Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet

About Supporting Members FUP (Please Read) The GoStatic Reference Hub
Go Back   Static Caravan Owners Advice Forum | Sales | Rental | Sublet > GoStatic University > Before Owning A Caravan

Before Owning A Caravan Discussion and advice on all aspects involved in deciding if a static caravan is right for you.

Old 23-08-2017, 20:13

Default Living in a caravan for a portion of the year (advice needed)

First of all, sorry if this is in the wrong section of the website but it seemed like the right fit. I'm going into a career which will entail me being away from the country for a large portion of the year (6-8 months, different months each year), and am considering a static caravan for the portion of the year that I am home, as it would not be worth my money renting a flat and I could hopefully rent the caravan out while I am away to cover a portion of the site fees. I was wondering whether anyone could provide me with an insight into the logistics of buying a caravan and only living in it for a portion of the year? I have seen that most sites close for a couple of months a year, but I have not found whether the ones that are available for year-round occupancy you are allowed to rent out to holiday goats for the times that you are not there, and any advice would be appreciated.

Old 23-08-2017, 22:05

First of all, sorry if this is in the wrong section of the website but it seemed like the right fit. I'm going into a career which will entail me being away from the country for a large portion of the year (6-8 months, different months each year), and am considering a static caravan for the portion of the year that I am home, as it would not be worth my money renting a flat and I could hopefully rent the caravan out while I am away to cover a portion of the site fees. I was wondering whether anyone could provide me with an insight into the logistics of buying a caravan and only living in it for a portion of the year? I have seen that most sites close for a couple of months a year, but I have not found whether the ones that are available for year-round occupancy you are allowed to rent out to holiday goats for the times that you are not there, and any advice would be appreciated.

Won't the goats make a mess of the caravan?
Old 24-08-2017, 06:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsk1w View Post
to the forum. First and foremost, you would need to find a site that is open 52 weeks per year. There are quite a lot around if you look. On some sites, you have to produce your council tax bill to prove that you do not intend living on a park permanently. This may not be a problem for you as you intend being on site for approximately 4-6 months per year. Some parks allow you to rent out your van and others don't, so you would need to check the rules before buying. Something else to consider is, if you are likely to be in situ during the winter months, you will need to have double glazing and central heating. It may be a good idea to consider a lodge. They are better insulated and caravans can get quite cold in the winter months. A caravan can also be expensive to heat especially if you are using bottled gas.

Another point is that should you come to sell, even after a relatively short period, you stand to lose a lot of money. A caravan or lodge is a good investment in lifestyle but a poor financial investment.

I'm sure that I haven't covered all points but it's quite likely that other members will add to my comments.

Good luck.
Old 25-08-2017, 08:02

Do you currently have a residence either in the UK or abroad?
In order to purchase a holiday home, as Mosquito says, you will need to show proof, such as a Council Tax bill, that you have a permanent residence, which can be either in the UK or abroad.
t sounds as if you are actually looking for somewhere to use as a residence while you are in the UK, so you could have a problem buying a holiday home if you don't actually have a home elsewhere.
If you want something that you can rent out while you are abroad, then a Residential home is no good either, as you are not - by law- allowed to rent out or sublet any part of a Residential Park home.
You may be better off looking for a flat to suit you.
EDIT: just had a thought - as your new job will involve spending so much time away from the UK, presumably your employer is making living arrangements while you are away. Maybe if they provide proof that you are actually living abroad for such a long period, that will be acceptable for buying a holiday home in the UK.
Bear in mind that you will not be able t use a holiday home as a registered address for post, or income tax etc.

Last edited by fhb; 25-08-2017 at 08:52. Reason: had another thought
Old 25-08-2017, 15:55

Get a flat and airbnb when your not there
Old 26-08-2017, 00:46

to the forum GSK1w, As others have pointed out, it could be rather tricky, before you part with your hard earned cash make sure you look at other options, ie airbnb or even a Premier Inn or similar - they may give discounts for renting a room for a month or longer. My site you can have either an 8 or 12 month season, although it is closed for 2 weeks. You do need to have a home address and be on the electoral register, they do check this too. You would need to think about the logistics of renting too with regards to keys, cleaning, checking the van for damage etc. Also, you would need somewhere to store your own personal things when you weren't there. A lot to think about for you. Would it be easier/better to get a place in the new country and come back to the UK for holidays?
Congratulations on your new career, I hope it all works out and you have some wonderful new experiences in a different country.