Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Owning A Caravan

Owning A Caravan Discussion about owning a caravan.

Old 07-03-2011, 22:41
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeTops View Post
Try applying citronella oil around the vents and any area on the caravan where you see flies collecting..

Good luck

Andy
we used cintronella candles in greece on the balcony to keep the mossies awy, it worked a treat....

NEVER REGRET ANYTHING THAT MADE YOU SMILE

Old 07-03-2011, 22:53

Send a message via MSN to Bobsnobs Send a message via Skype™ to Bobsnobs

Hi Dizzle

That is what we are waiting for too. I dont want lots of dead flies to stay in the loft area where Pest Control cant reach, soleaving the to fly away is the better option. Once this is done we will apply a deterant ourselves onto the outside of the van. Most of the flies were on the south facing wall of the van where the sun is the warmest. We will crack I am sure.
Old 10-03-2011, 16:16

Hi guys

when we start going to our caravan this year we will be taking our electric fly killer similar to the ones you see on shop walls just leave it on the side in the kitchen only 20 off ebay, but we will take it home with us when we go back home as we use it in the kitchen and it is great kills hundreds of flies from green fly to wasps and moths.
in Sunny Cornwall.
Old 10-03-2011, 16:23

People all over France use this:

http://www.redtopflycatcher.co.uk/
Old 04-04-2011, 16:55

Send a message via MSN to Bobsnobs Send a message via Skype™ to Bobsnobs

Well the saga continues. I noticed In October that flies were still getting in and watched them crawl through gaps between the patio doors. Hubby sealed these and alas no more flies or so i thought. We went back this weekend for the first time. Opon opening the door I kid you not there must have been at least 700 dead flies in the lounge area 40 odd in the master bedroom and flies dotted round other parts of the van as we had left all the doors open for the winter. I was gobsmacked how did they get into the van? We know there would have been hundreds in the wall cavity & roof space and we know that March/April they fly off (Hubby not convinced they fly off ..he said "Where would they go Marbella??"). After hoovering them all up which took ages and lots of tears we settled for the evening. Saturday morning hubby shouted Ildi dont flush the chain. He noticed that the soil pipe had come adrift from the van.. I wont go into details what lay beneath the van YUK. Hense he thinks the flies gained access up for the sink plug holes which I had plugged for the winterisation but obviously due to the draining up they did not put the plug back into the sinks in the kitchen & bathrooms. I am still convinced these flies are still getting in through window gaps etc but my husband thinks otherwise. Since cleaning them up on Saturday we did not see anymore flies at all. I am due to go back next week with my grandson and i have said if there are more flies I am selling th van (Very childish of me I know). Sorry about the long rant folks.

Last edited by Bobsnobs; 04-04-2011 at 16:58.
Old 04-04-2011, 18:23

Thats awful and I would be just as upset. My nan had a wooden house and her loft was always full of flies by the sackfull and yet the next door neighbours ( a semi detached) never got any. Hope you get it sorted.

Good friends are hard to find, difficult to leave and impossible to forget.
Old 04-04-2011, 18:30
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobsnobs View Post
Well the saga continues. I noticed In October that flies were still getting in and watched them crawl through gaps between the patio doors. Hubby sealed these and alas no more flies or so i thought. We went back this weekend for the first time. Opon opening the door I kid you not there must have been at least 700 dead flies in the lounge area 40 odd in the master bedroom and flies dotted round other parts of the van as we had left all the doors open for the winter. I was gobsmacked how did they get into the van? We know there would have been hundreds in the wall cavity & roof space and we know that March/April they fly off (Hubby not convinced they fly off ..he said "Where would they go Marbella??"). After hoovering them all up which took ages and lots of tears we settled for the evening. Saturday morning hubby shouted Ildi dont flush the chain. He noticed that the soil pipe had come adrift from the van.. I wont go into details what lay beneath the van YUK. Hense he thinks the flies gained access up for the sink plug holes which I had plugged for the winterisation but obviously due to the draining up they did not put the plug back into the sinks in the kitchen & bathrooms. I am still convinced these flies are still getting in through window gaps etc but my husband thinks otherwise. Since cleaning them up on Saturday we did not see anymore flies at all. I am due to go back next week with my grandson and i have said if there are more flies I am selling th van (Very childish of me I know). Sorry about the long rant folks.
O god!!! Ildi
that's awful.... i am with you i am afraid, if i had that amount of flies in my van i would off down the road!! i cant bear them!! we had a couple of really lazy, slow ones in my van last time ( they must have woken up from the winter) they wern't there long i can tell you....
what on earth are you going to do?
Have you asked your neighbours on either side of you if they have any flies? your van isnt over some sort of flypit/breeding mound or something is it??
and it is not a long rant.... i hope someone on here can come up with something useful to tell you how to get rid of them... in fact, you need to work out why and where dont you..
sorry i cant help you but i just wanted to say something... cos it is awful for you ..x

NEVER REGRET ANYTHING THAT MADE YOU SMILE
Old 04-04-2011, 18:37

That sounds really awful, Lets hope when you go back there are no more,
Old 04-04-2011, 18:59
Social Media Boss

Location: Barmouth, Gwynedd - where the mountains meet the sea

Sorry you're still having problems bobs, someone must have a solution for you somewhere on here! come on folks!! Damsel in distress!!!

'Keep the faith' bobs, someone will sort it out for you

Live life forwards, but learn from it backwards ...

My 'New Old Girl'
Old 04-04-2011, 19:18

How awful for you, I hope someone can come up with some answers for you. Really feel for you, I'd hate it and would be in the same frame of mind I'm afraid.