Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Polls

Polls Start or answer static caravan related polls

Old 03-03-2019, 09:02

3 have a unlimited data offer at the moment for £20 a month if anyone’s looking, my wife and I currently have 6gb data deals on our phones so we tether our iPads when we need to.

Old 03-03-2019, 09:03
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter.R View Post
I wondered how do you go on if you have Wi Fi on site but it's pay as you go ...And you only pay when you visit the site....What do you have to do if you a Hive heating thermostat that operates from your phone ?...Do you have to negotiate an annual deal ?... Otherwise it will not switch on etc if Wi Fi is not on constantly.. ?...Am I right in thinking this ???
In respect of the ability to control Hive equipment remotely then the answer is Yes your thinking is correct. You need a router that you can connect a Hive Hub to by a LAN cable.
We wanted to put a wireless room thermostat in our ‘van and when we looked the Hive set was not that much different to others price wise. As the thermostat and boiler receiver will link together without the Hub working they could operate justas well as the other room thermostats. But with the Hub operational it gives us the ability to have remote control of the setup as a bonus.
I must point out the one practical disadvantage the Hive system possibly has though is a frost protection minimum setting of 7 degrees C. which might be a bit high for ‘van. We have not had ours long enough to assess the effect on gas usage yet.
Old 03-03-2019, 09:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
In respect of the ability to control Hive equipment remotely then the answer is Yes your thinking is correct. You need a router that you can connect a Hive Hub to by a LAN cable.
We wanted to put a wireless room thermostat in our ‘van and when we looked the Hive set was not that much different to others price wise. As the thermostat and boiler receiver will link together without the Hub working they could operate justas well as the other room thermostats. But with the Hub operational it gives us the ability to have remote control of the setup as a bonus.
I must point out the one practical disadvantage the Hive system possibly has though is a frost protection minimum setting of 7 degrees C. which might be a bit high for ‘van. We have not had ours long enough to assess the effect on gas usage yet.
Thank for that David...That answers my question perfectly..!
Old 03-03-2019, 10:39
Supporting Member

If you want to just control your central heating remotely then the Hive system is a pretty expensive setup to do such a simple task such as controlling your heating when your away or leaving it on a frost setting.

My Wifi Thermostat cost £23.12, for the one that needs a live and neutral (4 wire) or if your old thermostat has only 2 wire you can get ones with a battery to light up the display, if you don't want to run an additional L & N

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07B963P...d_i=B07B963PK7

The good thing with this one is that you can set the frost setting at 5 degrees which is great for a caravan. This one literally took me just half hour to install, I had to run a new live and neutral, but since the boiler cupboard was in the wall opposite it was an easy fix just adding a length of wire with a plug on the other end and plugged into a spare socket in the cupboard ( MAKE SURE YOU'VE CONNECTED IT FIRST!!)

Then you just download the free App onto your phone, pair up the stat with the Wifi and thats it, it really is as simple and as cheap as that, Now you can turn up the heating before yo get to your caravan

Last edited by Gerry1964; 03-03-2019 at 10:47.
Old 03-03-2019, 12:27
Supporting Member

A follow up to the previous post re Hive settings is that we’ve found a peculiar work round. Whilst if you set the thermostat to “off” the frost protection operates & it’s lowest setting is 7degrees if you set to “manual” you can reduce the temperature down to a lower setting of 5 degrees. Modern technology is a wonderful thing.........
The reason I went for the Hive is I’ve ended up with some very dubious electrical kit from Amazon & eBay in the past so I’d rather go to Toolstation, Screwfix, etc. & buy over the counter.

Last edited by DavidE; 03-03-2019 at 12:34.
Old 04-03-2019, 14:22

No free Wi-Fi for us. New system started last Friday. We were away till Saturday and are at our son's house today. We hope to get it set up tomorrow. 10GBP per month for 20 Gbps. That's download and upload. I got it wrong in my last post on the subject of Wi-Fi I thought it was for 10 Gbps. You can also have 2 Gbps for 40 GBP per year or 50Gbps for 25 GBP per month. I've gone for the 20 Gbps. I'll see how it goes and upgrade if I need to.