Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > The Lounge > General Discussion > Hobbies

Hobbies Do you have a hobby? Discuss it here

Old 30-04-2013, 09:25

Default Gardening

After all the hard work last season..our first...getting our pitch sorted out with a patio, lawn, front fence, etc., this year we're concentrating on planting the garden.
First thing we had to do was rabbit proof the front fence and put in a gate, to stop the little varmints eating everything. That's now all done and we've just planted seven shrubs, all different, along the front, and have two buddlias ready to go in at the side to encourage butterflies and insects. Have also put up a bird feeder at the front, it's amazing how quickly the birdies found it and gobbled everything up, I can see its going to cost me an arm and a leg keeping it filled...not that I'm complaining, it's lovely to see all the activity
Next thing will be bedding plants, but I think we'll leave it another week or so to warm up a bit more, would hate the frost to get them.
Anyone else enjoying gardening at the van?
Bunty x

Last edited by Angela M; 30-04-2013 at 11:39. Reason: I've moved this to hobbies for you :)

Old 30-04-2013, 09:38

I dug a little flower bed at the front of our Caravan last August when we bought it. I just planted a couple of small shubs and put some daffodill and tulip bulbs in which look lovely now. When we went up in March I put a small fence round it and have since put some more bulbs, pansies and seeds in which should all flower at different times of the year so it will always look nice. I have also got a few small tubs with different plants in, these are place under the verandha.
The strange thing is I absolutly hate gardening at home but one of the first things I do when I get to the caravan is check on the garden!
Old 30-04-2013, 09:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunty and Biggles View Post
After all the hard work last season..our first...getting our pitch sorted out with a patio, lawn, front fence, etc., this year we're concentrating on planting the garden.
First thing we had to do was rabbit proof the front fence and put in a gate, to stop the little varmints eating everything. That's now all done and we've just planted seven shrubs, all different, along the front, and have two buddlias ready to go in at the side to encourage butterflies and insects. Have also put up a bird feeder at the front, it's amazing how quickly the birdies found it and gobbled everything up, I can see its going to cost me an arm and a leg keeping it filled...not that I'm complaining, it's lovely to see all the activity
Next thing will be bedding plants, but I think we'll leave it another week or so to warm up a bit more, would hate the frost to get them.
Anyone else enjoying gardening at the van?
Bunty x

Dont talk about rabbits.. I think my hubby is going to kill them.. and I'm sure they line up outside the kitchen window when hes washing the pots..
I went on line and even looked up plants Rabbits dont like.. and guess what .. ours do.. so now they are plastic.. lets see if they like them...we enjoy doing the garden at the van..Ive decided to give it a beach theme.. x
Old 30-04-2013, 09:51

Location: Barmouth, Gwynedd - where the mountains meet the sea

Hi Bunty, may I suggest we move this thread to the hobbies section? I started a couple of threads re planting etc, and we had some good ideas popping up

Live life forwards, but learn from it backwards ...

http://s1090.photobucket.com/user/ae...?sort=2&page=1
Old 30-04-2013, 10:06

I fell out of love with gardening a few years ago unfortunately. But, with my OH being a florist, she's going to make some silk arrangements, in pots, for the relaxing veranda. And i am looking forward to them being done.
Old 30-04-2013, 11:32

'Course you must move it Ang I debated where to put it and decided that as I don't class it as a hobby for myself, more of a necessity as I like to see it look nice, a bit like linzi, that I'd stick it in general.
Karen, we went through the whole 'plants they won't touch', 'things to deter them' scenario ourselves and in the end gave in and put very fine wire mesh along the fence. Its a very open fence, three 3" horizontal slats of wood placed three inches apart and not very high. And a gate....really didn't want a gate but needs must So far so good, the acid test will be when the bedding plants go in!!
Zumba, I don't enjoy gardening myself but I do like to see the garden looking nice. Fortunately Biggles is one of those who always has to be on the go so he's quite happy to follow orders
Bunty x
Old 30-04-2013, 14:20
Supporting Member

with our van being to the back of the park near some trees and in a sort of quieter area...... we (well HE) has dug a big border near our van and last summer we were given a hydrangea bush at home and we decided to take it to the van and plant it in the border..
well........... i was driving and hubby had the bloomin thing on the floor by his feet and i could hardly see him!! well we got to van ok and planted it where it has continued to thrive...........

we have some mini daffs to take up to plant and will visit a garden centre for some plants next time we are up there........ hubby likes pottering around outside..... i dont!..... but i do like to see colour.................

so i sit there and give my criticism all from the comfort of my chair...

NEVER REGRET ANYTHING THAT MADE YOU SMILE
Old 30-04-2013, 14:34

I'm not interested in gardening at home, but did help dig out the semi circular patch at the front of our van last week. I even bought four plants to put in. Just before planting them, we realised that the opening in the skirting for under van storage opens across the patch. So now we will have to have very low ground cover in the middle or plants that will bounce back when bashed! Duh!
Old 30-04-2013, 14:38
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmo View Post
I'm not interested in gardening at home, but did help dig out the semi circular patch at the front of our van last week. I even bought four plants to put in. Just before planting them, we realised that the opening in the skirting for under van storage opens across the patch. So now we will have to have very low ground cover in the middle or plants that will bounce back when bashed! Duh!

i tell a lie.... i have actually dug something! when it was boggy after all the water we used to get muddy trying to get to our van so we ( yes me as well) dug some patches of grass up and put some hardcore down and popped some slabs/paving on top.... so now we can walk on them to get across without getting muddy....
but the site has actually dug some work on the drainage now which is good...............

NEVER REGRET ANYTHING THAT MADE YOU SMILE
Old 30-04-2013, 14:45

i tell a lie.... i have actually dug something! when it was boggy after all the water we used to get muddy trying to get to our van so we ( yes me as well) dug some patches of grass up and put some hardcore down and popped some slabs/paving on top.... so now we can walk on them to get across without getting muddy....
but the site has actually dug some work on the drainage now which is good...............[/QUOTE]

I'm pleased to hear that they have done work on drainage for you. None of us want to be clomping through mud. I still need to clean my hiking boots after they became caked in mud from my little bit of gardening last weekend. (procrastinating)