking through,and he heard every word..............so embarrasing.
So unlucky for you he was still alive an kicking then, or a ghost
Old 10-04-2016, 15:03
Supporting Member

Quote:
Brilliant Mick and so easily done. Did they ever invite you round for a drink ?
Woops