Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Owning A Caravan > Disabled Access Caravan's

Disabled Access Caravan's Discussion about adapting caravans for disable use and all issues regarding disability and static caravans

Old 29-08-2012, 11:05

Location: Barmouth, Gwynedd - where the mountains meet the sea
Default Caring for an elderly or disabled person in your caravan

I have read several members mentioning having elderly or disabled relatives/friends staying with them in their caravans, and I was wondering if those members would like to share experiences with us to help others in the same situation?

How have you overcome difficulties such as coping with the limited space in the bathroom/bedroom? Dining room fixed seating? Steps into caravan? Where do you store a wheelchair/mobility scooter? Access to your caravan from the car etc.

I don't expect you to talk in any more depth than you are happy to do, just a few helpful tips for others, would be so helpful

Thanks, Angie

Live life forwards, but learn from it backwards ...

http://s1090.photobucket.com/user/ae...?sort=2&page=1

Old 29-08-2012, 14:36
Supporting Member

for what it's worth.... my experience with my Mother(84) haven't been all that successful when she has been invited to the van..

she was very excited when i got it but she is not so enthusiastic now that she has been to stay..

mostly cos she cant smoke in my van ( nor can anybody) and so she has to go outside.. which means going down the stairs as we have no decking... she finds the stairs a chore and to be honest, i am afraid she is going to fall down them so i have to go with her...

she says:.......
the beds are too narrow for her....
she wont use the shower as it is too small
she thinks my telly is too small and hers at home is much better....

it is stressful for me as i have to watch her every move( grabbing hold of things for dear life!)
.. and all she wants to do is watch telly all day....

i havent got a problem as to where to store the wheelchair as she wont bloomin well go in it!! so i leave it in the car.....

i think if my caravan was completely re-designed she would like it better!!

NEVER REGRET ANYTHING THAT MADE YOU SMILE

Last edited by Tiamaria589; 29-08-2012 at 15:35.
Old 29-08-2012, 14:48
Banned

AngelaB. My mother in law is 90 and lives alone in her flat we suggested she might be better going into sheltered houseing there would be somone to keep an eye on her and she could make friends so have company.The way she reacted when we made the suggestion you would have thought we were suggesting that she was to old to live on her own. She asks about the van now and then but wouldnt be happy out of her flat also it would be very stressfull as she is quite frail.
Old 29-08-2012, 15:32
Retired Member

I took my mom and dad for the day a few weeks ago. They wouldn't even entertain staying overnight.

We were lucky as the weather was great and we spent most of the time on the deck.

My mom uses a stick and relies very heavily on it. She also leans on anything she can to help her along. I was a bit worried about my bathroom sink in case she used it to pull herself up, but it was ok. I had to help her up and down the steps but we managed ok as we have a hand rail.

They enjoyed their day but don't think they'll want to come again in a hurry, probably more content in their own home where she can hold onto the walls and furniture if she wants to. Having said that it was lovely to take them and I'm glad they have seen it.
Old 29-08-2012, 15:34
Supporting Member

I agree Shuggs and Lindy...

i think some elderly people are 'used' to their homes and their 'home routines' and to take them out of their comfort zone is quite stressful for some people...

hence, I think, why so many elderly people dont want to go to vans when they get an offer....

NEVER REGRET ANYTHING THAT MADE YOU SMILE
Old 29-08-2012, 22:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuggiegreen View Post
AngelaB. My mother in law is 90 and lives alone in her flat we suggested she might be better going into sheltered houseing there would be somone to keep an eye on her and she could make friends so have company.The way she reacted when we made the suggestion you would have thought we were suggesting that she was to old to live on her own. She asks about the van now and then but wouldnt be happy out of her flat also it would be very stressfull as she is quite frail.
Shuggie, i live in Sheltered Housing, it's the best move we have ever made. As long as she can manage by herself, wash herself and cook, there is no problem. A cleaner can be hired easily enough, there's always one about (a private one that is), and carers come in several times a day - if needed. We have coffee mornings every week, trips out etc. (Iwon't mention the gambling, lol). But if she is not able, then it would have to be a care home. In Sheltered Housing, she would have her own privacy, and she could mingle when she wanted. The majority only leave, when they have to go into care homes. It's brilliant in here, we wouldn't change shuggie. And town is only a very short bus trip away, mere minutes. Some of our tennants are well into their 90's here.
Old 30-08-2012, 16:18

Send a message via MSN to susan Send a message via Skype™ to susan

when my son was in his wheelchair we stayed in a bungolow
i remeber seeing a few disabled caravans but at this time they were still not right doors to narrow rooms to small you would not have got a wheelchair in them
now they have made huge inprovments thank god but all to late for my son now
Old 30-08-2012, 16:24
Banned

ZumbaGrandadd. My mother in law is sentimental regarding her small flat she moved into with my father in law when it was new he has been dead many years now but it wa there first new place in there lives.I think you are either like that or your not I personaly am not but I respect her wishes.
Old 30-08-2012, 21:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuggiegreen View Post
ZumbaGrandadd. My mother in law is sentimental regarding her small flat she moved into with my father in law when it was new he has been dead many years now but it wa there first new place in there lives.I think you are either like that or your not I personaly am not but I respect her wishes.
That's good shuggie, we have a couple of elderly Ladies in ours who were like that themselves, but they are happy to have made the change. But it's everyone to their own mind. She's happy there, so let her stay, i say.
Old 30-08-2012, 21:48

My daughter's stepson is disabled and he is 10 yrs old. We have a ramp up onto the decking which is handy for the car parked beside the van. The outside doors are wide enough for his wheelchair but his dad carries him from the living area wherever he needs to go. The shower is fine with a moulded seating area and a small bath area if needed. The single beds are quite narrow when he throws his arms about so we push two together so that he has more room. He loves the caravan and although he can't tell us we can tell by his mood and his eyes. It is an Atlas Everglade which has a large living area which has plenty of room for the wheelchair.