Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Selling A Caravan

Selling A Caravan Discussion about selling a caravan.

Old 14-02-2017, 16:17

Default Not a nice way to do business

I would like to share Static Caravan experience with a site in Cheshire, not a happy tale Iím afraid.
I bought a new Willerby Vogue in 2008, had it sited and had a £6500 decking erected.
We decided a couple of months ago to sell up. The site owner said the dealer might be willing to buy back the Vogue.
A representative of the dealer viewed the caravan, the dealer said they would buy the static caravan but would be removing the caravan from site and a price agreed on this basis.
Obviously had the caravan been remaining on site, with the expensive decking, the value would be greatly enhanced.
The site owner sent e-mails confirming the caravan was to be removed from the site and to facilitate this they would decommission and remove the decking for us.
All very helpful.
What actually happened, as soon as we handed over the keys, the Caravan was advertised for sale, on site and with the exceptional decking in place.
So we paid a lower price because the static was to be removed and we were paid nothing for the decking, which was also to be removed.
Unfortunately, like many other posts, not all site owners conduct their business in a trustworthy way.

Old 14-02-2017, 17:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCL View Post
I would like to share Static Caravan experience with a site in Cheshire, not a happy tale Iím afraid.
I bought a new Willerby Vogue in 2008, had it sited and had a £6500 decking erected.
We decided a couple of months ago to sell up. The site owner said the dealer might be willing to buy back the Vogue.
A representative of the dealer viewed the caravan, the dealer said they would buy the static caravan but would be removing the caravan from site and a price agreed on this basis.
Obviously had the caravan been remaining on site, with the expensive decking, the value would be greatly enhanced.
The site owner sent e-mails confirming the caravan was to be removed from the site and to facilitate this they would decommission and remove the decking for us.
All very helpful.
What actually happened, as soon as we handed over the keys, the Caravan was advertised for sale, on site and with the exceptional decking in place.
So we paid a lower price because the static was to be removed and we were paid nothing for the decking, which was also to be removed.
Unfortunately, like many other posts, not all site owners conduct their business in a trustworthy way.
It rather seems as though some sharp practice has been used in this instance.

I know it's too late to give advice that would be helpful to you but for any other member who may not need to sell quickly, I would advise selling it privately through the park.

On our site if we do that we have a 15% payment to make to the park, but at least you can negotiate your own selling price. Obviously the decking would be in the price that you decide on.
Old 14-02-2017, 17:54

Did they sell it?
Old 14-02-2017, 18:29

Up for sale at the moment.
Our site has same conditions, sell privately and 15% fee. We were happy to accept the reduced offer for a quick sale, but on the understanding that the van and the decking would be removed. Perhaps "sharp practice" is an understatement
Old 14-02-2017, 19:20

Wow, that's disgusting. Is there nothing you can do? Have you tried CAB or Trading Standards? I don't know if they can help but surely something should be done, that's just wrong :-(
Old 14-02-2017, 21:12

Out of interest, would you be prepared to say how much you got for it and/or to name the site in cheshire?
Old 14-02-2017, 21:18

[QUOTE
[/QUOTE]

GCL

So sorry to read about this.

Based on the above statement I would be straight on to an advisory service, N.A.C.O. or similar. Explan what has happened and seek advise...It's only my opinion but you agreed a sale price on the basis of " removal from site "
As that clearly didn't happen and furthermore it still on site, sited and up for sale then I would have thought you had a good case to have the " sale " challenged.
I might be wrong though!
Best of luck
Dave
Old 14-02-2017, 21:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faymoore View Post
[QUOTE
GCL

Based on the above statement I would be straight on to an advisory service, N.A.C.O. or similar. Explan what has happened and seek advise...It's only my opinion but you agreed a sale price on the basis of " removal from site "
As that clearly didn't happen and furthermore it still on site, sited and up for sale then I would have thought you had a good case to have the " sale " challenged.
I might be wrong though!
Best of luck
Dave[/QUOTE]

i would not hold your breath on that one,once you transfer title of something under a private treaty,unless you specified in writing some 'extraordinary Ts and Cs' you lose control of the item

Not nice but a fact of life or 'sharp practice' as described elsewhere
Old 14-02-2017, 22:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshirecat View Post
GCL

I might be wrong though!
Best of luck
Dave
i would not hold your breath on that one,once you transfer title of something under a private treaty,unless you specified in writing some 'extraordinary Ts and Cs' you lose control of the item

Not nice but a fact of life or 'sharp practice' as described elsewhere[/QUOTE]

Well that does not sound to promising for GCL then, Cheshire.

Dave.
Old 14-02-2017, 23:16

GCL. I'm going to play devils advocate here. First of all its not comfortable reading this. As a medium size park operator it would not sit well with me. BUT. You had the choice of a private sale which you declined. You had a good run out of the van. I assume the price paid was satisfactory to you, and you stated you wanted a quick sale. Whether it stays on site or off is of no consequence, you agreed a sale price and shook hands.

Sometimes, rarely, but sometimes we will buy a van into stock with every intention of trading off park. A few weeks goes by, and a really nice couple turn up saying they want a cheap starter van. They twist our arm, and we release it when our head says put a newer unit on. This is how we make money to reinvest in the site.
Honestly cherish the memories, and move on to your next adventure.