Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Before Owning A Caravan

Before Owning A Caravan Discussion and advice on all aspects involved in deciding if a static caravan is right for you.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:22

Default Confused about heating

I have read the main thread re heating the static and I am more unsure than ever as to which is the best way.
It seems to me that there is no real consensus and that it comes down to cost.

As our intention is to spend every other week on site from March to October, as far as possible, cost of heating will be an important consideration.
If we buy a static with central heating AND the site price of gas is cheap () then THAT may well be best ...... but ..... it may work out cheaper to use oil filled radiators and as long as the static has double glazing, not bother with central heating.

My head hurts

Steve

Old 01-03-2013, 11:39

I suppose the only answer on that would be dependent on what your chosen site charges for gas and electric. Some members on here pay a high rate for electric, others more for gas.

You will have to ask the question when you are looking round site and make an informed decision as you go along.

I have no central heating so its OFR's all the way for me
Old 02-03-2013, 10:09

Kaye,

Thanks for that. Asking site owner what the charges for gas and electricity are is on our list of questions.

Have you ever worked out the actual cost per hour of using the OFS's?

Steve
Old 02-03-2013, 11:07

Meister

We are newbies, first full season.
Although we also have a static with gas central heating and DG we were keen to look at other options because of the cost factor.

Purchased 2 OFR 2500w and will try for a short time for effectiveness / cost element.
There is a website which provides running cost comparisons, which unfortunately I did not bookmark
I will search an add the link if I manage to find it again!
Our bottles are I believe, approx 70.00 each and electricity was about 8p a unit.
(OFR 2500w LIDL 40.00)

Good luck
Dave.
Old 02-03-2013, 17:01

We just back from van...We had gas CH and eleccy fire on...when warmed up put OFR in bedroom(OH watches TV in their while I in lounge watching Skygo),and switched CH off,left fire on as thermostatically controlled
Don't forget as soon as any form of heating goes off..the big tin box cools depending on your insulation very quickly..
I am still experimenting but think it was Mupps who gave probably the best advice...CH on whilst OFR/OFRs heat up..Fire usage would depend on whether gas or electric.
Old 02-03-2013, 19:02

Our caravan isn't double glazed but if I was buying another I wouldn't buy unless it was double glazed. We manage with using the gas fire and small 1000 w OFR we move it around as we need it think it cost us about 10p per hour to run and we managed with one gas bottle last year probably spent around the same time as you intend to in visits but only 3 days per week. Electric bill was 46 for the season. I think it would be cost prohibitive for us to run CH.
Old 02-03-2013, 19:05

I would give OFR's a try. They are relatively inexpensive to purchase (and you could get a couple of different kW sizes).

The nice thing about electrical stuff is its controllability ... depending upon how adventurous you're feeling, you can always add timers, progammers (on/off at various times - like an hour before you usually arrive, for example) or even (various forms) of remote control.

The only snag there is that you would need to leave the mains power on (if you wanted the 'van nice and warm when you arrive).

But I would also consider a small OFR placed under the gas boiler as well - anything to prevent it freezing up!
Old 02-03-2013, 20:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by arronbrook View Post
Our caravan isn't double glazed but if I was buying another I wouldn't buy unless it was double glazed. We manage with using the gas fire and small 1000 w OFR we move it around as we need it think it cost us about 10p per hour to run and we managed with one gas bottle last year probably spent around the same time as you intend to in visits but only 3 days per week. Electric bill was 46 for the season. I think it would be cost prohibitive for us to run CH.
In our old van...we used a halogen heater in front of the fire(gas)...same heat and no condensation....and still got our 1kw OFR as it has 3 heat settings and is as you say very economical
Old 03-03-2013, 11:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greybeard View Post
The nice thing about electrical stuff is its controllability ... depending upon how adventurous you're feeling, you can always add timers, progammers (on/off at various times - like an hour before you usually arrive, for example) or even (various forms) of remote control.

The only snag there is that you would need to leave the mains power on (if you wanted the 'van nice and warm when you arrive).
Timers sound like a good idea
The electricity will be left on all season anyway so that we can keep stuff in the freezer.

Thanks for everyones input.

Steve
Old 04-03-2013, 00:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEISTER View Post
Timers sound like a good idea
The electricity will be left on all season anyway so that we can keep stuff in the freezer.

Thanks for everyones input.

Steve
If you do leave stuff in the freezer while you are away for a while, you will need something to tell you whether the electricity has been off (for long enough to cause defrosting) and come back on. Else you could have problems.

Henry