Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Before Owning A Caravan

Before Owning A Caravan Discussion and advice on all aspects involved in deciding if a static caravan is right for you.

Old 04-08-2016, 20:59

Default Swift statics and flies?

Hi All,

Just been reading on here that some caravans seem prone to plagues of flies! Some saying they get into the cavitys in wall and roof. Also read that Swift vans seem to suffer more than most. As we are looking at upgrading to a new Swift this has concerned me. Is this manufacturer prone to this and are flies in general a problem. Couldn't bear infestations in walls and ceilings?

Old 04-08-2016, 22:12

They do suffer from flies no idea why, but this forum is packed with ideas on prevention.
Old 04-08-2016, 22:19
Supporting Member

It would be unfair of me to suggest that Swift have problems generally with regard to fly infestations. I can see no reason why their product should be more prone to this problem than any other. After all, all manufacturers tend to build their caravans in a similar way, using very often, the same materials.
I can understand your concern though as I too have read a number of posts suggesting Swift suffer a problem with flies more than most. Nobody has explained though, why or how this should be the case.
When we were looking to buy new, we were advised we should look at several brands of caravan and it was pointed out that Swift would be the one to avoid as I understood there had been more problems with them than other manufacturers. Flies though we're not mentioned specifically.
I recall most posts on here referring to this issue relate to cluster flies and again, I can see no reason they would be attracted more to Swift.
We chose an ABI and about 18 months on, we have never seen a cluster fly I am pleased to say. However, during the very hot spell recently, we were inundated with houseflies which nearly drove me insane and TBH, put me right off our caravan.
We have been back twice since and all has returned to normal thank goodness.
No doubt you will get some Swift owners posting their experiences which may be more helpful.
Hope it works out for you whichever way you decide.
Old 04-08-2016, 22:43

I was interested in buying a Swift Moselle, hence the thread I started below. Loved the layout of the van, but in the end decided not to chance it.

Do know someone with a Swift Chamonix and he has told me he has no problems with flies, still not sure if I would chance it though unless I was buying his van

http://www.gostatic.co.uk/showthread...+moselle+flies

Last edited by Cylon; 04-08-2016 at 22:50. Reason: Added Information
Old 04-08-2016, 23:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
It would be unfair of me to suggest that Swift have problems generally with regard to fly infestations. I can see no reason why their product should be more prone to this problem than any other. After all, all manufacturers tend to build their caravans in a similar way, using very often, the same materials.
I can understand your concern though as I too have read a number of posts suggesting Swift suffer a problem with flies more than most. Nobody has explained though, why or how this should be the case.
When we were looking to buy new, we were advised we should look at several brands of caravan and it was pointed out that Swift would be the one to avoid as I understood there had been more problems with them than other manufacturers. Flies though we're not mentioned specifically.
I recall most posts on here referring to this issue relate to cluster flies and again, I can see no reason they would be attracted more to Swift.
We chose an ABI and about 18 months on, we have never seen a cluster fly I am pleased to say. However, during the very hot spell recently, we were inundated with houseflies which nearly drove me insane and TBH, put me right off our caravan.
We have been back twice since and all has returned to normal thank goodness.
No doubt you will get some Swift owners posting their experiences which may be more helpful.
Hope it works out for you whichever way you decide.
Thanks Rainbow Bigland has just posted that they do seem to suffer? The park also has a new Carnaby Oakdale that a friend has also just bought that while not as plush as the Chamonix is a really nice layout from my novice view point though Treetops said they are an excellent company
Old 04-08-2016, 23:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cylon View Post
I was interested in buying a Swift Moselle, hence the thread I started below. Loved the layout of the van, but in the end decided not to chance it.

Do know someone with a Swift Chamonix and he has told me he has no problems with flies, still not sure if I would chance it though unless I was buying his van

http://www.gostatic.co.uk/showthread...+moselle+flies
Thanks Cylon it's a real minefield though once again shows how amazing this forum is. I like the Chamonix but like you say do you take the risk. There's quite a few reports of cluster flies on here around Swift especially on the Moselle I was trying to convince myself that as the Chamonix is a bit further up the range it may not suffer the same.There's also a Carnaby Oakdale for sale not as plush (reflected in the price) but seems a very nice layout also Treetops has spoke highly of Carnaby on here and he would know.
Old 05-08-2016, 00:58

Our van is an Atlas and we've never had any problems with flies apart from the odd one or two. It is odd that the Swift vans have this problem and I've noticed a Swift van on our site that had a lot of dead flies in the windows but this might just be coincidence. Treetops and Bigland are both very knowledgeable as its their livelihoods and I would be inclined to go with what they say. Carnaby are known to be very good quality although I wouldn't know from a personal point of view. Treetopper's van is a Carnaby and I know that his is well made so I guess you're going to have to decide which one to go for based on how you feel about each van.

We say that you know when you've found the right van as soon as you step inside so perhaps you will have to rely on your gut feeling.
Old 06-08-2016, 06:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkyboy View Post
Hi All,

Just been reading on here that some caravans seem prone to plagues of flies! Some saying they get into the cavitys in wall and roof. Also read that Swift vans seem to suffer more than most. As we are looking at upgrading to a new Swift this has concerned me. Is this manufacturer prone to this and are flies in general a problem. Couldn't bear infestations in walls and ceilings?
I dont believe there is any REAL evidence to say any manufacturer is more or less prone
Old 03-11-2016, 20:04

Default Mosselle flies

Hi all, I own a 2015 swift Mosselle and have recently had an infestation of flies and wasps. I have owned Statics before but never had it this bad. The problem seems to be that Swift havn`t sealed the ceiling/roof correctly from the outside allowing the flies into the ceiling cavity. The overhang/porch at the front of the caravan has gaps behind the guttering big enough to get my hand in, don`t know if it`s only my caravan. The flies have got into the ceiling and walls and are also in the downlights. The Caravan Dealer/Aftersales are currently on the case and I am hoping Swift will rectify the problem. Will keep you informed.
Old 03-11-2016, 23:29

Yeah , let us know if you get a resolution , doubt you will. We had flies 2 years ago , none last year , some again this year. If you walk around the site you will see various vans with flies in , I think it's just pot luck . I read they don't like certain herbs so gonna plant some of them around the van next year and maybe a bowl full of dried herbs near the vents . We only get them this time of year so hopefully they are dying off now and there won't be any this weekend.