Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Polls

Polls Start or answer static caravan related polls

View Poll Results: I Trusted the person who sold me my caravan?
Fully 8 22.22%
A Lot 8 22.22%
Mostly 12 33.33%
A Little 3 8.33%
Somewhat 5 13.89%
Not At All 0 0%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-08-2016, 16:28
Administrator

Default I Trusted My Saleperson.....?

A question that often crops up on the forum and one that I get asked via pm/email a lot is about a lack of trust in the salesperson when buying a caravan.

I know that people only tend to reach out for help or to share their experience when things go wrong so I thought it would be good to ask the forum about how much you trusted your sales person.

If you could add in the thread the type of site you are on (biggie ie Haven, Park Resorts or smaller but still a chain or an owner/operator style park) and why you felt the way you did it would be great.

Follow us on Twitter (Info)

Old 08-08-2016, 16:40

Well.... Where to begin???

Firstly I am not on my site anymore, (privately owned site, owner does have few more sites also), we didn't part on good terms after 5 good years, as I felt we had been lied to when we purchased. Oh not directly out of the mouth of the site owner, but as good as in my opinion considering he was sat in the office with us at the time (he liked to meet new owners).

When we bought, it was made clear to us there was no age limit, even though the agreement did give an end date, the manager assured us that as long as the van was kept in good condition there would be no problem.

We especially asked this question as we purchased the van from a small inheritance and knew we would not be in a position to upgrade in the future. Our van was 8 years old when we bought and had a license upto 15 yrs.

We were not asked to leave or upgrade, but others on the park where, who had also been told no age restriction etc when they purchased. When I confronted the owner he side stepped my point and to me shown himself to be a deceitful person.

We made the decision to sell up, which we did. We still have friends on site, but overall moral is very low and lots of people are leaving.

So my advice would be don't take someone's word, get everything in writing. We loved our van but the outcome did sour our experience and I would not recommend my site to anyone.
Old 08-08-2016, 21:55

I guess I did or I wouldn't have parted with more money than our house cost. But we did read everything cover to cover. We did speak to other owners and we asked so many questions by email and kept the copy of the replies we must have driven them mad. We are with Hoburne. Seven sites I think so no Haven but not a single family run site either

Good friends are hard to find, difficult to leave and impossible to forget.
Old 09-08-2016, 07:42

It's too early for me to make a considered view as our van has yet to be sited, Hopefully it will be on site very soon.

The park is a single family owned park with staff that I have been impressed with. I will revisit the thread later in the year and post an update.
Old 09-08-2016, 08:06

I think generally people get what they think they are getting, its only later when annual charges creep in and the small print rears its ugly head that people then question what they have actually signed up to. Even worse when they come to sell up!

http://joloholidayhome.weebly.com/
Old 09-08-2016, 08:58

It amazes me how many people do not get a written agreement, and believe the site owner,salesperson when they say no age limit,or think they heard them say that...also some sites change their length of season and just push the costs on ,without discussion...think some on here have found that recently,PR, PL are examples..
Old 09-08-2016, 20:12

Ours was the site owner , he has 3 small sites , we trusted him , he went through everything with us answering everything on my list , with it being a small site and has a owner who says he is in it for the long run ( we believe him and it was a selling point ) I think there are less complications than on a big site. we have no written agreement , park rules are generally no dog muck and respect each other and it seems to work. He is always on the end of the phone or an email and so far has been true to his word .... Though we have learnt to add 500 on to any initial price he gives us.
Old 09-08-2016, 20:43

Well my daughter brought me up to believe a verbal agreement is worth only the paper its written on. So if they wont confirm what they have said in writing I assume its not actually true

Good friends are hard to find, difficult to leave and impossible to forget.
Old 11-08-2016, 23:27

I mostly trusted the salesperson. I bought my van on a small site (site owner owns 2 sites). Mine was a private sale, but it had to go through the site and had to have a meeting with the warden. I made sure I read all the site rules and the contract thoroughly before I parted with any money. I also had a good look round the site and spoke to several owners. Some of them have been on site for 40+ years.
I suppose it's because I work in finance, I have to read everything - especially the small print!!
Old 12-08-2016, 08:17

I voted 'Fully'. Nothing more to say, except I'd do it all again with our site owners in an instant, couldn't be happier